Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 5: Religion

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Besuchov

Studio Manager, PDS
Paradox Staff
64 Badges
Mar 6, 2001
  • Sengoku
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Impire
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Diplomacy
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 5: Religion

The theme for this weeks dev diary will deal with the wholly uncontroversial topic of religions, and in particular which one is right and which one is wrong.

Just kidding :) The dev diary will however cover what we are adding in the area of religions in Wealth of Nations. Note that all of these changes are part of the Wealth of Nations paid expansion; they will not be in the large free update that traditionally comes with our expansions.

Reformed
First up is the Reformed Religion, the Calvinist faith that was particularly embraced by the Dutch in this time frame. We figured that doing something for the Dutch would be an appropriate thing for our trade themed expansion. It is a distinct religion in EU4 and has an increasing chance of spawning in a European province that has been Protestant for a long time. It also has an increased chance of appearing in nations that have selected more innovative ideas.

For Wealth of Nations Reformed nations can direct the industriousness of their people via a new concept called Fervor. The player will get a base value of 2 Fervor points per month if the nation is at peace and 1 per month if it is at war. Like most things in EU, this rate is also infuenced by things like prestige and stability. If its not used it’s stored. So how do you use it? Reformed nations have 3 place to focus their Fervor: Trade (Global Trade Power and Trade Steering bonus), War (Morale of Armies and Morale of Navies) and Stability (National Revolt Risk and Diplomatic Reputation). The player can activate one or more of these but each will cost 5 Fervor each month, which means that your nations needs to be fairly stable and at peace the be able to run one permanently - but you can also save up so run several at once for a power boost in times of crisis or expansion. We have also changed one of the Reformed religions regular modifiers from +10% trade efficiency to +2 tolerance for heretics, instead.

Hindus
Since we are adding East India Companies to Asia and Africa, we wanted to see if we could add something more to make it more interesting to play in India as a local and not just as a European conqueror. For one thing, we have added about 50 new events for Hindu rulers that deal with the Hindu religion (and we’ve added some nice new art for ambience). We have also added a personal deity system.

If you have the WoN expansion, Hinduism will lose its regular modifiers. Instead you get to pick a deity to follow. You can choose from Shiva, Ganesha, Surya, Ganga, Shakti and Vishnu. Each god has its own bonuses (and also specific interesting events as mentioned earlier). The ruler picks a deity for life, but when the ruler dies you get to pick a new one (though there is also a rare event that lets you change while the monarch lives). This is going to add an interesting new dimension as you build your Hindu empire in an interesting part of the world that we might revisit in the future in another expansion or add-on.

Papacy
And finally, as a little extra to those who buy Wealth of Nations, you will now be able to automate cardinal influence, by using a checkbox next to each cardinal. With that checked the game will automatically assign enough influence to selected cardinals to keep your guy ahead in the competition. This is mostly to avoid the busy work of fighting to add +5 here and there to keep France out of the Throne of Peter.

That’s it for this week. Next week, we will talk a bit about the diplomatic additions that come with Wealth of Nations.

eu4_37.jpg

Last edited:
First! Finally, muhaha :D Now, let's read the dev diary.

Oh, and one question - will we see any changes to the EU4 save converter with upcoming patch?

Also splendind idea about Hindu religions! I'm glad to see eastern part of the map being flashed out :) Let's hope we'll see more focus on Far East in the future!

Last edited:
First! Finally, muhaha :D Now, let's read the dev diary.

Oh, and one question - will we see any changes to the EU4 save converter with ucpoming patch?

Dammit man!

Also, the new hindu mechanics look great- can other religions be modded to add similar things in?

Ganesha and Ganga looks quite powerful. Ganesha in general and Ganga if you are running a lot of interest. 0.5% interest per year is quite significant. Though with the interest gone I do suppose that deity is less valuable for the rest of the rule.

Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 4: Religion

Papacy
And finally, as a little extra to those who buy Wealth of Nations, you will now be able to automate cardinal influence, by using a checkbox next to each cardinal. With that checked the game will automatically assign enough influence to selected cardinals to keep your guy ahead in the competition. This is mostly to avoid the busy work of fighting to add +5 here and there to keep France out of the Throne of Peter.

View attachment 106035

Finally!!! Hallelujah brothers and sisters in faith!!! We waited, waited and waited but we received the blessings of our good Lord :)
Great changes altogether!

Those are kind of amazing, especially with how easy it is to just diplo-vassalise your way up the continent as Vijayanagara Ganesha will be amazing and then you switch to Shiva once its only Muslims left and then maybe back to Ganesha when you enemies are small enough to vassalise militarily and then to Ganga when you need to build a ton of barracks and manufactories .

Vijayanagara would conquest might be achievable now.

Aww, nothing for stuff like Shinto, Buddhist or Confucian? Ah well, can't wait for WoN.

The precedent is here, let`s just hope rest of religions will get some love in future expansions/patches. Fingers crossed!

Yea, hopefully the next expansion is entirely focused on Asia...More flavor for the Asia countries and Chinese/Nomad tech groups would be awesome.

Aww, nothing for stuff like Shinto, Buddhist or Confucian? Ah well, can't wait for WoN.
It's a step in the right direction and I'm sure more will follow - more flavor for Asia is much needed.

I didn't buy CoP because I don't really care about playing in Murica but I'm 100% sure that I'll be WoN the moment it shows up on Steam.

Uh... yes, it's amazing stuff, but I'm baffled at the fact that these are part of the expansion and not the patch. I mean, I would understand the Hindu change, sure, but automated cardinal influence? Really? Are you telling me that it's really so tied up to the WoN expansion that it just doesn't make sense to make it free for everyone??

Hmm bit of a small Dev Diary.

I have a question about Asia if you don't mind: Asia often gets totally annexed in MP games (well discussed here) , either by a massive "Russia" and/or invading western/middle eastern colonial empires. My question, is that WAD? Should nations like Quin/Ming/Japan be defeated so easily - and so early in the game, as often happens. Or is it simply due to the AI unable to prepare for player interaction.

Will the new expansion buff Asia, or nerf parts of the western world?

Hold on, automated papacy points will be an expo-only feature?

I'm sorry but that's crud. That's a feature that should be in the free update - it's a QoL fix that should have been patched in long ago.

Papacy
I think that this one would fit more as a part of the free patch, not paid expansion. Apart from that, it's all great.