• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good luck against Armada, mister Big Navy :p
Let's just say I'll be doing more island hopping than fleet destroying.
Or in other words, I'm staying as far as I can from the US :D

Hmm the Aussie L.Arm is a giant among the Nationalists with its 2-2 rating against the 1-1 Spanish units.
I'm surprised how powerful that unit is. I just built it from the leftover IC from custom game mode, thinking it might be a nice support. But wow, it's taken river provinces by itself, sometimes while being bombed. Sadly, I can't really show much of that - I could make a whole AAR out of that one unit if I posted every single battle :p
I'm convinced that without it, the nationalists would have probably lost.

LSC0AwM.png

Apparently, we have pretty high quality tanks. That's what the naval generals keep saying. We were doing alright in Madrid. God knows why we were in Madrid anyway.

dH7LCP7.png

Then with a bit of nationalist help, we managed to take the city.

P3tKhKo.png

But then came news that actually interested me. We got a new ship. We were sent pictures of it through some convoys. It looked pretty powerful, I have to admit. I might try to see if I can work on there. Probably more fun than on transport ships, that's for sure.

qMGS0Ah.png

Oh, and alongside that, we had finished training infantry.

d7ZEpRQ.png

Why on Earth do we need infantry? What are we doing - planning to invade Japan or something? But I'm getting the strangest feeling we're going to be caught up in some big war sooner or later. Hitler reoccupied some industrial area and the Allies were not all too happy about it. Well, at least Germany's going well. Maybe they'll invade France, and that will be interesting. Oh, and I think the guys over here were getting bored of my questioning, because they told me I could go to expeditionary HQ tomorrow.

Alright, I'm somewhere in the middle of Spain. Our tanks were given orders to take a vital airbase. I know that Spain doesn't have too many of these, so I can sort of understand the necessity of this.

ja5ucZq.png

The generals were raging all last night. I could barely get to sleep. The nationalists were supposed to protect the lines or something. They didn't sound too happy.

8oDYbbG.png

The nationalists took a few days to do anything, but eventually the tanks were given a new location to go to. The temporarily relocated capital of the republicans, I believe. These nationalists are quite stupid; it would have been much easier to just invade by sea instead of spending months trying to get to this southern area by land. We couldn't do that as our supply lines would be too stretched, but surely they could? We had transport ships here, and they've been waiting for something to do!

RABy7PR.png

Wow. Finally the republicans surrendered.

zSUaBH8.png

I'm surprised to hear it, but many of their politicians admitted our light armour was the most detrimental unit in the whole war.

But at least I can finally go home.

u834YP4.png

I suppose I've learned one thing: I think the generals are trusting me a bit more. Just a few hours ago, they openly mentioned our next mission in front of me. I'm not sure I want to be a part of it.

Last edited:
nice update! are you planning to do all the research or simply buy the licenses?

I'm liking this AAR, those cork hats will definatly help the Axis forces!

You should send your German allies your Armour Training books :) "Beware L.Arm"
:D
Meanwhile, the heavy armour starts pouring out of the factories... :p

nice update! are you planning to do all the research or simply buy the licenses?
Both. We won't have enough money to keep buying licenses. Until our ships have been researched to a level I'm happy with, I'm just going to buy licenses though. I think I'm only going to license planes and never research them, that's too much research for tiny Australia to manage otherwise.

I'm liking this AAR, those cork hats will definatly help the Axis forces!
I'm sure we'll be the terror of the IS-2s and T-34s :D

0BcAG8c.png

Well, I'm back in Australia. For a few days, while we refuel and reorganise. We're getting ready to load our men on board again. This time, we have some infantry.

UUrV2m1.png

I was ordered to move to the south of New Zealand, where we would be attack in great power, in a giant surprise attack. Why are we invading New Zealand? I thought they were our allies!

zVQ2MZd.png

Also, we got a nice new interceptor, and we purchased a production license from Japan to produce 'close air support'. Tactical bombers are too expensive to produce. Which I have to wonder - if we don't have industry to produce tactical bombers, why are we being so aggressive anyway? Surely the USA is eventually going to snap out of their isolation and stop us? Who can we rely on then - our only allies are Spain and Germany and they barely have a navy to speak of.

oBLazBB.png

We won the battle pretty quickly.

WpF7PQe.png

The New Zealand army decided to evacuate the whole southern island, practically giving us Christchurch.

eT6XD5Z.png

We secured more ports quickly.

cDvqmAi.png

The New Zealand army rushed to take this port back from us. While their divisions were busy, we flanked them and took them by surprise. A desperate counter-attack by the New Zealanders was launched, when they realised what had happened, but that ended in hours.

tz8Un9u.png

My fleet then sent up an infantry division to take yet more territory from our new enemy. They gave up pretty quickly after this.

J7NPlN8.png

When I arrived back in Australia, I talked to some of the people at expeditionary HQ. They were planning a huge expansion of the navy.

bsQXFpw.png

And we also got a shiny new ship.

aK2EoEM.png

Alright. I've just been told we're going to be doing some actual naval stuff, not just transporting infantry. Oh, and great news! I'll be working on a proper fighting ship. Finally! Some of the people were wondering who we could possibly be standing up against, navally. But through my talks with HQ, I knew already. Japan was going to invade China and they had seen the might of our light armour division. With the promise that they would give us one of the captured cities, Australia had eagerly agreed to help them out. It would be a great way to test out our new interceptor and our expanding navy too.

I still have no idea what's going on - why are we allied with Germany, helping nationalist spain, invading New Zealand and now helping Japan? I must be missing something here. HQ is refusing to tell me and none of my friends know what's going on.

It's like a giant plot to overthrow England - Germany, nationalist Spain and Japan are all their theoretical enemies and New Zealand was an ally. Huh.

Last edited:
So how much does the Kiwies help your economy?

Oh, I probably should be doing one of those graphs that I used to do. It would be a nice addition. I can't do it now as I don't have saves files pre-invasion :(
Well, I'll have to do it in future :(

I believe it was 3 more IC in total (+1 base IC) with .2 manpower and I have no idea what the leadership gain was.

Quick question: would you guys prefer/like me to have this as more of a diary entry ('dear diary, today i' sort of thing)? I could have each post as a different diary entry, and it might be a bit neater and collected than the current system which has tenses mixed up all over the place. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I like the current style to be honest, the dear diary thing isn't necessary for me.

Interesting work.

Just as a sidenote though...you might get better results by replacing one of those AC with a CAV or MOT, or one of the LARM for that matter. For one, you would get better defensiveness and soft attack, but also you would get a combined arms bonus (I assume you are playing TFH?).

I like the current style to be honest, the dear diary thing isn't necessary for me.
Alright, thanks for the feedback :)
I shall keep it how it is.

Interesting work.

Just as a sidenote though...you might get better results by replacing one of those AC with a CAV or MOT, or one of the LARM for that matter. For one, you would get better defensiveness and soft attack, but also you would get a combined arms bonus (I assume you are playing TFH?).
Wouldn't I get higher combined arms with an AC (it's support, whereas CAV and MOT are both infantry) though? Although CAV and MOT are definitely preferable, I need to greatly expand Australia's navy at the moment, sadly at the expense of my land forces. ACs are cheap and give a little motorised production bonus anyway, which definitely will be useful when I start building motorised again sometime in the future. And cavalry doesn't upgrade well :(
When I finish a few of my expensive ships, I'll grab some MOT and LARM. At the moment I just don't have the industry to support that.

p7pbcVz.png

The Japanese certainly were not going to be wasting time. Straight after securing a promise that we would help them, they declared war on the Chinese.

J7mA1T6.png

To my knowledge, this then lead to Germany, under pressure by our government and Japan's, allowing them to join in an alliance. That's what I gathered from the official speeches. I'm not that surprised that the Allies were looking angrily at us. They knew we were up to something.

IfWYDo1.png

It was a bit uninspiring to say the least, when I saw what we were up against. Yunnan, seeing that Australia had joined Japan in declaring war, promised to help China. This was going to be big. Strangely enough, we aren't war with Shanxi. I don't know why.

ai23Zcc.png

The transport flotilla arrived with light armour quickly, to the relief of the Japanese who already were encountering powerful resistance to their invasion.

o1Z9JFz.png

I can hear a voice on my ship's radio. Australia has just entered 'a new age of power and alliances'. Whatever that means. All I know is that more ships are going to be coming out of our factories.

rThF48J.png

Japan requested our navy to help them destroy the Chinese navy. As I was relocated to our beautiful HMAS Australia (which was soon to be renamed AS Australia. Apparently 'Her Majesty's Australian Ship' was no longer a prefix our navy would be using), I immediately got to work doing things.

lfZNvR5.png

I think these were just tests to see how efficiently we could cooperate with the Japanese navy. None of us spoke Japanese and few of them spoke English, so it didn't go hugely well. We gave the Chinese a huge scare when a little destroyer came across a rather large fleet. Our other fleet began anti-convoy duties to see how efficient they were. This is all a test of our navy's strength, I bet.

wW6JXjM.png

I can hear the radio, some men are cheering and others booing. The results for the election have just come in. I'm apolitical so I didn't really care who won or not.

9tttU4z.png

Meanwhile, our light armour division came across a Chinese strongpoint. The Japanese had been trying to dislodge the forces for days, and finally we came to their help.

9aW94ZK.png

There were 350 casualties on our side in that battle, but most of those were Japanese. We did inflict most of the Chinese casualties, however; a fact that expeditionary HQ was proud of.

G9JaSfv.png

Our first real naval encounter happened a few hours ago. Some of their ships escaped to their docks, unfortunately. But we managed to sink one vessel. Some scouting boats have been sent to see if there are any survivors.

ljUjmkr.png

And yeah. Today the orders came in to actually change the names of the ships. They're naming our battlecruiser (which we're going to get soon!) AS Australia, and renamed HMAS Australia to AS Superior. No idea why. Sounds cool, I guess. The fleet's changing its name tomorrow to something completely different.

Okay, I seriously think Britain has just given up on us. So we can't use the words 'Her Majesty's' in our ship names anymore it seems, our airforce is no longer 'Royal', and we're allied with Japan and Germany? I have to ask somebody in power about this soon.

47Kl9f7.png

Yep. I asked somebody about it and they said England pretty much hates us. They're calling us aggressive, stupid and evil. And they feel very worried about their Pacific territorial holdings being taken by us, it seems.

MRi2VJV.png

At least the Chinese navy is falling apart.

K7jzpCX.png

Those ancient ships really don't threaten anybody.

And so Australia joins Japan in a new dawn in the Far East.
I wonder what the Americans will think of this, hehehe.

Alright, thanks for the feedback :)
I shall keep it how it is.

Wouldn't I get higher combined arms with an AC (it's support, whereas CAV and MOT are both infantry) though? Although CAV and MOT are definitely preferable, I need to greatly expand Australia's navy at the moment, sadly at the expense of my land forces. ACs are cheap and give a little motorised production bonus anyway, which definitely will be useful when I start building motorised again sometime in the future. And cavalry doesn't upgrade well :(
When I finish a few of my expensive ships, I'll grab some MOT and LARM. At the moment I just don't have the industry to support that.

Problem is, without an infantry component such as MOT or CAV, you don't get any CA bonus. However, if you put one in there, and then setup your OOB so your HQs have Battlemasters, you'll get a very nice CA bonus.

But, for australia, its not mega important to max the CA. Your BMs are only level 1 or 2. It stacks but not incredibly so.

Keep in mind though, that CAV and MOT both have better defensiveness and terraing penalties than AC.