Diplomatic suggestions to make diplomatic nations viable

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(467281)

Sergeant
2 Badges
Mar 21, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Feel free to use any of this suggestions
updated to reflect feedback

the short version
Forming a league against a common A.E target
Forming a defensive league
Encouraging good relations between 2 other nations
Sabotage relations between 2 other nations
Revoke a claim
Spy offense
Spy defense

Diplomatic relations be a fixed limit
As manpower goes down, a nation's tax and production income should also be hit
Idea changes
-

Long version

Forming an active league against a target with A.E
- chance of joining is decided by how much A.E the enemy target has built up.
rivals will also join you if the target has enough A.E
- restrict military/ship access against the target
- spy cooperation against the target
this will increase the effect of 'spy offense', depending on how many league members have diplomats stationed in the target
- provide rebel funding against the target.
per league member, you get +1 rebel group to support
with enough league members, you can support all the available rebels
- mass trade embargo the target

*Once the target reaches 0 A.E, a nation will automatically drop out from the league.
A nation can be a member in any number of active league, but take note once their A.E against a target drops to 0, they will be automatically removed from that league.

Does not require relations
Does not require a diplomat to be stationed
Forming an active defensive league
- decided by how much relationship and trust you have.
league leader can only invite nations who share a core border with him
and afterwards he can also invite nations who share a core border with a member nation
once inside the league, members do not need to maintain a shared border, this is for cases when war takes away the border province. it is still possible to force a war loser to annual treaty, but its not possible to just grab a province and automatically kick out a member.

- league members may not accept individual peace offers.
this is to prevent a big nation from lightning annexing a small nation in the league. as above, league members will be located next to each other, so defeating a whole league will be like fighting a big nation. during the peace offer, it should be treated like 2 nations fighting each other

- this alliance activates only in defensive wars
- strengthening the league, every league member will get a relationship and trust bonus with each other. something like 'in the same league +25'
- military cooperation.
all league members get a free military and ship access to each other. no extra relations needed
- spy cooperation.
all league members get a bonus when doing 'Spy defense' in each other's nation. the more league diplomats in a nation, the more it benefits.
- trade cooperation.
some bonus to trade power per league member, this simply works the opposite of trade embargo and in a much smaller way.
- research cooperation.
a 0.5% discount to research per league member.
or
every month a random +1 monarch point per league member

*league member or leader who gets A.E against someone else inside the league will automatically be kicked out and cannot rejoin until the A.E is back at zero.
A nation can be a member in only 1 defense league
league members may not DoW or conduct offensive espionage on each other

Requires each nation to use 1 relation per member in the league
Does not require a diplomat to be stationed
Changes to Diplomatic relations
i suggest relations be a fixed limit and all random events affecting dip relations be removed.
Encouraging good relations between 2 other nations
max +50.
Stations a diplomat to build up good relations between 2 target country.
Sabotage relations
-this is the opposite of improve relations. every month the diplomat will work to decrease their relationship.

this effect should stack, so afew countries doing this together will cause real damage to the target's relationship with 1 country or more widespread damage with afew countries
Revoke claim
Revoke a country's claim on a province.
This should take the same time it needed to fabricate the claim.
however if more then 1 nation is revoking the same claim, then speed is increased.
Spy offense
stations a diplomat at the target, to lower spy defense
can stack diplomats
Spy defense
stations a diplomat at the target, to increase spy defense
any of your own free diplomats in capital should automatically increase your spy defense
can stack diplomats
Discovery chance
The min discovery chance should be put to 0% or -1%, to make discovery impossible when you have a high enough 'Net spy offense'

Net spy offense is your spy offense minus his spy defense
War Economy
I believe that as manpower goes down, a nation's tax and production income should also be hit. at 0% manpower, i believe a 20% to 25% reduction will make sense.

i mean look....a big war has been going on for years, all your army-age guys have been drafted into the army...where many have died in battle. Your manpower is running at near 0 every month. surely your economy is not running as nice as before ??.

(this should NOT apply to hordes or nomadic native indians)
Idea changes
Innovative:
Organized Recruitment
Optimism
Formalized Officer Corps

should switch places with

Expansion:
Additional Merchants
Experienced Diplomats
Competitive Merchants

Administrative idea 'Adaptability' and Expansion idea 'Additional Diplomats' should also switch places

Last edited:
I really like the league idea. Could something like this be modded?

Not sure about the providing troops thing though. Sounds like a fun mechanic, but would probably be too easy to exploit.

I particularly like the good relations between two states. Man there have been times I would have loved to make two allies, well more like allies.

The troop loan, is that so you can help someone without being an active partner? Say like removing national markers and saying the troops aren't yours?;)

I really like the league idea. Could something like this be modded?

Not sure about the providing troops thing though. Sounds like a fun mechanic, but would probably be too easy to exploit.

I particularly like the good relations between two states. Man there have been times I would have loved to make two allies, well more like allies.

The troop loan, is that so you can help someone without being an active partner? Say like removing national markers and saying the troops aren't yours?;)

thanks for the comments :)

the troop loan is so you can beef up the army of a nation, to prevent joe blob from winning a war or to help beat down joe blob.
or to play king maker, letting 1 country win against another country.
or to let a nation feel more powerful, then backstab him by removing the troops when war breaks out.

not sure how this would be exploitable, but will try to change it to prevent exploits

taking a justified war goal should NOT have any A.E. so if ur mission is to conquer the whole egypt and you conquer the whole egypt, you still should have zero A.E

I feel like this would be really broken.

Like, for example, I'm pretty sure a deus vult cb makes any province conquest a justified demand as part of the cb. You could jihad your way across all of Europe as the Ottomans without any AE, if I'm understanding this right, and that's ridiculous.

ok guys...thanks for your views :)

Its great that feedback has been mostly positive, i was wondering if my suggestions made sense to the other players playing this game

will remove the 0 A.E suggestion