• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TehDarkMiner

Supreme Commander
29 Badges
Dec 9, 2012
  • Dungeonland
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Magicka 2
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
Winner of a Weekly AAR Showcase!

5dg8oPq.png

The Idea
An Axis Australia. I'll begin with New Zealand and a few other neutral countries, moving on to joining in some other wars like the Spanish Civil War. When WWII starts, I will take all Allied holdings in the Pacific, helping Japan (maybe) and Germany fight Russia a little. Should be a fun ride.

The Aim
The creation of an empire of Australia that should span the whole Pacific Ocean.
Somewhat helping with the destruction of the USSR (who will be buffed, Germany always defeats them in my games), if possible.

Modifications Made for the AAR
- Australia will join the axis in 1936.
- The Spanish Civil War will put the nationalists on the side of the axis, and if it continues to WWII, the republicans will join the allies.
- Japan will conquer all of China, not just the northern half.

Spain and Russia are not part of the Pacific of course. This merely gives the AAR a bit more flavour - there will be some, if little, focus on the European front. I will not focus on Spain or Russia. It's called A Shadow over the Pacific for a reason.

Table of Contents
-I'll fix this soon

[post=17268726]Part 1[/post]
[post=17272584]Part 2[/post]
[post=17276324]Part 3[/post]
[post=17280693]Part 4[/post]
[post=17287465]Part 5[/post]
[post=17292564]Part 6[/post]
[post=17297009]Part 7[/post]
[post=17306010]Part 8[/post]
[post=17315456]Part 9[/post]
[post=17326041]Part 10[/post]
[post=17339970]Part 11[/post]
[post=17361591]Part 12[/post]
[post=17526554]Part 13[/post]
[post=17594891]Part 14[/post]
[post=17651331]Part 15[/post]
[post=17740236]Part 16[/post]
[post=17779093]Part 17[/post]
[post=17789720]Part 18[/post]
[post=17838005]Part 19[/post]
[post=17847233]Part 20[/post]
[post=17851082]Part 21[/post]
[post=17875907]Part 22[/post]
[post=17906735]Part 23[/post]
[post=17935770]Part 24[/post]
[post=18549069]Part 25[/post]

Last edited:
I'm in, I want to see what can the Aussies do against endless human waves :p

I'm in, I want to see what can the Aussies do against endless human waves :p
great :D

we'll do something, I'm sure. I have to wonder how the German AI's going to react to huge numbers of Soviet troops. Usually the Russians win when I play, and the Germans barely make it to Leningrad.

Last edited:
I remember the first version of this and really enjoy the 4-faction war, so naturally I'm in!

If your goal is the destruction of the US fleet, you may want to make a fleet that can assist Japan, and forget land power.

I'm not sure you can do all the stuff your planning as Australia; have played them many times.

Somebody's looking for trouble! :D

Just trying to be helpful :)

But, this is a fun idea actually, I think I'm going to go home and do this later. Not an AAR though.

My post was meant in response to the general AAR, that's why I didn't quote you! :D

Oh wow, such great response guys, thanks :D
if only I knew how to quote with names |:

I remember the first version of this and really enjoy the 4-faction war, so naturally I'm in!
:D
Oh, did you see the first version? It was awful lol. This one will hopefully be much better.

Following! This looks really good!
Thanks! I'll try my best :)

If your goal is the destruction of the US fleet, you may want to make a fleet that can assist Japan, and forget land power.

I'm not sure you can do all the stuff your planning as Australia; have played them many times.
I'm not doing large-scale things. I mean, just a motorised unit every now and then. I doubt I'll have more than a corps of land units in total, as indeed I want a nice navy above everything else. The whole Russia thing is because Germany usually always wins, and so I can do a little bit over there. Just adds a bit more variety. As I said, I definitely won't be focusing on Russia - I've already done that in my other AAR :p
I think I can do it, I've played Australia quite a few times before (though usually Allied). Plus I'll probably be grabbing a bit of land-lease from Japan when I can - they never do anything useful with their IC so I might as well actually do something good with it.

TL;DR: I will only have a few armoured units to add variety. Russia normally uses to Germany in my games, so that's why I buffed them. Nothing big will happen in Russia.

Non-allied Australia is always fun to play, not many aussie AARs out there either, so looking forward to it ^^

Oh also, I am going to start Germany and Australia with no neutrality also. Germany's not going to do anything differently anyway, and as I'm an Axis country, it sort of is an excuse to give myself none. If you don't want this, I'll change it back, but it shouldn't significantly change the game. I'll just have 10 more IC to build a strong navy with for a few extra years.

Last edited:
7Js5Fmf.png

It's the afternoon of the first day of 1936, and I am enjoying myself. The army had been strangely forcing us to do training exercises for the last few weeks, so I didn't really have much time to party last night. Yeah, even on New Years they are forcing us to train. Either the government is expecting some big invasion or something. I'm not sure. I did hear that those damned Nazis are now our allies, something that must have happened in the last few days. It's a bit of a confused mess right now, honestly.

DFDoB28.png

Then of course, who could forget that speech where our prime minister said we would now be working to build up a strong power? Surely we'd only need garrisons to defend ourselves with - and we could easily have made garrisons with our old economic laws too.

c8RD30I.png

I suppose it was good for me - as a sailor - that we would finally be getting more modern ships. Our destroyers were basically scrap iron. They were so old that even my generals were mocking them, calling them the 'scrap iron flotilla'. HMAS Australia was the best ship we had, and even that wouldn't stand up to much.

LmOqAx1.png

A few weeks later, in February, came a surprise to many of us. There was some civil war on Spain. That wasn't the surprise of course - there were many little wars happening and there was even talk of a major war between China and Japan. The surprise was, that Australia was joining the Nationalists in this civil war. As a sailor, my job was to transport men to Spain to help.

Our government called it a chance to test out our airforce and our new light armour. But strangely enough, Germany also promised to give Spain some economic support. This seemed like a giant, thought-out plan, as if that Hitler chap was planning world domination or something. He'd already visited Australia twice, promising us some planes that would join us next year.

nrKBdJ3.png

Still, it was a fair travel to Perth, and I have to say, there's no way those tanks could have reached there faster than we did. Unless our government somehow knew this would happen and was preparing in advance? Who knows. I'm not a conspiracy believer normally, but why else would we have tanks in Perth?

UJ0au0N.png

Apparently we were soon beginning to bomb Republican towns with our bombers. But once again, there was some weirdness! The planes individually kept their original name - Royal Australian Air Force Group - this was their original name and nothing's going to change that; but our airforce was no longer called the Royal Australian Air Force. It was just the AAF now. Are we no longer part of the commonwealth?

itFvMKj.png

I finally reached Spain. There were some hushed meetings between generals - I made out some phrases like 'incomplete supply lines, unprepared for Australians' and in a few hours we were ordered to move to a different port in the north of Spain.

ZZfxqD0.png

The next day, and here I am sitting, listening to some generals talking again. Apparently our government declared war on the Republicans last night, and now our light armour would help the 'rightful and true' nationalists.

eCcltrK.png

As a sailor I didn't see too much of this. I do know that they have done some flanking thing, whatever that means. I know nothing of land battles.

6OBKLJC.png

Apparently, by themselves, they pushed back a highly-dug in Republican division and freed the way for an attack on the Republican capital. I knew this was important because it would give us an airbase to send our bomber fleet to keep fighting from- they were out of range from the front line at this point. It started badly, from what I heard.

z4BG7AJ.png

But with minimal nationalist intervention the division defeated them.

nvtBGBw.png

But that was several hours ago. HQ's moved out of here, and to a better position to command from what I hear, so I no longer have instant access to information. Perhaps I can ask the fleet commanders what's going on in Spain instead. What on earth is Australia doing in Spain and why are we allied with Germany? I thought England was our ally, and they're backing the Republicans.

do you guys like this style? I'm trying to go for a a journal/diary entry style.

Well this is certainly an interesting start!
And yea, I like this light narrative style as well, though 1 update is too little to judge of course. Good luck!

Well this is certainly an interesting start!
And yea, I like this light narrative style as well, though 1 update is too little to judge of course. Good luck!

Well the next few updates are probably going to be mainly land-based, the countries I'll be fighting probably don't have big navies :p
Don't expect anything too interesting just yet :)

Well the next few updates are probably going to be mainly land-based, the countries I'll be fighting probably don't have big navies :p
Don't expect anything too interesting just yet :)

Good luck against Armada, mister Big Navy :p