• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

anomanderus

Field Marshal
55 Badges
Jan 26, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Age of Wonders
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Historically the Kievan rulers and the Khazar rulers converted from their pagan religions after having learned from various scholars of the Abrahamic religions

Therefore there should be a diplomatic option or a decision to request a missionary, which would possibly fire an event asking you which kind of missionary or would send multiple missionaries to you

Also reformed pagans should be able to send missionaries, to spread the good word

Historically the Kievan rulers and the Khazar rulers converted from their pagan religions after having learned from various scholars of the Abrahamic religions

Therefore there should be a diplomatic option or a decision to request a missionary, which would possibly fire an event asking you which kind of missionary or would send multiple missionaries to you

Also reformed pagans should be able to send missionaries, to spread the good word
Yeah, that'd be nice. It'd certainly beat having to go steal a Catholic woman and concubinify her to make Cumania Catholic.

That latter part is a whole other can of worms, though, apparently, but they should probably at least be able to send them to their "Old X" counterparts, and maybe between Slavic and Baltic pagans.

All you need to know about Russian Culture:
According to popular Russian legend, when Vladimir the Great learned of Islam's requirement to abstain from alcohol, he decided that the religion was not suitable, saying "Drinking is the joy of the Rus'. We cannot go without it."

Perhaps you should be able to only if you border a realm of that religion...to request Zoroastrians as Norse Pagans, for example, would be ridiculous. The Russians' main reason, too, for going Orthodox was because of relations with their neighbors/close neighbors? Byzantium.
Maybe limits of distance somehow, since they added relations distances.

Just anyone in diplomatic range should be fine. I mean, if the Norse have Persia in their diplomatic range, I think that Norse converting to Zoroastrian will be among the less unrealistic things going on.

Really?
Maybe it could be by culture even.
I don't think that's realistic in any scenario, to be honest.

Perhaps you should be able to only if you border a realm of that religion...to request Zoroastrians as Norse Pagans, for example, would be ridiculous. The Russians' main reason, too, for going Orthodox was because of relations with their neighbors/close neighbors? Byzantium.
Maybe limits of distance somehow, since they added relations distances.

My imagined response of a Norseman to a Zoroastrian missionary:
"Wait, you're saying I'm supposed to marry my sister. I'm not so sure how I..."
"You get to keep your concubines."
"Sold!"

But on a serious note, I agree, and I also happen to think the cultural restrictions for pagan conversion should be done away with based on:
1) If the one sending the missionary borders the pagan realm
2) If a province bordering or within the pagan realm is of the religion being preached

Right now for example Russians are less likely to imprison your missionary if you are orthodox. This is meant to make Russia become Orthodox more often than convert to another religion. Similar rules apply to all pagans and determine which religions are preferred for each pagan group. Such methods are designed to encourage but not force the game to follow a historical path. The problem however is that sucha method, while among for historical authenticity, denies the factors which led those religions to be accepted by those peoples. For example Scandinavia became Catholic because of the close proximity and influence of Catholics in Scandinavia. Russia became Orthodox because it was a great regional power, which had had significant influence on the Slavic world, in fact the Cyrillic alphabet was developed by Byzantine missionaries.

So my point is that if the AI is going to give preferential treatment to a religion, determine that religion dynamically. This should be what emergent history is all about. If Zoroastrianism had had a resurgence in the 10th century, and a Zoroastrian ruler of Persia had spread his influence and religion as far as Russia (Which of course is the sort of thing people often want to do in CK2), there should be no reason why Russian would disdain Zoroastrians but love orthodox (and only orthodox) Christians. If Zoroastrianism was the religion of a huge empire on the footstep of Russia, well, they should feel some reason or incentive to convert to Zoroastrianism.

I have a problem with structuring mechanics to work in a historically ACCURATE way, while shunning historic AUTHENTICITY. The point of a game like this is alternate, but authentic history. If orthodoxy fails, it shouldn't take longer to finag get Russians to convert simply because it's not their "real religion."

There are reasons why I beleive Russia was more likely to convert to Orthodox than to another religion. But it's a mistake to model the likelihood itself when you should attempt to model the reasons for that likelihood, so that what follows is likely, given the circumstances during that game. These sort of hard barriers to artificially keep history on particular track really bother me, since that's not why I buy games like this.