• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jokolytic

Defensor Innocentis
13 Badges
Nov 25, 2012
forum.paradoxplaza.com
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
Sometimes I accidentally send a relative to a monastery or decide I don't really want that person working there. There should be a patch that lets you revoke monkhood.

While pretty much every monastic order to ever exist has had a sort of trial period, once you take your vows you can never leave under pain of excommunication. I'm unaware of any historical cases of rulers trying to fight that, though there probably is the odd one.

Becoming a monk should be permanent, as it was(is).

While pretty much every monastic order to ever exist has had a sort of trial period, once you take your vows you can never leave under pain of excommunication. I'm unaware of any historical cases of rulers trying to fight that, though there probably is the odd one.

Becoming a monk should be permanent, as it was(is).

There are several instance of people being forced into the vows and later being recalled or freed when circumstances changed. This was particularly prevalent in Byzantium Theodora and her sister Zoe came and went from a convent a number of times and Robert Guiscard during his attempted invasion of Byzantine was claimed to be doing it to restore Michael VII who had been forced to retire to a monastery.

The rules were somewhat akin to the divorce laws. The church technically didn't allow divorce but if the church officials wanted to or were being forced to you could find a loop hole.

Sometimes I accidentally send a relative to a monastery or decide I don't really want that person working there. There should be a patch that lets you revoke monkhood.

Nah, that's mostly authentic and historic.

What the real problem is, are the monks and nuns in the marry lists...when they should simply not be there.

I know of one case where someone in Iberia was pulled out of the monastery to be king to avoid a succession crisis. He got married, had a kid, then immediately retook the vows.

On the other hand, why do sons that have been ordered to take the vows still generate landless son prestige loss?

I know of one case where someone in Iberia was pulled out of the monastery to be king to avoid a succession crisis. He got married, had a kid, then immediately retook the vows.

On the other hand, why do sons that have been ordered to take the vows still generate landless son prestige loss?

Hm, not sure which ruler you mean, but there is an opposite example from Iberia, too: Henry I of Portugal, who became the king after Sebastian died at Ksar-el-Kebir, but could not get rid of his ordination (being a Cardinal) even after appealing to the pope, and hence was unable to marry and produce an heir.

The Iberian king in question was Ramiro II 'the Monk' of Aragon.

If the game were more complex, the Pope could revoke the vows of a claimant and go to war against you. But sadly it'd be way beyond the game's capabilitity.

There are several instance of people being forced into the vows and later being recalled or freed when circumstances changed. This was particularly prevalent in Byzantium Theodora and her sister Zoe came and went from a convent a number of times and Robert Guiscard during his attempted invasion of Byzantine was claimed to be doing it to restore Michael VII who had been forced to retire to a monastery.

The rules were somewhat akin to the divorce laws. The church technically didn't allow divorce but if the church officials wanted to or were being forced to you could find a loop hole.

I suppose that's true - ordering someone in your court to become a monk is akin to force, which would have nullified the vows. Perhaps the game could allow a different ruler to absolve them of their vows. Those who become monastics of their own free will should stay that way though.

The Dispositio Achillea (the House-Law of the Hohenzollern) said, that the first born son should take over the respective lands of their lines (Brandenburg, Franken and the Land auf dem Gebirge), while the second and further sons should take on a clerical career. But should the first son die without hires, the second should come back and take over. While I don't know from the top of my head, if this rule was ever used, it shows (in my opinion) that getting back into a ruling role was not totally impossible historically.