Aggressive Expansion modifier increased? I can't play this anymore!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jankie

Overlord
89 Badges
Mar 30, 2013
steamcommunity.com
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III Referal
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
Hello,

I've been playing a lot EU4 the last couple of months, but since the 1.5 patch, I struggle a lot keeping the AE low. I don't want to wait 20~30 years after a small war to fight another one.

Unbenannt-3.jpg

I recently annexed three provinces (sold one to Vassal) and vassalised another country after a war as Austria
I also friendly vassalised four other nations; this is what it looked liked after 10 years:

2014-04-12_00002.jpg

Less than a year later, half Europe destroyed my empire because of a huge coalition.

And this is just one example, I played a lot recently. Therefore I think that you should lower AE.

What do you think?

Is this a joke?

My current 1.5 Rules of expansion: 1 province per 5 years, improve relations with everyone, force vassalization also at minimum 5 years (size of country decides how long), annexation of countries also done in proper order - no mass or serial annexations, wait for some time then another one, otherwise it will be hard to get +50 relations to force them to leave from coalition against you. Working for 100% besides time I get to greedy, f.e. yesterday as Prussia I got to greedy and force vassalized 1 OPM and 1 TPM ... had leftover AE and boom :)

Yeah it`s slow.

EDIT: If you plan on playing in HRE consider all your actions like walking on minefield - step by step ... very slowly

So, you're in that HRE thing, where, by imperial law, all princes are meant to be at peace and protect each other. Then you just go ahead and vassalize everything nearby.
Are you any surprised people dislike that and form an coalition to stop you? :p

Stick to diploannexing and expansion outside of the HRE.

The best trick is to ally with bigger nations before you accumulate AE, because they will receive nearly no AE against you when you're being naughty.

Making just one of those a vassal through war is gonna give at least 15 AE. 4 of them = minimum 60AE. Then you have the annexed provinces, another 45 AE at least.

You racked up at least (if not more with some countries) 100 AE in the span on 10 years and you're surprised and angry that coalitions formed? Going over 30 will usually result in a country joining a coalition. I really am not trying to be insulting but did you not read one thing as you did any of this? Every peace deal tells you right at the bottom how much AE you're gonna get from the countries nearest you. If you click on a country and hover over the relations number it will tell you every detail of why they like/dislike you, including AE.

This is not Total War, you cannot just declare war left and right unless you're big and scary enough to not worry about any coalition.

As others have suggested you need to work on the diplomatic side of your game. Ally anyone you absolutely dont want in a coalition, as Austria that likely means France, Poland and probably Bohemia. Improves relations with anyone you could tolerate in a coalition but would prefer they wouldnt join anyone else is likely an immediate target. Once you have finished your HRE conquests shift your alliances further afield such as Castile and Russia whilst you take apart France and Poland. Diplovassalise is always the first choice, forcevassalise anything over an OPM, only ever directly annex one province at a time until you are confident you can defeat the resultant coalition. Basically you need to plan your entire diplomatic strat from day 0 in a HRE game.

Choose your allies carefully because they will get reduced ae from your conquests, ignoring the coalitions that will form.

Another very important thing try to not fail when you forge a claim because you will get +30 AE with your neighbours. Yeah +30 not +10 as it's stated in the game (see the tooltip for adjusted modifiers).
So claim provinces only from your rivals and cross fingers. Once as pope i got a coalition of half italy just because i failed to claim 2 provinces, didnt't even conquer anything. They even dowed me, so random. And yeah it's a paradox but sometimes you get less ae just asking provinces in defensive wars than forging a claim to conquer it aggressively. Example: as pope i got 60 ae for just claiming those 2 provinces, as kingdom of naples i was attacked by pope and asked for rome when i won the defensive war: 11,7 AE. I had a claim on rome? No. So do your math.
Imo people is a bit masochist to accept these rules, I hope it will change because seriously this is nonsense, in 1.4 ae was nullified and then this... BOH! In medio stat virtus, no?

Choose your allies carefully because they will get reduced ae from your conquests, ignoring the coalitions that will form.

Another very important thing try to not fail when you forge a claim because you will get +30 AE with your neighbours. Yeah +30 not +10 as it's stated in the game (see the tooltip for adjusted modifiers).
So claim provinces only from your rivals and cross fingers. Once as pope i got a coalition of half italy just because i failed to claim 2 provinces, didnt't even conquer anything. They even dowed me, so random. And yeah it's a paradox but sometimes you get less ae just asking provinces in defensive wars than forging a claim to conquer it aggressively. Example: as pope i got 60 ae for just claiming those 2 provinces, as kingdom of naples i was attacked by pope and asked for rome when i won the defensive war: 11,7 AE. I had a claim on rome? No. So do your math.
Imo people is a bit masochist to accept these rules, I hope it will change because seriously this is nonsense, in 1.4 ae was nullified and then this... BOH! In medio stat virtus, no?
It's 10. It's AE not malus opinion (not the same thing). Also, the one on the receiving end will have a much worse opinion malus (double or something).

AE still has weird issues. I was beating up in Novgorod while they were in a coalition against me. After I offered them a peace deal in which I accrued an ADDITIONAL 60+ AE for taking a huge amount of their territory, they LEFT the coalition after the war and so did the rest of the coalition! The huge amount of AE somehow became irrelevant to the entire world. :confused:

AE still has weird issues. I was beating up in Novgorod while they were in a coalition against me. After I offered them a peace deal in which I accrued an ADDITIONAL 60+ AE for taking a huge amount of their territory, they LEFT the coalition after the war and so did the rest of the coalition! The huge amount of AE somehow became irrelevant to the entire world. :confused:

It seems sometimes that if you utterly crush a coalition, it can fall apart. The wording of it doesn't match up to this (since you naturally are a threat...), but I think thats how it works.

It seems sometimes that if you utterly crush a coalition, it can fall apart. The wording of it doesn't match up to this (since you naturally are a threat...), but I think thats how it works.

It doesn't make sense then because two province Kazan entered into a coalition against me before. The rules of how coalitions "fall apart" seem to be random.