• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

simmr001

Pansexual Aspie.
107 Badges
Apr 17, 2013
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hello their

with my recent purchase of HOI3, and my downloading of the Historical Plausibility Project, I thought I'd do an AAR on the Empire of Japan and see where i can go with the one series of PI I have not played.

the style of this AAR will be of a novice who has seen very little of this series trying to adjust to the differing styles compared to CKII and EUIV and hopefully be prepared for the release of HOI4 when it is released

so without further ado lets begin by saying I probably WON'T be going for historical accuracy by design. with the new plausibility factors I hope to find other ways for the empire of Japan to thrive.

BANZAI!

Chapter 1: The First Week 1st January 1936 to 8th January

ok, considering I know nothing about this game I took the first week to prepare and try to wrap my head around the mechanics. I mean I'm not just playing HPP for the first time here. =>

Ho_I3_2.png

The First action I took was to Align to the Comintern. (first time I've heard of it to be honest) Why? partly because I hope to switch from the American oil which will be lost in the highly likely embargo, but also because I'm curious as to where the alignment with The Communist International will take me, plus if im going to go to war with the number 2 and 3 navy in the world, I'd rather not also be at war with the number 1 ARMY too.
I also took the Formation of Mengkukuo (which spawned Mengjiang?) as having to deal with rebels, or partisans as I think they are called in this game, are far from my mind in this game.
The other events shown are what happened as a result, going from a major power to an intermediate one is a little saddening but hopefully I can get it back, also the other two flags showed up automatically, but i will change those later.
Ho_I3_3.png

I've also rearranged the production queue to allow the most complete ships a primary focus, mostly to get out the way. also what's not pictured is the 3 series 9 parallel troop recruitment which will take place after the ships are built. apart as i wont be building anything ships thanks to a little thing called the Washington Naval Treaty. (doesn't it get ratified in 1936?)

Ho_I3_5.png

and to finish off, my research screen. I'm going to do more focus on the IJA over the IJN as the size of me compared to china one thing is clear. I need more bullets
and I need to be more technological to counter the huge number of Chinese I will fight.

im sorry if this post seems lacking but I only carried on until 8th January to make sure it wouldn't CTD (it does if i take a steam screen-shot -_-) and i will try to make this interesting as i go.

Last edited:
This damned Mengjiang...

What the hell? Why is your technology screen flipped over? :D

Anyway, keep going. I think HPP has a few surprises for you in its sleeve.

P.S. I use "Print Screen" button, open my IrfanView, then Ctrl+V and save. That works for me.

I had the issue with steam screenshots too, now I play without steam and use ingame screens (F11) and everything works fine.

@ikarses i have no idea why that happened, maybe its because my line of thinking is backward compared to others :D Thanks for the reply and encouragement
@SKOTy i might try that see if it works (it beats saving before every crash)

i am still doing this its just some university coursework was due so i had to sort that out first

i am currently playing now and will hopefully go to the next big event. (lets hope it isnt on the 9th january then ;P )

been a long time since i have had to stand on my head. Ohh all the blood rushing to my head I feel dizy.

ive tried to fix that multiple times to no avail so ill create a new one when i can

i am as i speak writing up a new chapter. its a little difficult due to not knowing how much i should write and how detailed i should go. im going with the basic sentences for now but plan to open up when the wars start (also can i put isokoru yanamoto as head of state?)

Chapter 2: The 2-2-6 incident 8th January to 6th March

well that session went interesting

Ho_I3_8.png

I mean it started normally enough. I got a trade agreement with denmark. logic behind this: i wanted the money, no idea if I got fleeced or not but hey, its money.

Ho_I3_9.png

THIS is where it started. first the -what I assume to be- standard re-occupation of the Rhineland (insert the Barney "it begins" meme here)
I also got told that the IJN had more power over the IJA. I assume to mean that navy gets extra bonuses. considering the future against the big three, that's a good thing to me.
the storage problems I assume are standard for making sure I don't go nuts with resources

and here is the two important ones: doctrines. for infantry I went for infiltration. I don't have the guns for fire-power or the troops for shock, so I went for infiltration. as for the operational... I'm not big enough to do human wave, blitzkrieg with horses sounds ludicrous (but is now stuck in my head) and superior fire-power: see human wave.

Ho_I3_11.png

also for tank doctrine I chose the one that relies on mechanized troops the least AKA infantry support. plus I've never heard of any Japanese tanks.

then of course, this happened

Ho_I3_13.png

This had me in shock so much I looked it up, and then I got conflicted. on the one hand, this event I could use to go historical and go Nazi, gain rebel support and go for slight alternate history or say screw it and go for the Constitutional Monarchy. I took a long time to decide and did what I thought was right.

I went like my name

Ho_I3_14.png

the English samurai went for an English solution

Get fraps, its free, doesn't put a lot of strain on the PC and keeps you informed of your frame rate. The best thing about it, you can take as many screen shots as you want, it saves them in a folder and you don't have to worry about it until after you are done playing and can start writing. As for update length, I've written a few AAR's in my lifetime and I find it that it depends on the person, writer as much as you feel comfortable with. I will be following you, since I just started a Japan AAR myself, just different mod =)

@ikarases the reason i want him is he got it. he got the situation in Japan perfectly. before the situation dissolved he was one of the ones in the Russo-Japanese war. (where America screwed over the Japanese with a treaty that favoured the losers, but that's another issue) he opposed machuria and china wars and the axis pact. yet despite this, still was unflinchingly loyal to his country. he was opposed to war with the US but when ordered, still went through with pearl harbour. hell, if the carriers were their it would've worked! then at midway his only downfall was the failure of intelligence. his fate that the Americans gave him (the "get yanamoto" statement rubs me the wrong way tbh) was undeserving to a man who i believed to be an equal to the Desert Fox. that and i think itd be a great middle finger to Hideki

@muha thanks for the advice man and for the follow, good luck with the AAR, BlackICE?

ok im planning three things in the next update:
1 fix the technology screen even if I have to take a new one.
2 one of the new ships just got built and I want a picture of the naval reorganisation
3 I'm going to force a re-election (and hope i don't get a nameless clerk)

That's strange that you cant stroll down.. The only times that ever happened to me is when the game or program was not in truly full screen and moving the mouse down made the computer think I was trying to mouse over the task bar. I would suggest checking the options and see what it says, also try avoiding alt-tabbing after the launch the game. Alternately you could try pressing F-11 (default key in windows to enable full screen)

Okay 2 things.

1) I'm Restarting this AAR in this thread, the reason being my brother decided to prank all my paradox games (merging the karling-makedon blobs against my Mali empire in CKII, getting my uesgui annex by japan in EUIV turning my threat to 100 then releasing nations as japan in Victoria 2 and overwriting my saves then having Soviet union steam-roll me in HOI3) in light of this my next post will be up to may 16th and cover everything already covered by the previous attempt. hopefully the experience will help me.

2) anyone know any counter-pranks for my brothers games?

Not to be excited that you will be restarting the AAR, in this thread, but at least that allows me to follow from the beginning! HoI Japanese AARs are generally among my favorites, just because of the near unlimited amount of possibilities afforded to the player.

Cheers!