• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The AI is completely unsuited to dealing with adventurers. I had an AI Byzantium fend off a massive Jihad and a Cumanian blob only to lose to an adventurer who could muster more troops than any empire in the world. AI France almost formed Francia, but lost Aquitaine to a massive adventurer invasion. The entirety of the Karling alliance couldn't bring down the massive amount of troops the adventurer spawned.

I had a rather bad experience with an Adventurer the other day.

867 start, formed Volga Bulgaria, and I've taken a little bit of Rus and most of Perm. My total levy + retinue was maybe 8k troops. I had also just re-formed Suomenusko. Some independent count who I had just taken land off of is housing my future invader. This is a landlocked county completely surrounded by my own territories. The adventurer had a weak claim on Volga Bulgaria and went to town, as my years of plotting to assassinate him failed.

All of a sudden 25k troops spawn in the middle of my realm when he declares war (and right when my funds were fairly low as well). I was able to get through mostly through the AI's incompetence. I let him fan has stacks out a bit by letting him win a couple counties. Luckily for me, soon after I reformed Suomenusko the Holy Order appeared, and it just so happened the adventurer was Old Suomenusko. Combination of my troops and the holy order and baiting his stacks won the day (as well as Flat Terrain Masters), but it was absurdly lucky and gamey the whole time. The claimant even converted to the reformed faith during the war, but by then my numbers were superior and the holy order was unnecessary.

Point is, a guy from inside a landlocked region of my realm greatly outnumbered me, was allowed zero attrition, and did so with a weak claim. It was very frustrating to see.

The AI is completely unsuited to dealing with adventurers. I had an AI Byzantium fend off a massive Jihad and a Cumanian blob only to lose to an adventurer who could muster more troops than any empire in the world. AI France almost formed Francia, but lost Aquitaine to a massive adventurer invasion. The entirety of the Karling alliance couldn't bring down the massive amount of troops the adventurer spawned.

damn, those adventures sure spammed event 62321 a lot to do that!:eek:hmy:

Nonsense. A good ruler can out tactic the pathetic stack spllitting and carpet sieging that adventurers use. To give them fewer troops because some rulers don't plan for the possibility is insulting to the rest of us.
Decadence is much closer to a "win button".
except we sti need things to be balanced for the AI...

Since people like hard for hard's sake, I should make a mini-mod where any vassal who is plotting for one of their liege's titles gets 10k event troops per month.

Only a bunch of pansies can't beat that!

I had a rather bad experience with an Adventurer the other day.

867 start, formed Volga Bulgaria, and I've taken a little bit of Rus and most of Perm. My total levy + retinue was maybe 8k troops. I had also just re-formed Suomenusko. Some independent count who I had just taken land off of is housing my future invader. This is a landlocked county completely surrounded by my own territories. The adventurer had a weak claim on Volga Bulgaria and went to town, as my years of plotting to assassinate him failed.

All of a sudden 25k troops spawn in the middle of my realm when he declares war (and right when my funds were fairly low as well). I was able to get through mostly through the AI's incompetence. I let him fan has stacks out a bit by letting him win a couple counties. Luckily for me, soon after I reformed Suomenusko the Holy Order appeared, and it just so happened the adventurer was Old Suomenusko. Combination of my troops and the holy order and baiting his stacks won the day (as well as Flat Terrain Masters), but it was absurdly lucky and gamey the whole time. The claimant even converted to the reformed faith during the war, but by then my numbers were superior and the holy order was unnecessary.

Point is, a guy from inside a landlocked region of my realm greatly outnumbered me, was allowed zero attrition, and did so with a weak claim. It was very frustrating to see.

How is that gamey? That looks like good strategy in the face of a superior opponent to me. Yeah the adventurer troops could use a little tweaking but they should still be a serious threat, they do get 500g when they spawn. If they got an equal amount or lower number of troops as you can raise then they would just become a gold farm.

I personally find some nobody conquering kingdoms with 30,000+ troops quite ahistorical. I had to deal with near-constant adventurer revolts in a Brittany game and it was just maddening.

I personally find some nobody conquering kingdoms with 30,000+ troops quite ahistorical.
The Normans who conquered Sicily disagree with you.

I agree they should be a serious threat. The circumstances placed on me the player should have been insurmountable. It was only through the AI's incompetence that I lost. Perhaps if I had a powerful ally it wouldn't have been such a threat, and that was my mistake. But The troop numbers seem a bit high for adventurers at the moment.

I am OK with adventurers being a very serious threat and mustering a lot of troops, but I think that their spawning frequency should be scaled: the larger the kingdom/empire/whatever they are trying to claim, the lower their (or, more precisely, their event's) chance to spawn. This should feel more 'realistic' and be less game- and immersion-breaking.

There also seems to be something wrong with how often adventurers appear - within a decade at least 3 of my family members raised hilariously huge armies and invaded Byzantium. I assassinated the first one, the second one bugged out and came back to my court without a fuss, and the third one was captured by the Greeks. I ransomed him, excommunicated him, imprisoned and then banished him. Seem like the amount of money they have corresponds to the size of their host.:wacko:

I'm ok with adventurers being very powerful, but they should be much more rare, perhaps one every hundred years or even rarer to make the event be something epic :)

I'm ok with adventurers being very powerful, but they should be much more rare, perhaps one every hundred years or even rarer to make the event be something epic :)

This.

Perhaps they could be treated as Minor hordes? I know it doesn't represent the Norman conquest of Sicily very well, but that could be used to make the Norman culture available in the 867 start. Something that happens perhaps once or twice in the downtime between major hordes?

I've seen an adventurer go for England. Then when there was a faction revolt, another adventurer went for the faction revolt.

Both adventurers ended up winning.

And, in the end, both adventurers ended up fighting one another.

It was a rather strange. I think it may have been a glitch.

whats that a lvl20 spymaster?

a 50 gold cost to assassinate?

seems like pretty good odds
]
My own brother tried to aventure my ass in my India game :( 450 gold to kill with a 33% chance... I killed his ass, which is lucky because with 60 gold per month coming in it would have left things really late for a 2nd stab at it (pun intended)