• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BigPharma

μαθητής τοῦ Μαιμονίδου
21 Badges
Dec 3, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
I'm not sure if I'm just having consistently terrible luck with the RNG, but since RoI, I've noticed that the education trait that's given to children is a lot more random. Brilliant Strategist tutors produce Misguided Warriors or even Dutiful Clerics, and picking a tutor for my heir has gotten a lot more difficult now that there's no real guarantee that he/she will end up with the desired education, even if I tutor him/her myself. Has anyone else noticed this?

It seems to me like it's always been this way, nothing annoys me more than having my genius son educated by a grey eminence and then he becomes a misguided warrior. I've had plenty of kids get top tier jobs after RoI though, just a matter of chance.

Yeah I find it really weird that having my child trained by a strategist makes them a diplomat. IMO the game should hardcode it so that there is no random element to education beyond what level you get. After all, if I get taught by a diplomat, I'm not going to somehow know how to lead men, as that was not the qualification of my teacher.

Yeah I find it really weird that having my child trained by a strategist makes them a diplomat. IMO the game should hardcode it so that there is no random element to education beyond what level you get. After all, if I get taught by a diplomat, I'm not going to somehow know how to lead men, as that was not the qualification of my teacher.

Should depend on the child, too. A child gets might be under a diplomat's tutelage, but if he starts getting high martial stats and traits like wroth, it's not unreasonable that as he gets older and more free to roam the land, he'll be attracted to soldiers and generals, befriending them and learning from them, and eventually forsaking his "official" education for his own interests.

On the other hand, in-game this does seem to work a lot more randomly. I've seen Misguided Warriors with 0 Martial who were taught by a steward since they were 0(I.E my ruler was a Midas Touched, and the guardian assigned later was too). That really doesn't make much sense :wacko:

It seems to me like it's always been this way, nothing annoys me more than having my genius son educated by a grey eminence and then he becomes a misguided warrior. I've had plenty of kids get top tier jobs after RoI though, just a matter of chance.

Can confirm this, I still play 2.0.4 and it happens. Not RoI exclussive.

Can confirm this, I still play 2.0.4 and it happens. Not RoI exclussive.

Yeah, but it seems to happen a *LOT* more often now...

Personal experience means nothing, it's not statistically meaningful.

Perhaps you just had a stroke of bad luck with the RNG with your game. On my current game, the opposite is happening, all my children had obtained the intended educational trait except for one single excepcion (martial-educated son gets elusive shadow).

So, perhaps it's just you :)

I'd have to say it's probably just bad luck, or your memory screwing with you. I don't recall this happening that much; and I remember reading somewhere that people often remember things that go against their expectations (a kid tutored by a grey eminence becoming a misguided warrior) more vividly than things that are expected and normal (a kid tutored by a grey eminence becoming a grey eminence).

It's happened consistently over three generations where at least one child (out of about three or four) does not end up with the expected education trait, but as a lot of people have stated, there's really no statistical evidence to back up any claim that changes to education have been made. I just wanted to see if others were having trouble with this.