Hearts of Iron IV - Development Diary 4 - Land Doctrines

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Would be interesting if your selected unlocked doctrines could be applied by some, but not all of your generals. Would be even more interesting if they had the potential to learn them during combat. So for example you unlock Blitzkrieg, but not all your generals have the skill to actually apply it in combat. Possibly a step too far in complication though.

"Swap out of it?" I hear you say. Yes, you can change your Doctrine path if you want. This will come at a cost. There will be a period of disorganisation for your army based on how far into your previous path you were and on the size of your army, so it's likely not something you want to do when things are going very poorly in the middle of a war. However, you do not necessarily start from scratch in your new Doctrine path: Several techs are shared between the paths, and if you switch to a path which includes a shared tech you have already researched you will start at that point in the new tree.

I'm assuming one of these replicated techs is the halftrack one which appears in the first three doctrines. For Superior firepower, as that tech apears after the first split, how would the game determine which side of the first split the player gets the bonuses from?

The concept looks just great, this game looks more and more promising...

I really like the possibility to swap doctrines, but shouldn't there be a timer between the time when you press the swap button and the effective change ? (e.g. it takes a few months after you decide to swap doctrines for the change to really take effect, and when it does you get an organization penalty (or you get the penalty at the start of the countdown)

Anyway I suppose that after thorough testing things will change a lot.

Wow this actually looks extremely cool. I love customization options in all kinds of games.

So a very big thumbs up from me :D

Rocket_Lawn_Chair.jpg

Can I use this as my profile pic on other websites?
It's just so silly, I love it.

Would be interesting if your selected unlocked doctrines could be applied by some, but not all of your generals. Would be even more interesting if they had the potential to learn them during combat. So for example you unlock Blitzkrieg, but not all your generals have the skill to actually apply it in combat. Possibly a step too far in complication though.

I really hope that doctrine progression is influenced in a major way by combat experience, individual doctrines for generals may be a bit far-fetched, but maybe the level of the general establishes the percent of the doctrine bonuses that apply to his troops (25/50/75/100/125/150 ?, etc.)

What I'm most interested in for this is:

Do you plan more changeable and moddable variables to differ all thoose doctrine and techs more than in HOI3 (old defensiveness, toughness, softness, air_defence, suppression, soft_attack, hard_attack, air_attack, ap_attack....and so on)?

Your cat gifs do not sway me, but real short: You can plan attacks which gives them a bonus when they are carried out, but has the risk of being discovered. Attacks with no planning time may even have a penalty, depending on how this feels.

Your cat gifs do not sway me, but real short: You can plan attacks which gives them a bonus when they are carried out, but has the risk of being discovered. Attacks with no planning time may even have a penalty, depending on how this feels.

Is their going to be a random name generator for operations, like this or this, so you can steal plans from the AI and it won't be called attack_plan_12432b?
You would only have to create the skeleton of such a system, and modders could add in all the culture specific words and styles.

Looks nice.

I like it much more than HoI3 where we could pick and choose with no disadvantages, which was less reallistic than HoI2 approach.

What will be in next DD? I would like Logistics Logistics Logistics :)

Dang. HoI3's doctrine system was much better than HoI2's, you should have just improved on it.

Not a fan of HOI3's tech system in general, and this includes the doctrines system -

1) It didn't actual model different doctrines - everyone just maxed out on the same techs.

2) It lacked any real flavour - you were just leveling-up on the same set of technologies when it became efficient to do so. At most you simply intervened occasionally to stop research in an area where you had got so far ahead that it was getting inefficent.

3) There was no element of choosing where to focus. There was nothing "situation-specific" about what you were doing. You would never say "well, I was on the attack before but now I'm on the defence so I'll research XXX instead of YYY".

EDIT: Although, HOI2's doctrines also had some problems -

1) Choosing, if you could choose, Blitzkrieg-type doctrines was simply a no-brainer.

2) There was never any real reason to focus on defensive doctrines - if you're a human player you'll focus on attacking. Even if strategically you are defending you'll use tactical offensives to weaken the enemy's attack.

3) Even if you RPed forwards using other techs, you were left with distinctive Blitzkrieg-envy and a desire to switch.

Last edited:
Reactions: