• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tanwo

Recruit
1 Badges
Apr 16, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
Hi, this is my first game, so maybe this is something simple that I misunderstood.
I have a problem with my heirs. My character, duke of Barcelona, married the countess of Valencia (under the Kingdom of Aragon), hoping that the county would be added to Barcelona. They have a son and a daughter.
The son is the heir of the duchy of Barcelona, but he is not the heir to the county of Valencia. Instead, the daughter is the heir to Valencia, and the pretenders are my wife's sisters.
Both children are of my dynasty, and both title's succession law are the same. Why is this happening?

They probably are not the same, look closer. The Aragon title is probably preferring women since it started out part of navarra or is still part of navara and thats a title that is Female preferred succession.

Is the son hers, or is it your son from a previous marriage?

Both son and daughter are from the same marriage, in fact the son is the eldest.

They probably are not the same, look closer. The Aragon title is probably preferring women since it started out part of navarra or is still part of navara and thats a title that is Female preferred succession.

You were right, they are not the same, sorry. Barcelona is Agnatic Primogeniture and Valencia (Aragon) is Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture.

But this should not stop the son from inheriting, if I understand it correctly. Doesn't Agnatic-Cognatic mean that the daughter would inherit only if there was no son?

If the kingdom of Aragon had high enough Crown Authority, titles within their territory cannot be inherited by those outside it; that might be it. Check to see if your son is in the line of inheritance for Valencia, if he's not only not second, but not even in there at all, that one is probably it.

If the kingdom of Aragon had high enough Crown Authority, titles within their territory cannot be inherited by those outside it; that might be it. Check to see if your son is in the line of inheritance for Valencia, if he's not only not second, but not even in there at all, that one is probably it.

The crown authority required to prevent titles from moving outside the realm via inheritance is High or Absolute. You can check what the crown authority in a kingdom is by clicking on the dejure kingdom map mode in the bottom right. Then, if you hover over a kingdom, it will tell you about their laws (including crown authority and investiture).

Yes, that's the problem. Aragon has High Crown Authority. My idea to get Valencia was not very good... Well, at least I learned something new! Thanks everyone.

On the topic of inheritance, I had something strange happen to me recently, too. I suddenly got a message telling me that I inherited Bearn. It seems that the countess of Bearn died without sons, or any other heirs. What I find strange, is that I have no relationship with her or the county. She wasn't of my dynasty, the only thing that makes us related is that her first husband was the son of a distant female member of my dynasty.
Why did I inherit the county? Is there any way to check if I am in line of inheritance of any other title?

Yes, that's the problem. Aragon has High Crown Authority. My idea to get Valencia was not very good... Well, at least I learned something new! Thanks everyone.

On the topic of inheritance, I had something strange happen to me recently, too. I suddenly got a message telling me that I inherited Bearn. It seems that the countess of Bearn died without sons, or any other heirs. What I find strange, is that I have no relationship with her or the county. She wasn't of my dynasty, the only thing that makes us related is that her first husband was the son of a distant female member of my dynasty.
Why did I inherit the county? Is there any way to check if I am in line of inheritance of any other title?

You can check to see if you're an heir of a title by hovering your mouse pointer over your character picture. Always check every so often, might give you a good target for assassination.