• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I play the long game. I play on speed 1 for the opening decade, then speed 2 for the rest of the game...I pause as I need too.

I play at 4, and if a war is particularly intensive I reduce to 3. Anything below that is just too slow, and at 5 my game runs a year in a handful of seconds, so that's useless.

I wish speed 5 was speed 5. Cos my graphics card is crap, speed 5 is equivalent to speed 1 on my computer...

Its hell when I get a 14 year regency and forced to sit through 4.5 hours of being unable to declare war

Thanks for a lot of answers folks. I love to play on very slow speed to be able to think about what to do while the time passes. I can't se any contradictions between having an extremely high speed alternative and also an extremely slow one, and those in between. As it is in EUIII. The problem is that slowest speed in EUIV is too fast for my liking anyway and I have only one PC which is a rather new one with 64bit Win7 and 8Gb RAM. In other words fast.
I would think more people than me feels the same. As an example in EUIII I play Denmark with colonies, armies and navies spread around. When a conflict break out it is very nice to play on a very low speed, even if my message settings make sure to pause the game when enemies are encountered etc. I can't see why EUIV should not work presisely identical? With low speed it is also possible to consider helping armies and navies in trouble.
If I want to test my reactions and reflexes there are loads of FPS games and such out there. Playing strategy I like to think which I hope is the idea behind EUIV too.

I'm not sure I understand,OP, how much slower do you want speed 1 to be? My box is an absolute beast for running this game and speed 1 is terribly slow, as mentioned previously about two seconds per day. By comparison, speed 5 for me is like 1 second per month with a small hiccup from autosave. Considering you can pause at will in single player, then speed should never be an issue there. I often pause for minutes of real time while assessing different situations going on nearby to see if they are with getting involved in.

Two seconds per day is quite slow really. That's over 75 hours of gameplay from a 1444 start at 12 minutes per year. If you played for 4 hours per day it would take nearly three weeks to complete a single game. I can only imagine the sheer boredom of playing a Russian game at that speed considering it can take nearly a year for troops to traverse Siberia, that's ten minutes of watching troops slowly make their way across.

I started out at speed 2, quickly went to 3. After a couple games I went to 4 and stayed. I find that speed 5 is too fast unless I'm literally watching the days pass. Marching an army, the time it takes to register that it stopped and I need to issue a new order can lose 2-3 days before the pause kicks in.

Thanks a lot all you folks that gave me your honest and serious replies. I guess it comes down to playstyle but for me the main thing is to be able to play real slow when a lot is going on and then speed it up when little is happening. I really can't see any contradictions in that.
2 sec per day seems fast considering a battle historically usually lasted less than a day. I would love the game to slow really down automatically when a battle occurs so one might follow the action and be able to consider the next move. But that's seems to be only me more or less;)

+1

However it is worth noting that depending on your PC, the speed may vary from person to person. Example is that my speed 5 is probably your speed 3 or 4 or vice versa.
So perhaps the OP's PC is a type of super computer who runs the speed 1 at our speed 5 levels.

Speed 1-4 are standarized. speed 5 is "bring it on" and it should use all your computer`s power

I run on speed 4 normally, or to 5 to quickly rush an army across a map or something. Speed 2 during wars for the precision control, but back to 4 when its carpet siege time.

People complaining the game runs too fast.

k6Ku15G.gif

Now seriously, OP there's nothing wrong to pause often. You may configure the game to pause each time an event happens. I'll have mine to auto-pause after each battle and siege finishes, after a diplomat has concluded his mission and returned, a conversion ended, etc. Just click on that little icon in each message window.

Dude, I will take the bullet and believe you are serious about the speed thing.

There is a easy solution: install one of the windows softwares that slow down your computer. Something like CPUKiller. This kind of programs are meant to run old stuff (like games) in newer hardware.

I use them when I want to play a game from 2000 ish (my RPGs). Without it some games will go soo fast you cant even see the npcs moving lol. With it is like we are back in 2000 :p

Alternatives:
1) you can install a VM and set its virtual hardware to only use a small potential of your hardware.
2) you can set your clock (CPU) using the BIOS to a lower spec

Dude, I will take the bullet and believe you are serious about the speed thing.

There is a easy solution: install one of the windows softwares that slow down your computer. Something like CPUKiller. This kind of programs are meant to run old stuff (like games) in newer hardware.

I use them when I want to play a game from 2000 ish (my RPGs). Without it some games will go soo fast you cant even see the npcs moving lol. With it is like we are back in 2000 :p

Alternatives:
1) you can install a VM and set its virtual hardware to only use a small potential of your hardware.
2) you can set your clock (CPU) using the BIOS to a lower spec

You should also be able to lower the CPU priority of EU4 either through the task manager or as a launch option, but, tbh, I don't know how.

Many superb ideas:rolleyes:. I think speed 1 will work quite nice all things considered. I got used to it as I kept playing.

Let me just finish this thing by saying that this game seems to be a true masterpiece! I am impressed and can honestly say that this is the best EU game for me even though EU2 was just magic. Long live Paradox Interactive!