Industry Problems Cropping up in Paradox

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tarantian

Corporal
1 Badges
Aug 19, 2013
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
Never minding whether or not a reboot of Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim should ever be made.

There are wide spread problems with the industry right now, and smaller companies aren't immune to them, to my dismay I've found some of them have begun infesting Paradox.

One of the problems in the industry is for companies to decide that the original fanbase of a project isn't big enough, and making the decision to burn the fan base for the sake of reaching larger audiences. This appears to have happened with Majesty 2, which had I believe a 2000 page long thread about how it didn't work as a Majesty game and how to fix it. But rather than writing off entire fan bases there's something developers and publishers don't often think to do, and that's to grow a brand, grow a franchise, and grow a fan base. That's something Paradox of all companies should know, I'm not so sure about THQ, but THQ is a dead company now.

Another common problem in the industry that appears to have wormed it's way into Paradox is a tendency to declare genres dead based on faulty data, such as how well a game sold over a decade ago, or how many people are discussing a game that was released over a decade ago and no one has any reason to discuss. There's even the assumption that a game in the genre would appeal only for fans of the original who there aren't enough of to matter, as if no one else would see it on Steam and buy it or like what they saw in a letsplay and pick it up.

This mentality in a world where Goat Simulator can become a top seller is baffling to me, never minding that it goes to the problem of burning fandoms instead of growing them, it writes off untapped markets.

I have to confess to see the same attitudes that plague the Triple A industry cropping up in Paradox, it shakes my faith in the company and it's future products. I love Paradox, that hasn't changed, but I like it a lot less now than I did before I learned the contempt it has for majesty fans and the short sighted and irrational though processes going into some of it's decisions.

Last edited:
The industry has changed, and will change even more. We live in the era of smartphone 5 minute games, microtransactions, dlcs and simplification. That is what sells. Production time - minimal, audience - huge (there are much more casual gamers than "real" gamers). Entry barriers are pretty steep, and there are a lot of failures, but due to low production cost, it is a risk a lot of people dare to take. And that sorta goes around: more crappy content, more unprofessional studios/developers, etc. mid-nineties - late 00s was the era of super detailed, carefully planned and balanced games. Mid and late 00 was the era of AAA ridiculous project rising. This era is ending. But any world system consists of phases. This phase will pass eventually, and there will be something new. Maybe another "Majesty 1/ Ufo: enemy unknown/ mech commander" phase. I too miss those days greatly.

I think we might be moving into that phase by now. If you look on steam or kickstarter, there's a lot of mid-budget games with the same production values that you might have seen in AAA titles 15-20 years ago (or maybe a little more recently.) We can bitch about their quirks and foibles, but could something like Inquisitor or the Banner Saga have been made ten years ago?