• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zorro

Field Marshal
92 Badges
Mar 15, 2003
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Majesty 2
bnd9.jpg

Comrades the people have been victorious! The workers have overthrown the Czar and seized control for themselves, ushering in a new age of prosperity. While the vodka flows freely and the workers celebrate, we comrade must prepare. The great Soviet Union has been weakened by foreign powers and rebels for far too long. The army is drastically inferior, our territory is fractured, and our economy is amongst the poorest in Europe. We must be cautious in our goals, diplomacy will be essential if we are to out maneuver the great powers. Regardless of the short amount of time we have and weaken state of our nation, we will triumph!

Table of Contents

An Introduction
State of The Union
Taking Control
Progress, Comrades!
Gathering the Lost

Soviet Wraith Unleashed!
Red Tide to the East
The War to end all Wars
The Great War
Commissars and Allies

Forward Men, Forward!
The New Economy
Once more onto the Breach
Peace and War
The Bear and the Dragon

New Enemies
Five Year Plan, in Four Years!
Rising Sun and Tumbling Bear
Breathing Room
An Opportunity

Rising Bear and the Setting Sun

Last edited:
An Introduction

z94m.png

Comrades no doubt you are curious about the current state of the world, in the year 1894, and how it has greatly changed for the worst. Fortunately the great Soviet Union is now on the world stage to make things rights. It all began in Germany. It is the world’s greatest power, many call it a superpower. It is responsible for shaping our history.

The formation of the North German Federation

It began with Prussia which quietly and quickly unified the Northern German States into the North German Federation with itself as the head. Prussia’s move surprised the world, especially Austria, which couldn’t counter the move directly. Instead the European powers diplomatically isolated the NGF. France allied with Russia and Austria allied with the United Kingdom. This effectively shut the NGF out from any powerful alliances.

The Russian menace

The Germans approached the Russians about a secret alliance. The Russian ambassador politely declined the offer, not wanting to upset the French, the German delegates said their goodbyes and left the meeting. In Berlin they waited and plotted their revenge. It came during a crisis when Poland wanted independence. The NGF formed an alliance of nations and forced Russia to accept Poland’s freedom. Russia was weakened and the Germans gained a powerful new ally.

Uniting Germany

The NGF saw that the time was right to unify the southern German states. It mobilized and defeated the French and Russian armies. Through the peace the NGF claimed its “national territory.” With the peace treaty in effect the Russians and French would remain neutral when the NGF declared war on Austria. Without support Austria was quickly overwhelmed and Germany was formed.

The endless wars

Many in Europe foolishly believed there would be peace, they were of course wrong. France declared war on Germany multiple times dragging Russia along. Each time the French and Russians were devastatingly defeated. Forced to pay reparations, a shattered economy, a weakened army, it was all too much for the Russian people. This is when our glorious communist revolution rose up and set about our campaign to seize control of the state, which we did.

Breaking France

While we were busy fighting the Czar’s forces, Germany shifted to a new policy. It became extremely aggressive, wanting to stop the French attacks, for that matter any nation it considered a threat. Germany began a great war against France. The war was a success and Germany divided France between itself and its puppet Switzerland.

The Desolation of Austria

After the first French war, to retake Metz, Germany took Tirol and Bohemia from Austria. It was hoped this would neutralize Austria. For years Austria remained quiet. However, Austria entered an alliance with France and Russia. This was intolerable to Germany. Germany went to war with France, Russia, and Austria to end this alliance. Germany, with no allies, defeated the combined might of France, Austria, Russia, the Netherlands, and the Two Sicilies. The terms of peace were intentionally harsh; Hungary was to become its own nation.

Taking advantage of the situation, Poland declared war on Austria and successfully won its cores. Austria is currently overrun with nationalist seeking independence and is no longer a threat.

The Island

The United Kingdom had long been spared Germany’s wraith due to their alliance. That all changed over the small island of Heligoland. Germany wanted it and was willing to fight for it. Germany secretly built up a modern navy and used it to invade the UK mainland. After London was captured the UK surrendered. The Kingdom of Alaska used this chance to get limited independence and now controls most of Canada.

The Soviet Union

By this time our glorious communist revolution took control of the country. The Germans sent us an alliance offer, we wisely accepted.

The World

djcp.jpg

The Kingdom of Alaska formed and the USA has expanded at Mexico's expense. Cuba also achieved independence from Spain.

4l4j.jpg

Bolivia has expanded but otherwise South America was uneventful.

zgxf.jpg

Africa was divided between Spain, France, and the UK

a82i.jpg

Germany and its spherelings are the masters of Europe

ba8ic.jpg

Russia failed to expand into central Asia

9he8.jpg

Russia didn't expand into Manchuria. China is a great power but didn't unify its substates.

zw5u.jpg

Johore managed to survive thus far!

udbj.jpg

An independent New Zealand.

0amx.jpg

Bigger view of Europe. Poland, Hungary, and Switzerland are all sphered and allied with Germany. Austria has nearly been destroyed and France has been greatly weakened.

The Game

I had this idea for an AAR awhile back. It started with a game I was playing as Prussia in which I planned on being peaceful once Germany was united. That plan was thrown out the window by France's constant wars to gets its cores back. Annoyed I began wars of aggression to ensure Germany would never get declared war on again. Between Frances constant warring and wars I started Russia was overrun with rebels and had no army to stop them. This led to the Soviet Union forming, the first time I've had it happening in one of my games.

I saved and kept the file on hand, thinking it make for a good AAR one day. The bad part is it will make for a short AAR as the year is 1896. So it will most likely be a mini-AAR.

Not sure how much I can get done, I'd like to restore all lost lands and claim Russia's historical territory in Asia. This might be difficult due to the strength of Germany and it allies. We'll have to see how it goes :)

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Intrigued. Are you running a Red Russia from 1836 onwards?
Afraid not, starting at 1896.

This looks interesting, are you using any mods?
No mods

I shall be watching with interest.
Following. :)
This has the potential for greatness. Subbed!
Thanks for following, glad to have you guys onboard!

This look promising! Consider me in.:)

What hideous borders! My poor eyes! :p

Looks to be a very interesting AAR – however long it ends up being. I eagerly await your opening moves. :)

This look promising! Consider me in.:)
Thanks for following!

What hideous borders! My poor eyes! :p

Looks to be a very interesting AAR – however long it ends up being. I eagerly await your opening moves. :)
It caused me great pain when I had to create these borders :(.

The threat of super-Germany should make this interesting.
Germany will be a huge threat in the game, for sure.

WooHoo! Zorro's back. And with the red army at that :D Of course subbed.
Thank you!

A very interesting looking Europe, the human influence in clear in that the borders and not too inplausible :)

It would seem to me that the Soviet Union is in a fairly precarious position - with little historical expansion gained and an ahistorically powerful Germany in the west, and China in the east. Looking forward to this.

PS - get this link in your signature, I wouldn't have known about this if you hadn't mentioned it in your HoI AAR!