• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MartinSWE

Lt. General
136 Badges
Mar 14, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
First of all it´s brilliant that England as historically starts with Agn-Elective under Harold but is it WAD that it remains when I as 'the Bastard' wins the war for the English Throne instead of changing to the laws of the Duchy of Normandy (Agn-Cog Gavelkind) ?

It´s a horrible design decision if it´s supposed to be like this.

Well, PDS could potentially make an event for switching to Primo if William wins the war for England.

First of all it´s brilliant that England as historically starts with Agn-Elective under Harold but is it WAD that it remains when I as 'the Bastard' wins the war for the English Throne instead of changing to the laws of the Duchy of Normandy (Agn-Cog Gavelkind) ?

It´s a horrible design decision if it´s supposed to be like this.
I agree that I there is something fisshy about post-conquest England, but to play devil's advocate if England's law changed to Agn-Cog Gavelkind then Robert of Normandy would be William I's heir instead of William Rufus, which would also be wrong.

Unfortunately there isn't a sensible way to give Normandy to the oldest heir, and England to the second as things stand.

I agree that I there is something fisshy about post-conquest England, but to play devil's advocate if England's law changed to Agn-Cog Gavelkind then Robert of Normandy would be William I's heir instead of William Rufus, which would also be wrong.

Indeed that is wrong but with Elective in Place there is no way your saxon vassals will let you as a foreign conqueror keep the English Throne and why William would let them have that power is beyond me.

Doesn't England start out with Primo if you make the title yourself? Medium Authority and Agnatic Primo I think.

That's the default set up if you choose the William the Conqueror start. If you form England yourself it uses whatever Succession law your duchy used plus Autonomous Vassals.

That's the default set up if you choose the William the Conqueror start. If you form England yourself it uses whatever Succession law your duchy used plus Autonomous Vassals.

You quite sure? I seem to recall having made England with Alfred of Wessex once, and not ending up with what I'd expected. Might be my memories going, but ... I can't really see I'd get it that wrong either :p

Indeed that is wrong but with Elective in Place there is no way your saxon vassals will let you as a foreign conqueror keep the English Throne and why William would let them have that power is beyond me.

Ever looked at the list of landowners before and after 1066? If you're going to be the Norman conqueror, then you have to commit to it. ;)

Ever looked at the list of landowners before and after 1066? If you're going to be the Norman conqueror, then you have to commit to it. ;)

Just how extensive was the historical William's revoking of titles from his A-S vassals?

Unfortunately there isn't a sensible way to give Normandy to the oldest heir, and England to the second as things stand.

I wonder how one could program that.

Just how extensive was the historical William's revoking of titles from his A-S vassals?

Initially not so much, of course with Harold and some other key earls dead there was quite a bit to go around to the Normans. However, key the earls of Mercia, Northumbria and Northampton remained Saxon and some married into William's family or made plans to do so. But over the next couple of decades virtually every Saxon magnate was deposed - the harrying of the North in 1069-1070 and Edgar's rebellion, the Danish invasions, etc. gave William plenty of opportunities and incentives to rid himself of the English earls. By the late 1070s it was the ethnically Norman and Breton earls who were rebelling against William.

Why did William want to be English King so badly anyway? Why not aim for France or go independent?

Probably because he did not have any claims to the French crown. Philip I may be a kid, but there are others in the court who want the crown for themselves. He was also a bastard, although by 1066, he is recognised as the Duke of Normandy (both de jure and de facto, the latter being his life's work thus far). As for independence, he no doubt thought that he cannot stand alone against Philip's court indefinitely. Even as King of England, he still had to pay homage to some extent as a duke of France. Indeed, he was back in Normandy for some time even after the Conquest.

Except for allowing you to choose which son inherits what. Which would be somewhat realistic (different succession laws would dictate how many titles you could give to each heir, etc)

Why did William want to be English King so badly anyway? Why not aim for France or go independent?

Because England was 1) there, and 2) one of the most centralised and (therefore) wealthy (in taxes to the king at any rate) places around, and 3) he claimed to have been promised the throne by the Confessor (being distantly related).

Also, if you search around for the rumors about his excommunication, you'll find references from Orthodox Christians that indicates that Harold (and England) was Orthodox, and that's why the Pope was all for the war. Near idea.

Because England was 1) there, and 2) one of the most centralised and (therefore) wealthy (in taxes to the king at any rate) places around, and 3) he claimed to have been promised the throne by the Confessor (being distantly related).

Also, if you search around for the rumors about his excommunication, you'll find references from Orthodox Christians that indicates that Harold (and England) was Orthodox, and that's why the Pope was all for the war. Near idea.

I could only find like one thing online about it, and it lacked any sources. I somehow doubt him being orthodox was the case.

Wasn't indicating he WAS, just that the idea's been presented, and that I rather liked it. As a narrative :p

Ah, ok. Some of those websites seemed very... out there...