• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't understand something. Why are the Germans protecting the provinces with no beaches in France?
Because of the Allied paratroopers

That was a stupid objective with no sense at all. The Japanese should have concentrated their force in China and Pacific.
Sorry, but I can't disagree more. Japan enjoyed almost total strategic surprise and almost overan India.
It is only my opinion, but I think that the Axis had at some point a 3 month long window to reach a stalemate.

Well now for the Japan is the option of liberating a puppet in India and feeding of its industry. (I admit - I rarely play Japan, so do not know the required provinces to liberate something there)
I am positive it would not have happened, unless Germany would have knocked Persia out as well. The CW troops in India were slowly falling back to Karachi, a bottleneck with the last VP, on mountainous terrain and behind a river.

Below is a link to Colonel Barrick's official AAR.
This contains information about how the game was set up (30 clients machines!), how the students were organized, and provides a overall perspective of how the game performed as a platform for aiding in the teaching of strategy and history.

Barrick's PDF

Have you guys considered approaching the other service academies and offering something similar?

That was génius. MORE!

No, only for the control group (5 PCs I believe, check Colonel Barrick's PDF).

No, the fog of war was ONLY lifted on one of the clients, the one used by the other course instructor, Dr. Lacey. He sat with the control cell as the journalist (and referee, with Col. Barrick) for the game. Many of my slides come from his screenshots of the game.

Oh, please do more! I liked this a lot.

An awesome read. Just finished up Col. Barrick's AAR, and found this bit very interesting:

Interestingly, the Soviet team became emotionally
invested in the Allies opening a Second Front. There was great consternation by the Soviet
players at the delay in an Allied landing in Italy or France. They were desperate to draw
German forces away from the Eastern Front. The Soviet players even grew suspicious of
US/UK intentions, setting the seeds for a potential Cold War.

A good simulation can re-enact history even when it is being altered, and even when people are aware of what it would have been.

I don't think I own Darkest Hour; where does one purchase it?

Para 6h needs to be used in the grognardest publicity campaign ever....

If you want to buy it t's eight quid on Steam.

A cliffhanger indeed. However, in the long run Japan's position in India will be compromised(only for how long really), Germany's 3 front war is going to cost the war. Perhaps Axis can hold out until 47/48, or their lines might collapse.

Here is one of the maps used before and during the exercise, showing the initial planning of the landing in Italy.

It was really interesting.
In my opinion this could be integrated with politics students (1933/36/39 scenario). Diplomatic front was left out completely. For example, a proactive German diplomacy or intelligence would have mustered more allies to its cause. Or the release of the certain puppet regimes may have bolstered the German war effort? They had loads of territories to choose from.
Persuading Nationalist Spain to join Axis would have been a great headache for the Allies - the convoy route doubles, more resources must be spent for maintaining the Empire.
The discussion between Communist and the Allies on the future of the Europe, borders.
Anyways, really interesting.