• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm certain that GP can drop status while being at war, it just happened today in my game. There may be a delay. Still since two players have reported such a problem of not dropping out of GP there may be something else, a common mod, a specific parameter ?

How does promotion/demotion among Great and Secondary Powers work anyway? Do you get demoted if you stay below place 8 for more than a year or do you get promoted if you stay above #9 for more than a year? If the latter, it could be that the wannabes just couldn't stay up long enough, even though the falling Great Power stayed below #8.

How does promotion/demotion among Great and Secondary Powers work anyway? Do you get demoted if you stay below place 8 for more than a year or do you get promoted if you stay above #9 for more than a year? If the latter, it could be that the wannabes just couldn't stay up long enough, even though the falling Great Power stayed below #8.

It´s the first one.

And i´m pretty sure that you can´t get demoted while being at war. I had occupied Austria for more then a year a few times (as Prussia), with them dropping at the 50th place or something, and they stayed a GP until the day i made peace.

I can confirm for sure that GP's can demote in war, I just don't know the exact parameters.

In a previous playthrough, I demoted Austria-Hungary as Germany (acquire state CB).

I tried in a second playthrough, but failed to get Austria to demote as NGF (assert hegemony CB).

In my most recent playthrough, I successfully had Austria demote as NGF (humiliate CB).

This is 3.03 HoD, no mods. The wiki states that GP's will not demote in crisis wars. I suspect that they will also not demote in assert hegemony wars. And if you think about, it kind of makes sense, as assert hegemony wars are all about spheres, and you only have spheres as a GP; while crisis wars only happen if you lead or join a side in a crisis, and you are only allowed to do that as a GP.

I can confirm for sure that GP's can demote in war, I just don't know the exact parameters.

In a previous playthrough, I demoted Austria-Hungary as Germany (acquire state CB).

I tried in a second playthrough, but failed to get Austria to demote as NGF (assert hegemony CB).

In my most recent playthrough, I successfully had Austria demote as NGF (humiliate CB).

This is 3.03 HoD, no mods. The wiki states that GP's will not demote in crisis wars. I suspect that they will also not demote in assert hegemony wars. And if you think about, it kind of makes sense, as assert hegemony wars are all about spheres, and you only have spheres as a GP; while crisis wars only happen if you lead or join a side in a crisis, and you are only allowed to do that as a GP.

I am also running 3.03 HoD I think only Crisis Wars prevent demotion. I was fighting Austria as Prussia with the Take from Sphere CB (Targeting Saxony) and I dropped them to #13 they dropped out of GP status and lost the ability to have a SoI and so I lost access to the war goal, thus "wasting" the infamy for generating it... Assert Hegemony is just a super Take from Sphere CB and I have lost access to that war goal when I have dropped Austria out of GP status before.