I just bought Master of the Arcane and I find the UI broken.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MaxWar

Recruit
28 Badges
Apr 4, 2014
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
I bought the complete edition with all DLC because I am a huge fan of 4x games.
I just tried the game for 10 min. And while it seems like it could be lots of fun.

The camera and scrolling controls seem.... BROKEN.

Basically all you can do is scroll from the edge of screen, or click somewhere on the mini map.

The edge scrolling is snail pace so mostly useless, and I cannot see any options to change it anywhere in the game.

All I am left to do is click on the mini map to move around quickly. You cannot even drag the window on the mini map, all you can do is click somewhere.

There is no Drag scrolling like in about every other similar game. Clicking/double clicking on a unit does not center camera on it.
Clicking on the units in the unit list does ( more or less ) center on them but they need to be out of the screen, If they are right on the edge it does not work.

To add on top of it, I need to disable shadows otherwise the screen flickers like crazy.

Please someone tell me that there is a Patch, mod or hidden setting to fix those things?

If you have it on Steam you already have the latest (and probably last, I imagine) patch.

I always use the arrow keys to move the map around. But you don't really need do that much; the game austomatically takes you from each unit that hasn't yet moved to the next one, and from each city you can build in to the next one. Certainly zoom out as far as possible with the mouse wheel.

Note: never use the "wide" option in the spell-casting screen, the one that shows it in 2 or 3 columns, that's bugged and causes flashing and suchlike. Also don't alt-tab out of the game for the same reason.

Aside from that I'd check with your GPU vendor, nVidia, AMD or Intel, for an updated driver.

Erm, I got the Steam version of Warlock: Master of the Arcane. I find that after a long period of time playing the game flickers and the UI vanishes. I have to ctrl-alt-del to shut down the game, after that it works fine for a while. I just thought it was my laptop (win 8.1) freaking out [shrug], maybe not.

Did you see my post above? The third para in particular?

I don't see an option to change the spell casting menu in the options screen. If you mean that I don't expand it to show more than one columns, no I don't do that, I didn't even realise it was there. Also my video drivers are up to date. Is there a short-cut to hide the UI that I don't know about? Like Alt+Z in WoW? Maybe I hitting that with out knowing it.

Apart from this weird problem, I'm loving the game ;)

Yes, the spell casting menu has >> down the bottom-right, which expands it to two columns. Don't use it.

That aside I have no explanation for what you are seeing. Have you tried it in Windowed mode? Are you sure your video drivers are up to date - I find you have to check on the GPU vendor's website, not via Steam or Windows Update or anywhere else.

Yes, the spell casting menu has >> down the bottom-right, which expands it to two columns. Don't use it.

That aside I have no explanation for what you are seeing. Have you tried it in Windowed mode? Are you sure your video drivers are up to date - I find you have to check on the GPU vendor's website, not via Steam or Windows Update or anywhere else.

Yes, my video divers are up to date and yes I'm still getting the issue. The UI only vanishes when I play the game for extended periods at a time, so I just save often. LoLz. I will mention that at the crash, my machine gets very very hot, this only ever happens with Warlock: Master of the Arcane. For WoW or Civ5 for example, it does not get even remotely warm.

For completeness sake, here is my laptop's details:

Game Version: 1.4.1.1 (Steam)

Operating system: Win 8.1 (64 bit)
Display: Touch Screen (10 points)
Ram: 16 GB (at the crash, there is only 21% of ram being used)
Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-4500U @ 1.80GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (Diver Version: 9.18.13.4052)

No, I haven't tried the windowed mode, I like the game full screen.

PS:
I forgot to mention, the UI vanishes completely, apart from the cursor. I can still move that around and select units and move them about a bit.

Last edited:
What kind of temperatures? If over about 80c (CPU or GPU) you need to look at your cooling.