• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Red_warning

Field Marshal
83 Badges
Jul 5, 2010
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Victoria 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
This has always bothered me, ever since the release of the game, but since it's such a small problem I haven't bothered to make a thread about this. However with the release of RoI my interest for the game has resurged and as such I feel it's finally time to voice my concern on this.

In CKII, spouses of ruling queens get the "king" title, but IRL (in history and the present) the king title is above that of the queen title. Modern monarchies have gotten around this by just giving the spouses to ruling queens the prince title, however in medieval Europe a marriage to a queen would always give the husband the king title so it's a bit of a dilemma here. I think Paradox should go with the modern solution as a queen that married in medieval Europe would lose most of her responsibilities over the realm to her husband, so even though CKII follows history by giving the king title to the spouse the mechanics in the game simply do not reflect implications of this. A queen married to a king would not be in charge of the realm.

This has always bothered me, ever since the release of the game, but since it's such a small problem I haven't bothered to make a thread about this. However with the release of RoI my interest for the game has resurged and as such I feel it's finally time to voice my concern on this.

In CKII, spouses of ruling queens get the "king" title, but IRL (in history and the present) the king title is above that of the queen title. Modern monarchies have gotten around this by just giving the spouses to ruling queens the prince title, however in medieval Europe a marriage to a queen would always give the husband the king title so it's a bit of a dilemma here. I think Paradox should go with the modern solution as a queen that married in medieval Europe would lose most of her responsibilities over the realm to her husband, so even though CKII follows history by giving the king title to the spouse the mechanics in the game simply do not reflect implications of this. A queen married to a king would not be in charge of the realm.

IIRC people like Guy of Lusignan were King Jure uxoris (by right of the wife).

But to be honest I think the way it is currently is perfectly acceptable when there are other more pressing issues that need to be resolved. Especially when the extent of a Queen's power would depend on the culture and/or religion in question.

Maria Terresia didn't let her husband, the emperor of HRE, interfere with HRE and Austria's politics. It's a bit after medieval era, though.

King consort is not a king. If he were from a foreign country or come from a humble noble family, most likely the queen will either willingly concur to council of internal nobles or rule lands by herself.

The King Consort took control in a few cases like the husbands on Sybilla, Isabella and Maria of Jerusalem. But in other cases like Urraca of Castile, Tamar of Georgia, Rusudan of Georgia, Joanna I of Naples the King Consort was subordinate to the Queen regnant.

It depended on the character of the Queen and her husband.

the spouse of a Queen's title was determined by the Queen herself and by her advisors. It depended on who the husband was and what influence he would have if he was given the king title. Usually they were given the Prince consort title but they could easily be given a King title.