• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Raineh Daze

General
39 Badges
Dec 7, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
Please tell me I'm not alone in having this come up for ruler after ruler? I'm honestly tired of having highish learning rulers get more learning every time. Hell, it comes up so much I can't actually remember the event chains for most of the other lifestyle stuff.

Please tell me I'm not alone in having this come up for ruler after ruler? I'm honestly tired of having highish learning rulers get more learning every time. Hell, it comes up so much I can't actually remember the event chains for most of the other lifestyle stuff.

I'd be fine with it if there was some option to just burn the damned book. Whichever path you choose, you end up with either Scholar or Mystic. That puts a spanner in the works for when I want a character to become something else, like a duelist or a poet.

Me to, most of my rulers end up scholars or nothing.
Haven't had another lifestyle events(that I recognize as such) pop up in a long time.

Though I do often use ruler designer/edited characters to start with, and they often have at least slightly higher than average learning, so it may be my fault.
Seems to run in the family.

Not that I mind either, I like the scholar trait, books are awesome!

I have noticed it. I've only been playing in India though since ROI came out, and I was wondering if Indian characters had a better chance of gettingit (they had more books in India)

So I'm curious if it's happening as regularly to European rulers?

The problem seems to come from just how drastically the MTTH plummets.

Code:
	mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 260

modifier = {
			factor = 1.2
			trait = content
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.75
			learning = 10
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.75
			learning = 9
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.75
			learning = 8
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.4
			trait = cynical
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.2
			trait = ambitious
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.4
			trait = zealous
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.1
			trait = detached_priest
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.75
			trait = scholarly_theologian
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.5
			trait = mastermind_theologian
		}
	}

modifier = {
factor = 0.2
trait = ambitious
}

Ambitious? It goes down to about four years to happen. Ambitious and zealous? One year. Oh, and is your learning the minimum for not triggering the 'raise trait' ambition? Now down to less than a year. Ah, and of course ambitious gives you Learning. So it's far, far, far too easy to reduce this.

If you meet all the reductive traits, you get a MTTH of 260*0.2*0.4*0.75^3, or about eight months.

Gardener/Impaler can only be reduced to 166 months, Duelist/Poet requires that you be single and can at most be brought down to four years by being just a Charismatic Negotiator (better? Nope!). Skilled tactician about eight years. Hunter starts with a MTTH of 360 months, and then can only be reduced by 0.75 without having two nicknames. Celibate/Hedonist can only be brought down quickly by being a... tier 2 scholarly education and gregarious, which is a ridiculously specific combination. Female falconer/poet (or is it hunter/poet?) shares the exact same modifiers as a male hunter.

All in all, the problem is that Scholar has its chances reduced by: 1) desirable traits, 2) cumulatively by minor learning boosts, whereas the others tend to be only boosted at all by very specific educations.

Last edited:
The problem seems to come from just how drastically the MTTH plummets.

Code:
	mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 260

modifier = {
			factor = 1.2
			trait = content
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.75
			learning = 10
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.75
			learning = 9
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.75
			learning = 8
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.4
			trait = cynical
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.2
			trait = ambitious
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.4
			trait = zealous
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.1
			trait = detached_priest
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.75
			trait = scholarly_theologian
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.5
			trait = mastermind_theologian
		}
	}

modifier = {
factor = 0.2
trait = ambitious
}

Ambitious? It goes down to about four years to happen. Ambitious and zealous? One year. Oh, and is your learning the minimum for not triggering the 'raise trait' ambition? Now down to less than a year. Ah, and of course ambitious gives you Learning. So it's far, far, far too easy to reduce this.

If you meet all the reductive traits, you get a MTTH of 260*0.2*0.4*0.75^3, or about eight months.

Gardener/Impaler can only be reduced to 166 months, Duelist/Poet requires that you be single and can at most be brought down to four years by being just a Charismatic Negotiator (better? Nope!). Skilled tactician about eight years. Hunter starts with a MTTH of 360 months, and then can only be reduced by 0.75 without having two nicknames. Celibate/Hedonist can only be brought down quickly by being a... tier 2 scholarly education and gregarious, which is a ridiculously specific combination. Female falconer/poet (or is it hunter/poet?) shares the exact same modifiers as a male hunter.

All in all, the problem is that Scholar has its chances reduced by: 1) desirable traits, 2) cumulatively by minor learning boosts, whereas the others tend to be only boosted at all by very specific educations.

And this is brand new? My guess is that it wasn't meant to go live, but who knows? I can't see why they would overhaul one lifestyle event chain, and leave the rest unchanged? I didn't feel like there was any problem with the event before. So I don't see why it was adjusted unless they were planning on adjust all of them (I seriously never get duelist except from ruler designer), which is possible but maybe that was either put on hold or scrapped, and this file was a work in progress that got abandoned like this. Because it can't be WAI if the MTTH is so much lower than for any of the others.

And this is brand new? My guess is that it wasn't meant to go live, but who knows? I can't see why they would overhaul one lifestyle event chain, and leave the rest unchanged? I didn't feel like there was any problem with the event before. So I don't see why it was adjusted unless they were planning on adjust all of them (I seriously never get duelist except from ruler designer), which is possible but maybe that was either put on hold or scrapped, and this file was a work in progress that got abandoned like this. Because it can't be WAI if the MTTH is so much lower than for any of the others.

I'm not even sure this is new; I'm so used to only seeing Scholar that it's actually novel to come across any of the others.

I'm not even sure this is new; I'm so used to only seeing Scholar that it's actually novel to come across any of the others.

I've gotten Gardener a few times. But not many compared to how many times I've gotten Scholar...

It seems to me to depend on your characters background but I don't know how, I've gotten the alchemy and secret societies quite a bit with some characters but others get the scholar, mystic bit more, then there's a gardening business which always seems most common with my Patricians when they aren't launching into multigenerational feuds that is.

It seems to me to depend on your characters background but I don't know how, I've gotten the alchemy and secret societies quite a bit with some characters but others get the scholar, mystic bit more, then there's a gardening business which always seems most common with my Patricians when they aren't launching into multigenerational feuds that is.

MTTH for everything except Hunter starts at ~21 years, and Duellist/Poet require being single. Additionally, only Scholar has a relatively broad set of factors for reducing the MTTH. The end result is that, if you have a reasonably learned character and one of ambitious or zealous, you're going to get handed a weird book. The Gardener/Impaler path is basically the next most likely as it's reduced a bit by martial.