• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

highsis

Field Marshal
29 Badges
Jan 9, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
I wanted to reinforce my earlier thread, but seeing that it has gone into obscurity and I've deleted CK2 completely due to the problem I'm about to discuss, I decided to open a new thread to present my points in a more convincing manner.

Faction rebellions have become much easier to deal with in ROI. This is due to a change introduced with 2.1 patch that faction members now act under one temporary title holder rather than as allies of each other. While it is a positive change on its own due to the less tedium and the less micromanagement when dealing with a rebelling faction, it has incurred two massive problems.

Problem number One. The liege lord's vassals cannot be called into war.

I believe there is no need to explain how this would make rebellions much less dangerous. While it would make player's attempt to topple their liege harder, it won't be worth the challenges lost under this restriction because players usually play longer on king or emperor tier, and the lack of challenges on such situation can cause players to lose interests quickly in late games.

I will share one of my experience regarding this subject. In one game I played before ROI, I was playing as an emperor of Francia. I faced a faction rebel which was initially not big. However, other vassals of mine hated my guts and flocked to the rebellion. Soon, I and some of my loyal vassals were facing over 300 holdings of my entire empire. However, I didn't expect to lose. I had massive retinues, over 10k ducats, and the entirety of college of cardinals under my control, enabling me to get popes who favours me.

I enlisted help of Holy Roman Empire, Byzantium Empire, Kingdom of England, Kingdom of Spain, and hired over 20k mercs to fight the rebellion. However, I was unable to defeat them easily because the empire was stretched and I was getting sieged in multiple counties simultaneously. I divided my army into 6 stacks to hunt them down, but they replenished and reinforced faster than me eliminating their stacks/sieging their lands. I stubbornly refused to assassinate the leader, and the rebellion lasted full 20 years until I finally won with all my 10k ducats depleted, 3 Popes squeezed thousands of ducats, treason opinion long been expired.

This was one of the most exciting moments of playing CK2.

With ROI, I faced a similar setting, only worse in the context of situation I was in, because this time my French king was an imbecile who was 0 year old. I can't explain the details like my aforementioned experience because this ended real quick. A faction rose up at something like 400% strength. I hired mercs, killed the rebel doom stack, sieged 2 counties, and the rebel was subdued in less than 1 year.

Wow. Actually, No. No. NOOOOO! :(

This felt wrong. If dealing with 400% strength faction were this easy, what's it going to be like with 100% rebels? It's like you've got a guarantee to win as long as you have saved enough money to hire massive mercs.

Let's make one thing clear. I actually approve the new system of a rebel leader holding a temporary title because while it might be less challenging, it reduces micromanagement and fighting doomstack is always fun. However, a rebelling faction's inability to call non faction vassals into war has caused massive boredom that I couldn't stand while playing a king or emperor. I failed to see my imbecile 0 year old king being disposed.

Rebels calling vassals, who were not initially members of the rebelling faction, into war is both realistic and a better design choice in game play perspectives. ;)

ROI is still rather new, and everybody could be testing and having fun with it at the moment, but I strongly believe this restriction I've just discussed will become an issue for many players sooner or later.

Paradox should allow rebelling factions to call the liege's vassals into war, so those vassals will become vassals of the rebelling faction leader if they had accepted the call to arms.

Problem number Two. The second problem is that rebelling faction members now act as 'vassals' of the faction leader, only providing tiny portion of their levies into the rebellion.

I actually have not confirmed this because I've already deleted the game, so please correct me if my reasoning were wrong.

From what I can conjecture with the mechanics, rebelling factions now spawn much less threatening army on top of the inability to call other vassals into war, because faction members don't provide 100% of their levies like they did before ROI.

I don't believe it would be necessary :D to elaborate on this point to prove that how this change will make faction rebellions a much less threat to deal with.

Not only does this give less challenges to players, but it also reduces the overall dynamics of the game. Your dynasties in other kingdoms will easily last longer without your help, and you will face less unexpected events like vassals toppling a liege married to your son in other realms. This will reduce the fun, as I've already experienced multiple times while extensively playing CK2 after ROI.

The conclusion is, that Paradox should make temporary title holders to be able to raise 100% of their temporary vassals' levies to match the faction rebel strength of pre-ROI.

My whole point comes down to this: allow a rebelling faction leader to call the liege's vassals into war. Let a faction leader raise 100% levies of faction members, old and new, when rebelling. Retain the new faction system of a leader holding a temporary title equal to the liege's rank while making these two changes.

Unfortunately, the new faction change has literally took the fun right out of the game and threw it into a grave for me. I can't enjoy the game anymore once I reach a king or emperor tier and secure enough personal holdings and money. Some posters claimed that the ROI faction rebellions are harder to deal with compared to pre-ROI faction rebellions in my previous thread, but now I've explained why that's not the case, I hope I've convinced some of you.

I probably won't play this game as as long as this problem remains although I love CK2 so much. I don't mean to sound sulky or anything, but I'm sincerely just feeling sad that the change has gone unnoticed(at least until now) by the community and it won't be discussed seriously. I wish this thread can start serious discussion on the topic.

Thanks for reading this semi-wall of texts! :D

Last edited:
While I thought this change (all rebels united under one leader) would be a positive one and was probably the feature of RoI I was most looking forward to - I think I agree that it's a little bit too easy now. I can give two examples, both from the Byzantine Empire (because they're who I play as most).

Before RoI - Half of my empire rebelled when a crappy son succeeded to the throne. I knew they would because he had the worst set of traits and stats I've ever seen (he resembled Michael Doukas, with slothful, craven, 0 diplomacy, 0 stewardship, etc), so I had saved up a hell of a lot of gold to hire mercenaries and send gifts to vassals upon succession, hoping it would win a few to my side. Anyway, half the empire rebelled and despite having enough gold to hire basically ALL the mercenaries and all the levies from half my empire and my retinues, I still couldn't win the war and ended up getting de-throned because I just couldn't squash all the rebels quick enough. No sooner had I wiped out an army of 3,000 that were besieging some county, another 3,000 had been raised and were sieging another county, so I'd get my boats, ship my troops over there, squash those ones, and the province I had just lifted the siege of was already fully sieged again. They were everywhere. After years of squashing their armies (I won every single battle) they got 100% warscore on me using these tactics. They won, despite me still having thousands of gold left and an army of about 15,000 mostly horse archer mercenaries.

Post RoI - Half my empire rebels, half of them are in Greece, the other half in Anatolia. I raise my personal levies and Varangian Guard, squash the army in Anatolia, besiege the county of the main rebel, move to Greece, squash the army there... that's it, I've won. 10 duke vassals are in jail.

Your second point I agree with.

Rebels calling vassals, who were not initially members of the rebelling faction, into war is both realistic and a better design choice in game play perspectives. ;)

This, I don't.

If a vassal doesn't join a faction, they are clearly not interested in seeing what that faction is for enforced. A vassal's joining a claimant faction for instance checks how much more they would like the claimant as liege than the incumbent. Calling a fellow vassal to arms is a simple opinion check.

So I press my faction to make me king of blobland. I didn't bother to wait for anyone to join, I just formed it, sent demands, and now I can call everyone in. We win. however i have lots of traits giving negative vassal opinion. The faction would have taken that into account. Calling to arms did not. So my new vassals hate me just as much as the previous dude. On top of that they all hate me even more because of the -25 "called to arms" penalty.

I often saw the AI screw up because of this. Things like 10 HRE emperors in 15 years were not uncommon.

Civil wars could indeed be improved, but the current system is still way better than the ridiculous whacking we had before 2.1, plus it's less exploitable by outsiders. That being said, I agree that new vassals joining the rebels should be a looming threat and, perhaps, rebels should have their own crown law, that would allow them to use their armies to their full extent.

I have this problem when playing as republic: i build trade post in some italian province, and then Genoa (which is republic vassal of Kingdom of Italy) become faction leader in some faction war there, and some of my underconstruction trade post in italian province dissappear because we cant build trade post in province that belong to other merchant republic, all because Genoa become faction leader thus suddenly make its status like an independent realms :confused:

btw i build my trade post not in genoa provinces obviously, i build it in some province that belong to faction member, which become Genoa's "vassal" because faction rebel war

With huge modern hard drives, why would you delete the game?

To prove his point. This one small feature just made him so mad he hit the delete key. :rofl:

Doesn't help reposting, the responses will be the same as your 1-day old 2-page thread.

You didn't notice that I added point 2 as well as the OP being 10 times in length. In addition, the articulation of the title as well as the content of the previous thread was a bit off, and people misunderstood as if I wanted the old individual faction rebel system back, which wasn't my intention. I think I am justified opening a thread to clarify my intention and also emphasize point 2 while reinforcing my argument.

To prove his point. This one small feature just made him so mad he hit the delete key. :rofl:

Don't be such a douche bag.

I already wrote in the OP that "the new faction change has literally took the fun right out of the game and threw it into a grave for me" hence I probably won't be playing the game anymore. Just because you feel this is a small feature doesn't mean it's the same for everybody, and you should know better than to make fun of me especially when I clearly stated it in in the OP. Why do I have to repeat it?

*snip*

If a vassal doesn't join a faction, they are clearly not interested in seeing what that faction is for enforced. A vassal's joining a claimant faction for instance checks how much more they would like the claimant as liege than the incumbent. Calling a fellow vassal to arms is a simple opinion check.

*snip*

Maybe. Or, other vassals were initially not interested in risking joining a faction, but as a rebellion breaks out, they could decide to join the rebellion late to topple their liege. Not all plots and wars are carried out to the end by initial participants only. Vassals could be swayed to join in the middle, and it makes sense as it has happened a lot in history.

Last edited:
Honestly? You've given up on the game because you miss whack-a-mole being hard? The problem right now is one of not being able to raise all the levies; point one is entirely down to taste. No, cascading rebellions where everyone calls in everyone else are not better, if they were interested then they would have joined in the first place.

And I never found the whack-a-mole game exciting, just tedious. If I lost, it wasn't due to being outdone, it was just due to the ridiculous way warscore was counted. Plus empires got kind of easy to pick a part that way.

I'll put it in simple terms: if my treasury, at the start, is an order of magnitude greater than the entire rebelling force, and I smash their armies; they should not still have a chance of winning simply because I cannot match them for sheer number of armies.

Honestly? You've given up on the game because you miss whack-a-mole being hard? The problem right now is one of not being able to raise all the levies; point one is entirely down to taste. No, cascading rebellions where everyone calls in everyone else are not better, if they were interested then they would have joined in the first place.

And I never found the whack-a-mole game exciting, just tedious. If I lost, it wasn't due to being outdone, it was just due to the ridiculous way warscore was counted. Plus empires got kind of easy to pick a part that way.

I'll put it in simple terms: if my treasury, at the start, is an order of magnitude greater than the entire rebelling force, and I smash their armies; they should not still have a chance of winning simply because I cannot match them for sheer number of armies.

You seem to have misunderstood my intention. Please peruse these three quotes I made in the OP.

"While it is a positive change on its own due to the less tedium and the less micromanagement..."

"Let's make one thing clear. I actually approve the new system of a rebel leader holding a temporary title because while it might be less challenging, it reduces micromanagement and fighting doomstack is always fun. However, a rebelling faction's inability to call non faction vassals into war has caused massive boredom that I couldn't stand while playing a king or emperor. I failed to see my imbecile 0 year old king being disposed."

and

"My whole point comes down to this: allow a rebelling faction leader to call the liege's vassals into war. Let a faction leader raise 100% levies of faction members, old and new, when rebelling. Retain the new faction system of a leader holding a temporary title equal to the liege's rank while making these two changes."

I understand if you've misread few lines of my thread, but didn't I clearly state in the conclusion that I don't want the "whack-a-mole" system back? What I had fun with was its challenges, not the chasing moles parts.

I also stated in the OP, that my solution to this is to transfer vassals from a liege to a rebelling faction leader as parts of the faction leader's temporary realm, not calling those vassals into wars as allies as you seem to have misinterpreted.

Last edited:
Maybe. Or, other vassals were initially not interested in risking joining a faction, but as a rebellion breaks out, they could decide to join the rebellion late to topple their liege. Not all plots and wars are carried out to the end by initial participants only. Vassals could be swayed to join in the middle, and it makes sense as it has happened a lot in history.

Indeed, it would be nice if it happened like that in game too. However that would require "is this war in my interest" modifier to CTAs - something it would definitely be nice to see.

But the only hard part of the entire system was chasing down the moles and the way warscore ended up being calculated. Thus, calling in more vassals just made it more of 'I cannot be literally everywhere at once, and why are you even taking part?'

Also, I'll be entirely honest: every single one of your threads on this forum seems to be 'this game isn't hard enough for me, make it harder regardless of whether everyone else has a 100% success rate'. Do you possibly think that, if you can "win" in absolutely every starting situation and condition without fail, the problem isn't with the game but with you?

Indeed, it would be nice if it happened like that in game too. However that would require "is this war in my interest" modifier to CTAs - something it would definitely be nice to see.

It might be a tad bit off topic, but yes, I can concur to that if there is a consensus.

But the only hard part of the entire system was chasing down the moles and the way warscore ended up being calculated. Thus, calling in more vassals just made it more of 'I cannot be literally everywhere at once, and why are you even taking part?'

How about the fact the sheer rebel size was actually larger than initial faction members because other vassals joined in?

In my previous reply, I said, "I also stated in the OP, that my solution to this is to transfer vassals from a liege to a rebelling faction leader as parts of the faction leader's temporary realm, not calling those vassals into wars as allies as you seem to have misinterpreted. "

You won't be required to be literally everywhere at once. Calling in vassals will ONLY add to the the size of the faction leader's available levies which will still act as single entity. I enjoyed the challenge of 'larger' rebels, not the wracking a mole part.

Also, I'll be entirely honest: every single one of your threads on this forum seems to be 'this game isn't hard enough for me, make it harder regardless of whether everyone else has a 100% success rate'. Do you possibly think that, if you can "win" in absolutely every starting situation and condition without fail, the problem isn't with the game but with you?

What does that have anything to do with this topic?

I've based my argument on different experience I had between pre-ROI and post-ROI and comparison of changes in the system, rather than just going "this is a piece of cake muhahaha I'm so good I need harder challenges!" That's not fair.

In this thread, I'm not arguing the game in general is too easy for my taste. I'm arguing that it has become easier to deal with faction rebellion for everybody, and that the game should incorporate some of the features that made it challenging in the previous version without the tedium of "wracking a mole."

Why do you think I brought up this specific argument instead of repeating my old complaints of the game being too easy in general? Because that's not the point I'm discussing in this thread. I'm sorry if I came off arrogant in those old threads by saying the game is too easy; but first, I have not posted complaints about the game's easy difficulty as often as you believe. Second, I was just being honest, and that is not relevant to the topic at hand.

Last edited:
How about the fact the sheer rebel size was actually larger than initial faction members because other vassals joined in?

In my previous reply, I said, "I also stated in the OP, that my solution to this is to transfer vassals from a liege to a rebelling faction leader as parts of the faction leader's temporary realm, not calling those vassals into wars as allies as you seem to have misinterpreted. "

You won't be required to be literally everywhere at once. Calling in vassals will ONLY add to the the size of the faction leader's available levies which will still act as single entity. I enjoyed the challenge of 'larger' rebels, not the wracking a mole part.

Because it was always,always a stupid idea. They weren't interested in the faction. They didn't want a new liege, or to reduce crown authority, or to change succession laws. 'Because it's harder' is not an argument for vassals that weren't interested in the faction in the first place to join in. That forms the entirety of your argument--'because I want it to be harder'.

If a faction gets half my realm, then that's what I should be fighting. Not half plus whoever gets pulled in piecemeal partway through the rebellion for no reason.

What does that have anything to do with this topic?

I've based my argument on different experience I had between pre-ROI and post-ROI and comparison of changes in the system, rather than just going "this is a piece of cake muhahaha I'm so good I need harder challenges!" That's not fair. As I argued in the OP, post-ROI rebellions in general are easier for everybody to deal with, not just me. I didn't mention in single line about the game being too easy in general for my taste.

Except all your threads about how the game isn't challenging and how could you make it harder, here and in the mods subforum. It's a running trend.

Even letting them have all their levies won't really make it harder. Before it was only hard because of tedium. It'll just make it a matter of getting the armies before they all join up, or using mercenaries to even things.

Because it was always,always a stupid idea. They weren't interested in the faction. They didn't want a new liege, or to reduce crown authority, or to change succession laws. 'Because it's harder' is not an argument for vassals that weren't interested in the faction in the first place to join in. That forms the entirety of your argument--'because I want it to be harder'.

If a faction gets half my realm, then that's what I should be fighting. Not half plus whoever gets pulled in piecemeal partway through the rebellion for no reason.

I was only replying to your "But the only hard part of the entire system was chasing down the moles and the way warscore ended up being calculated. Thus, calling in more vassals just made it more of 'I cannot be literally everywhere at once, and why are you even taking part?'" bit. Why do you keep diverting topics?

I will answer your post anyway.

Vassals may decide to join a on-going rebellion if they were interested in the factions but weren't brave or sure enough to join in the first place, or just see the needs to weaken the liege even if they aren't interested in the cause. I could see vassals backing a member of their own for a crown, but being swayed to join other claimant rebels if they like the claimant more than the liege. It has happened a lot in history.

Except all your threads about how the game isn't challenging and how could you make it harder, here and in the mods subforum. It's a running trend.

Even letting them have all their levies won't really make it harder. Before it was only hard because of tedium. It'll just make it a matter of getting the armies before they all join up, or using mercenaries to even things.

Have I not just explained how what I posted before are totally irrelevant because I didn't base my argument on it?

This is the list of my recent threads on search page 1 besides complaints about difficulties.

Code:
what are some of the most frustrating things you experienced...

what are the characters with most personal events...

the greatest general....

unable to bear children...

al's thought algorithm question...

ruler designer still....

Is Mongol DLC a possibility?

What holdings should I build?

bottleneck for this game?

would these lines work...

spymaster scheming. Which county?

Scroll lock in the interfact..

cardinals...

antipope...

display bi-drectional relationship..

Can you stop your ridiculous accusation? Why should I waste my effort to rebut something as silly as your tirelessly repeated claim that "every single one of your threads on this forum seems to be 'this game isn't hard enough for me, make it harder regardless of whether everyone else has a 100% success rate'. which isn't even true, and even if it were, irrelevant for this discussion?

I have made some complaints about the difficulty, but even those were written on different topics, like house rules to employ, what mod is the most difficult one, and gamey plays I could avoid, civil wars, and NOT ONE THREAD of just saying the game is too easy and I'm a great player.

Seriously, stop it and stay on topic.

Last edited:
I know you're taking a lot of heat, but if it's worth anything I agree with you, OP.

I think it's because I had already rationalized factions joining unrelated rebellions because of the "when it rains, it pours" rule of history. Like my king is dealing with these dissidents wanting to curb his authority over the nobility, and all of a sudden the assholes who have always liked my half-brother better are taking up arms, too!

The in-game text mentions that they are "opportunists" and that's exactly how I interpreted them.

So from a roleplay perspective I like the old system better.

I was only replying to your "But the only hard part of the entire system was chasing down the moles and the way warscore ended up being calculated. Thus, calling in more vassals just made it more of 'I cannot be literally everywhere at once, and why are you even taking part?'" bit. Why do you keep diverting topics?

I will answer your post anyway.

Vassals may decide to join a on-going rebellion if they were interested in the factions but weren't brave or sure enough to join in the first place, or just see the needs to weaken the liege even if they aren't interested in the cause. I could see vassals backing a member of their own for a crown, but being swayed to join other claimant rebels if they like the claimant more than the liege. It has happened a lot in history.

I haven't diverted topics: the only hard part about more vassals joining in was that they became more irritating to put down, and don't really have a reason to join other than sort of liking the vassal.

And the second part--about wanting to see the liege weakened, or liking the claimant more? Uh, yeah, that's why they join lower crown authority or X for the Crown factions. It's the main thing determining whether they'll push a claimant, for one.

I have made several complaint about difficulties, but even those were about different topics, like house rules, what mod is the most difficult one, and gamey plays I could avoid, civil wars being too easy, and NOT ONE THREAD for the sake of just saying the game is too easy.

You just proved my point. You seem to be really interested in the game being hard for you.

Sounds very reasonable, OP. I was just playing a game in the opposite role (Duke of Lombardy vs HRE) and it's a nightmare to win because whether other factions join in the fight you start is completely up to chance.

What a bizarre thing to criticise someone for.