How do you join an alliance as the USA

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

niallmcfc

RIP Free Time
60 Badges
Mar 7, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Prison Architect
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
I'm trying to try out an ahistorical USA playthrough, but whenever I try to join an alliance the tooltip says that I'm already in an alliance. I've cancelled every non-trade diplomatic deal I have- NAPs, Alliances (even got rid of the Philippines and Liberia to kick them out of my alliance), even military access. But it's persists.

Is this hardcoded, a bug or what?

are you sure you are not the leader of your own little alliance? if you hover over the join alliance option and its greyed out, it will tell you why you cant join.

are you sure you are not the leader of your own little alliance? if you hover over the join alliance option and its greyed out, it will tell you why you cant join.

My diplomatic screen (the one that the game brings up when you click on your country flag) is literally blank. Could it be that I'm in an alliance with myself and that counts? If so, how do I go about leaving it?

Are you allied with Liberia or the Philippines?

Are you allied with Liberia or the Philippines?

He kicked them out of the alliance. I've never played as the U.S., but aren't they prohibited/unable to join any alliance to prevent an early entry into WW2? Also, how is your intervention slider?

Ah, my Democratic level was too high, meaning I couldn't join alliances. It didn't tell me until I'd quit and reload however. I've no idea why being democratic prevents joining an alliance, but there's probably a good reason.

Anyway, since it would have taken until ~1948 to join an alliance without Pearl Harbour, I used the 'freedom' cheat and made myself authoritarian. Thanks for the help guys.

Yeah, there's a whole thing about the America First party, led by Charles Lindbergh. They wanted to stay out of war and were a very influential political group. Probably also the fact that the US just got out of the Great Depression, and so war is not so appetizing to FDR (Mr. President). They did finance a lot of the warfare for early WW2 on the allied side though, even though they were not official allies. I could cite more sources on why the US would not join an alliance without war first, but it does seem kind of strange that that applies to all democracies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_First_Party_(1944)