• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

yonderTheGreat

Colonel
114 Badges
Dec 12, 2002
www.planetdungeonsiege.com
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Diplomacy
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
Okay so it took me a bit of time but I figured out the mechanism for intentionally creating ArchBishops (not sure if that's the term) and Merchant Republics. The Merchants are my concern with this post.

In order to create a Merchant Republic, I need to do the following steps: Either find a Mayor or create a Mayor by giving an unlanded Court Member (or relative) a city. Then give that person an appropriate County. Then give that person an appropriate Duchy. BAM! Merchant Republic created.

Now... as the Byzantine Emperor, I'm going with the "no Kings whatsoever" route and just managing Dukes. It's a BIT more of a hassle, but not a lot more, and they're a lot easier to control when rebellions come along.

Anywayz... let's take Sicily as an example. Let's say I create a one-county Doge. I normally just give entire duchies (i.e. all counties and baron-level holdings in a duchy) to new vassals and let them sort it out themselves. But if I do this for Bishoprics or Merchant Republics, then it counts against my total allowable. For example... if I give all 5 counties to my new Doge Vassal, then that's 5 counties that count against my total allowed.

So... do I manually handle all of the counties myself so that only one of them belongs to the Doge (i.e. the other four belong to Baron Counts) or is there an advantage to a Doge controlling 5 counties?

Egads I hope you guys are able to translate what I am saying, apologies if I misused terms. And, as always, thank you!

"Baron counts" should be "vassal counts" if my reading of what you wrote is correct. Besides the county limit, if your crown laws allow for intra-realm wars, there is nothing stopping your vassals from attacking the merchant republic. If they take away the duchy from the republic, the republic will collapse.

Indeed. I'm not surprised my terminology was somewhat incorrect. Seems you knew what I meant tho, so that's good.
Regarding the vassal in-fighting: Byzantine starts with Medium CA, which should disallow infighting. Tho that's good info to have for the future in case I get weakened.

Here's a specific question. Once I retake Sicily, I intend on making it a Merchant Republic. I'm making all of the islands MR's. So, what are the strengths and weaknesses of the following:

1)Giving a single Merchant all five counties and the duchy. (Note: This is what I usually do with conquered duchies)
2)Giving a single Merchant a single county and the duchy, and then giving non-Merchant courtiers/vassals the other counties and transferring vassalage from me to the Sicilian Doge.

I... think I phrased that correctly. Or correctly-ish.

It might be more beneficial to keep Sicily as a feudal duchy. Can pump out a fair number of troops, and just using Cyprus and Crete as merchant republics will probably net you enough beneficial tradeposts. If you really want to encourage them to have a trade presence on sicily, you could always give them a town or two.

Doges have that big -50% modifier on tax though, so it isn't worth giving them TOO many productive cities!

I am getting it that you make bishops out of people by giving them a primary bisporic title and then making them counts? What are the benefits if I might ask?

I created two republics(three if you count the conquered Venice by the AI before I became Emperor), Sicily, Venice and Jerusalem by accident and somehow despite the different goverment malus they have not turned against me so far (996). They also have increased their trade zones (except Jerusalem who I have it as such only for a year) building trading posts throughout the eastern med. They seem to be getting lots o money in.

I am getting it that you make bishops out of people by giving them a primary bisporic title and then making them counts? What are the benefits if I might ask?

The biggest current benefit to non-Catholic Christian theocracies is that they are immune to vassal consolidation. Since the heir is not dynastic, he won't be marrying some duchess and pulling her land into a super-duchy. With Catholic theocracies, you also get a "secular power" boon when trying to get a Duke-level "Prince-Archbishop" elected as a Cardinal. One last minor bonus is the piety they push up stream to you.

They used to be pretty docile, too, never rebelling... but that has been eliminated for a few patches now.

One note related to the OP though: It's fun to create a mayor->Doge of your dynasty (I try to do it every game I play after I pass a certain size), but be careful with it. Since it will be Patrician-seniority, you may end up with a powerful Doge who is your brother, and a pretender to the throne. They tend to not like you that much when that happens...

Thanks for the heads up Tom013. I get it that it also disqualifies any claimants from a throne since they are priests now? Time to revoke some titles in the next civil war....