• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Eric8344

First Lieutenant
6 Badges
Jan 19, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2

Table of Contents

By Chapter:

Prologue
Chapter 1: The Darkest Hour
Interlude 1
Chapter 2: Daybreak

The Darkest Hour

Black January, Week 1 + Tech and Economy
Black January, Week 2
Black January, Week 3
Black January, Week 4
Cabinet Meeting
February 1945, Week 1
February 1945, Week 2 Part 1, 2 & 3
February 1945, Week 3
February 1945, Week 4 Part 1 & 2
Cabinet Meeting
March 1945, Week 1
March 1945, Week 2
March 1945, Week 3
March 1945, Week 4
Cabinet Meeting
April 1945, Week 1
April 1945, Week 2

Interlude 1

Soviet Cabinet Meeting, April 1945
Hitler Speech
Italy Cabinet Meeting, April 1945
Japan Cabinet Meeting, April 1945
American Cabinet Meeting, April 1945
Strategic Overview

Daybreak

April 1945 Week 3
April 1945 Week 4 Part 1 & Part 2
Cabinet Meeting May 1945
May 1945 Week 1
May 1945 Week 2 Part 1 & Part 2

May 1945 Week 3 Part 1, 2 & 3
May 1945 Week 4 Part 1, 2, 3 & 4
Cabinet Meeting
June 1945 Week 1 Part 1, 2, & 3
June 1945 Week 2 Part 1, 2 & 3

June 1945 Week 3, Part 1 & 2
June 1945 Week 4 Part 1

The War in the Pacific

I MUST DIRECT THIS PERSONALLY
Sudden and Deliberate Attacks
"One Hundred Million With One Spirit"
The Kingly Way
"The Fate of the Nation is Decided by War and Peace"
"India is Calling"

"Rising Sun Over China"

Contributions and Other Assorted Goodies:

American Cabinet Meeting, February 1945 by zig_zac
Warsaw: City of the Dead by Teivel

How Not to Win a War by Eric8344
Polandball Comic Part 1, 2 & 3 by Shroobot3000

Prologue
Berlin, Germany

December 16, 12:00 AM
The Fuehrer's Bedroom

*Shot pans over a bed. There is a man sleeping in it. He has a stupid mustache.
*Honk, ZZZZZZZ, Hoooonk, ZZZZZZZZ, Honk* CRASH! "Huh, what was that sound! I must go investigate" The strange man leaps out of bed, revealing... Adolf Hitler :eek:!!! As der Fuehrer went to find the source of the sound, he tripped over his dog, Blondi, and bumped his head, hard, into his cabinet...

Berlin, Germany
December 16, 12:30 AM
The War Room

"Guten Morgen, Gentleman!" Hitler jubilantly exclaimed.
"Mein Fuehrer, why have you arranged a meeting at such an ungodly hour?" Goering asked. "I haven't even finished my third midnight snack yet!"
"I've had an epiphany, gentlemen. Instead of LOSING the war... we should try WINNING it, instead! I hereby rescind my earlier never-call-retreat order, and demand an immediate withdrawal along the entire front line. We must abandon Hungary and Croatia, as we have no hope of defending them. Our army in Liepaja must be evacuated as well. In the Western Front, we will not launch a counteroffensive as I originally intended. Instead, we will attempt to build up our oil reserve a little, and then, and only then, will we launch a counterattack. I have also ordered the construction of a nuclear reactor in Berlin. Do any of you have further suggestions?
"Well, Mein Fuehrer, it may be prudent do end our construction of ships, missiles, and motorized units. We don't have the fuel to use them anyway; the IC would be better used to reinforce our army."
"Wunderbar! I can always count on you, Speer."
"As Chief of the Navy, I believe it is my duty to inform you that our navy is a waste of supplies at the moment. Why not scuttle the ships, for material and manpower?"
"Insightful as always Doenitz. We shall keep the Baltic Fleet for now however; we need the transports. Everything else will go however."

*Sniff "Can I... *Sniff... Can I keep my subs :("

"Umm... yeah okay."
:D
*Ahem "Now, I believe that's all, gentleman. We've done the impossible before, let's do it again!"

End Prologue
Okay, and that's that! After this little cabinet meeting, Joachim von Ribbentrop immediately went to work securing oil for the Reich. He was successful for the most part, arranging an incredible deal with Venezuela for nearly 100 oil! The German army was ordered to halt for a few days, moving only by rail. A counteroffensive in the West was launched in the last few days of December...

What does everyone think so far? I already have completed the first week of 1945- I intend for this AAR to update each week, covering a week in game play- further updates should be a little meatier. This is my first post on the site, so please bear with me if there are any strange formatting issues. I'll put up the next update someday this week. I'll see you then!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Awww, man, I just realized someone else just started an 1945 AAR...

I don't see why that's a problem, particularly if you keep up the narrative style which seems feasible if you're doing a week at a time. As a comedian once told me "there's no such thing as a hack topic, only hack approaches". Just do it in your own way and enjoy it, that's the whole point of writing AARs. I'd also say keep it up because the Prologue was quite fun, I'm looking forward to more.

Hello, everyone! I’ve decided on a format for this AAR. It will be divided into chapters, which are then subdivided into months and weeks. To recap...

Previously, in the 1945 AAR…
• Hitler, after hitting his head hard one night, decided to win the war, instead of losing it.
• A front-wide withdrawal was ordered. German units moved by rail instead of driving, to save oil.
• Oil stockpiles were going up every day, instead of plummeting downward!
• On December 24th, stockpiles were deemed sufficient to launch a counteroffensive. The attack was launched Christmas Day, when GIs would be presumably be celebrating. Apparently, the Allies have no Christmas spirit, as resistance was surprisingly stiff.
• Meanwhile, the Courland Pocket is in the process of being rescued by the remnants of the Kriegsmarine.
And that brings us to the first week of 1945!

Chapter One: The Darkest Hour
Month 1: Black January
Week 1: A New Hope

Berlin, Germany
January 1 3:00 PM
The War Room

Ministers_zpsd63fba55.png

“Happy New Year, Gentlemen! Shall we review the current state of affairs? Military first, please.”

West_zps010e037d.png

“The Western Front, as it stands now Mein Fuehrer. Not good. As you know, your Christmas Offensive has thus far failed to achieve much. Resistance is tougher than expected, but we should achieve a breakthrough any day now.” Guderian began.

ItalyampBalkans_zps47da124a.png

“The situation in Southern Europe. We have formed a solid line in Italy, and…”
“Why does Italy have land north of Croatia?”
“That is the “free” country of Slovenia, you ordered its liberation, remember Mein Fuehrer?” uttered von Ribbentrop.
“What was I thinking :wacko:!”
“Your mind is ever the mystery, Mein Fuehrer," Guderian said. "On to the most important front-

SE_zps6a0b7eec.png

CE_zpsbd3b9750.png

NE_zpsec74cfb3.png

As you know, we have abandoned Hungary. They have, incredibly enough, managed to hold on regardless. In the center, we have abandoned most of Poland and set up a solid line, led by myself. Finally, Army Group North has set up a truly invulnerable defensive line in Prussia. The Courland Pocket has almost been completely rescued but it’s only a matter of time. General Jaenecke has been leading the defense, and he is coordinating the evacuation with Grand Admiral Saalwaechter. Given that the two have saved all but 9 of the 37 divisions trapped there, including all Panzers, HQs, and brigaded divisions in the pocket, some rewards are due for the two. I’m not saying anything, but perhaps we could use a Chief of Navy not so obsessed with submarines?”
“Doooo-doooo, doooooo-doooooo enemy spotted! Fire torpedoes! PEW PEW! Kabloo-

dopic01a1_zps3c9b4923.jpg

why is everyone looking at me :mellow:?”

“No reason, Doenitz. Go back to playing with your toys.”

Pacific_zps6c0e0fcc.png

“Finally, the current status of the Pacific War. The Japanese have already sunk 25 transports :eek:hmy:! And they have not lost a single capital ship yet :eek:! AND they destroyed the American beachhead on the Philippines :eek:! I know it is uncharacteristic of me to be so… excited!… but our Oriental friends are making a truly good showing so far. May they live a thousand years!”
“Thank you, General. Speer, may I see your report on the economy?”
“I’m sorry, Mein Fuehrer- I seem to have misplaced it. But I remember the important details. We currently have 8 days of oil left, provided Ribbentrop cannot acquire more for us. We lose 200 tons a day, but if you were to issue a halt order, we gain nearly 300 tons a day! Unfortunately, that is not an option at the moment, as we are in the middle of an offensive and the struggle against the Soviets requires constant shuffling of troops. Two more infantry divisions will be completed by the end of the week, after which we will only be building a nuclear reactor in Berlin- the first stage will complete on April 14th.”
“Thank you, Herr Speer. Doenitz, what is the status of the Kriegsmarine?”
“We have 30 GLORIOUS SUBS in Bremen. The Baltic Fleet is the only surface fleet intact, though we decided to scuttle a few ships after a duel with the Soviet and Finnish navies. I recommend building many, many more submarines- they're very useful you know. You can never have too many subma…”
“Thank you, Doenitz. Goering?”
*Om nom nom* “Hmm? Oh right, the Luftwaffe. We’ve had to ground the entire airforce, to save oil and enact repairs. I did scramble some interceptors to stop some British bombers though- that seems to have scared them off, as they haven’t come back.”
“Excellent! Ribbentrop, how goes your quest for oil?”
“Venezuela gives us almost 100 tons a day; other nations will provide us pitifully small amounts, but it does add up. Through negotiations, we can acquire more though. I’ll update you personally whenever I succeed.”
“Can Franco provide us with any oil? He is a fellow Fascist after all, and he owes us for everything he’s got.”
“Let’s just say, Mein Fuehrer,

Franco_High1_zps053773c3.png

whatever Franco is on,

Franco_High2_zpsbc402021.png

I want some. He is willing to negotiate for oil, but he absolutely refuses to give us any reasonable lasting deals.”
*Sigh “Put Spain on the list of nations we need to invade after we win the war, Herr Ribbentrop! Meeting adjourned.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liepaja, Latvia
13:00 January 1

Liepaja_zps57a29d65.png

General Jaenecke had been expecting this attack for some time. The loss of a single division in this darkest hour could be disastrous- where was Saalwaechter?

Meanwhile, at Guderian’s Headquarters…
Guderian was inspecting the defenses of Lodz when one of his aides came running, his face pale and despairing. Guderian braced himself.

Zilina_zpsc359b8fb.png

“The Soviets! They’ve finally launched a major offensive, at Zilina!”
Guderian pinched the bridge of his nose. If the Soviets achieved a breakthrough here, the entire front would collapse; reinforcements traveling by train are still a week away. Guderian immediately ordered a counterattack on Krakow, and ordered an end to a minor offensive planned in the south.

Manstein_Zilina_zpsdc2655ec.png

Instead, Manstein is ordered to Zilina, double-time!

Berlin, Germany
Hitler was working on some very Fuehrerish stuff when he decided to take a peek at the progress in the West.

Antwerp_Victory_zps5c916fea.png

Finally, some victories!

Blitzin_Time_zpsf4db2df0.png

This is not the end, or even the beginning of the end, but it is perhaps the end of the beginning of the end of the Reich!

Fight__to_the_Last_zpsb05f104b.png

Fight to the last, men! Hmm, the Allies are having supply problems? Is Doenitz secretly still sailing sneaky submarines, surreptitiously :ninja:? Meanwhile, the Allies throw themselves against the Siegfried Line! Presumably literally, given they have no ammunition :rofl:?

Liepaja, Latvia

Liepaja_Incredible_zps17bd1f97.png

General Jaenecke had no choice but to order his soldiers to retreat into the ocean. The struggling men swam for hours in the Baltic, until Admiral Saalwaechter’s ships picked up the desperate men. General Jaenecke and the three divisions under his command are all that’s left trapped in the pocket- he knows it is unlikely he will make it.

Lodz, Guderian’s HQ
10:00 January 5th

Manstein_Arrives_zpsaeed97b3.png

A collective sigh of relief is given when Field Marshall Manstein finally arrives in Zilina. The odds still look grim, but further help is on the way! Guderian considers encircling Warsaw via Radom, but decides against it. The last thing the Reich needs is another risky counteroffensive.

Miracle_zps36162629.png

A miracle! The entire Courland pocket escaped! General Jaenecke is immediately promoted to Field Marshal… and then immediately fired, as he is as talented a Field Marshal as Heinrich Himmler. Herr Jaenecke will nonetheless enjoy his retirement no doubt; this hero of the Reich brought us a much needed victory!

End Week 1

-General Jaenecke in real life was in command of the army encircled in Sevastopol. Hitler fired him for suggesting the pocket be evacuated… but remember, Hitler is a touch schizophrenic after his bump on the head.
-I love that picture of Doenitz.
-How do you retreat into the ocean?
-Next update will show economy and tech progression. I took screenshots at the end of the week, but not the start- oops!
-The Soviets have been extremely timid so far.
-The characters tend to switch back-and-forth from serious to goofy; six years of war is probably starting to get to them.
-Seriously, how does one retreat into the ocean?
-I am genuinely impressed so far with the Japanese- but can they keep it up?
-I mean really, how do you retreat into the ocean?

Thanks for the support everyone! I’d like to ask for a little vote: Should the AAR be…
A. More zany, less serious
B. More serious, less zany
C. Keep the current tone
D. Some other fourth thing

Last edited:
C.

Oooohhhh, planing on future invasions already - i like that.
And for the record - Donitz (in this AAR) is THE BEST :D. His submarine magic is already working.

"If the Soviets achieved a breakthrough here, the entire front would collapse" - Erm, doesn't it apply to ALL Eastern front :D ?

EDIT: Since the start is so promising - We want Martin Borman and Walter Schellenberg!!! (in the future updates)

About the oil - if possible, use ,,open negotiations" option. This should boost Your oil stockpiles.

Last edited:
Enclave: I actually have not withdrawn behind the Vistula yet, so there's still a little, teensy-tiny bit of wiggle room in the north.

StoneColdCroat: Soon enough :D! I love your AAR by the way.

Everyone else: Thanks for the support!

I'm still working on the next update, but I've made a quick tech and economy update.

Berlin, Germany
January 8th, 1945
Hitler’s Office

“Mein Fuehrer?”

“Ja, Bormann?”

Albert Speer would like to see you. He says he has made a report on the status of the economy for you, as well as Schellenberg’s technology report. Schellenberg is still on his secret mission, as you know. *whispering* :ninja: He thinks he’s close…”

*whispering* :ninja: “Excellent…” *Speaking normally* “Anyway, please send Speer in.”

30 minutes later…

“Guten Morgen, Mein Fueher. Here is the report, one week late.”

Economy_EOW1_zpsf2518cb7.png

“As you can see, we have a massive surplus of coal, and a large metal surplus as well. We are losing rare materials quickly, but the major problem is oil; we lose anywhere from 100 to 350 a day, depending on our convoys and the number of troops we move.”

Tech_EOW1_zpse5f27a08.png

“The technology report. Heisenberg is 1/10th done with his research- he believes the development of a nuclear reactor will speed up his research. Schellenberg says the Americans have very advanced atomic and nuclear research, and this technology can create a weapon unlike any ever seen. Schellenberg estimates we can have such a weapon in three years time.” Speer droned. “I.G. Farben is nearly a fifth done developing a new method for creating synthetic oil- We need this! Konrad Zuse is improving the Enigma Code. The rest of our research is devoted to military technologies. I personally have my misgivings about superheavy tanks…”

“But they’re just so cute :eek:o!”

*sigh “I also don’t understand why General Guderian is researching mechanized infantry. He’s a general, not an engineer! How did you even get him to agree :huh:?

“Money, dear boy. Also…”

FKDJyTn.jpg

“Carrot-and-stick, Speer, carrot-and-stick.”

Last edited:
Previously, on the 1945 AAR…
• General Jaenecke resuced the entire Courland Pocket!
• Breakthroughs were achieved in the Western Front.
• The line still holds in the Eastern Front.
• General Guderian is researching Mechanized Infantry, under threat of early retirement.
And now, for your feature presentation…

The Darkest Hour
Black January
Week 2: The Empire Strikes Back

Saarbrucken, Germany
General von Rundstedt’s Headquarters

Von Rundstedt was ordered to launch an all-out offensive. He had his doubts as to whether such an attack could succeed, but he had his orders.

Zg0y28H.jpg

Meanwhile, on the Eastern Front, the Soviets end their attack on Zilina to attack Bratislava.

zphgqId.jpg

The Soviets are not deploying nearly enough men to win here. Guderian decides it is a ruse intended to lure Manstein out of Zilina, and quietly resumes reading his book, “Engineering for Dummies.”

PphHaIB.jpg

The attack sees some early success. Why do the Bohemian Corporal’s ridiculous schemes always seem to work :angry:? Von Rundstedt took a long sip from his mug. If Hitler wins here, he’ll never hear the end of it. Of course, the Allies will get their act together soon, oh yes!

L1AFzqd.jpg

… Or they will somehow manage to get their ENTIRE ARMY IN FRANCE ENCIRCLED :eek:!

Berlin, Germany
Hitler’s Office

*ring, ring*
“Hello? Ahh, von Ribbentrop! What is it?"

HxEn2uS.jpg

“I’ve negotiated a deal with Venezuela. They’ve given us 527 tons of oil, in exchange for advanced horseshoe technology. Next we will trade our saddle technology.”

“Haha, the Venezuelans are real idiots, aren’t they :rofl:! That's priceless!”

The Next day…

OlKBgem.jpg

*Hitler slowly takes off his glasses*
“I want only the following men in the room: Keitel, Jodl, Krebs, and Burgdorf.”

One Rant Later

N9vqMSB.jpg

“Wait! Mein Fuehrer, please, I will arrange another deal with them!”

“Nein! They are traitors, and I’m not talking to them anymore :angry:! I’ll find a newer, better oil market, you’ll see! One that won’t BETRAY ME, WHEN-”

“You’re not thinking rationally, Adolf.” Speer interjected. “We need the oil right now.”

“…You’re right, Speer. Von Ribbentrop- put Venezuela on “the list” please.”

“But of course, Mein Fueher.”

Antwerp, Belgium
Model’s Headquarters

Model was shaking with anticipation. The offensive had already destroyed around half of the Allied army in the Low Countries. If Model could take Lille, he could relieve the Dunkirk garrison and encircle what was left of the Allied forces in Belgium!

jEMrA9c.jpg

Only two divisions stand in his way!

von Rundstedt’s HQ

Von Rundstedt was simply astonished at the incompetence of the Allied army.

VFonF7i.jpg

Von Rundstedt sighed. He could picture Hitler gloating already.

Model’s HQ

Model hopes were dashed when the Allied army arrived in Lille.

X2N2XM1.jpg

It’s no matter- they’ll simply be encircled here!

Southpincer_zps79bf053f.png

Northpincer_zps3a85daae.png

The Reich’s victory is inevitable.

End Week

• Venezuela presumably discovered the “advanced” horseshoe technology dated back to the 1870s.
• Nothing New From the Eastern Front. Hungary's been annexed, but that was expected.
• Hopefully next week will see a return of something.

Last edited: