• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(174159)

Still Alive
2 Badges
Oct 18, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
Wild Machines (An 'Ash, a Secret History' mod)
BY Kaisermuffin

hvg9isD.jpg

Setting:
What if, Jesus was a Roman Centurian who worshipped Mithras? The Visigoth attempt to invade the North African Vandal Kingdom succeeded? That the Pope hadn't been in office since the 10th Century, thanks to a Rabbinical Curse? That Men could perform Miracles? That the forces of Visigoth Carthage had a General who heard Voices that recited the Ars Tactica, the Strategikon and all the military manuals of the Ancient world to her at request? That she had Golems that could march 400 kilometers a day?

(more setting related reviews of the book(s))

The Plan:
Whilst the plot of the book is set in the time around 1477, this is too close to the game end-date.
So...
Adapted Old Gods start?
More details below I guess...

A little about me:
Hi, I'm Kaisermuffin, probably best known for my contributions to Darkest Hour (I'm working on an SF world conquest mod, did the German Union events for Kaiserreich, a number of other events and bugfixes and a couple of leftie-wank AARs). I also read books, including the one that this has inspired this mod. I remember asking about this back when I got CK I, even tried a kludge of editing in a German count to rule Tunis (so much destruction of unsuspecting AI arabs), though that wasn't really what I wanted. What I wanted was the full shebang of an alternate world :eek:.

W9QX9qr.png

Added:
New SubCulture 'Visigoth' (Iberian ( group renamed Hispanic)) (FAQ - But Visigoths are Swedes?!)
New SubCulture 'Suevi' (Hispanic)
New Religion 'Arian' (currently a Catholic Heresy - may be treated like a Pagan religion instead in the future dependant on flexibility/options)
Expanded Retinue Options for Visigoth culture.
Edited Job Titles.txt for 'Arian' (female spymasters and generals!)
Reworked Iberia/North African/South Italian province/history files to reflect Visigoth Culture/Arian Religion
Reworked Localisation of Provinces/Baronies/Counties/Duchies/Kingdoms in North Africa/Iberia (partial)
Added Imperium of Carthage
Added Lineage from Alaric I (370 AD) and Visigothic ruling dynasties
Added Suintila II+others to the bookmark

Edited:
Getting the mod to appear...- FIXED - Thanks to JourneyQuest!
Generic replace_paths - Thanks to richvh!

To Do:
Add Frankish Eugenics program events (steal Valyrian gfx? xD They got that blonde look in the books)
Sort out Suevi lineage
Sort out Carthage CoA
Fix dumb intrigue glitchvents
New event chains for the Visigoths, their neighbours, anyone who takes Tunis/Carthage...
New decisions for the Visigoths, expansion and development of Arian religion
Rework Catholicism
Miracle System?
Localisation (baronies/better names for Toledo and Badajoz?)
World Domination???

Current status:

Version 0.0.1.0(dropbox)

I'd like to emphasise this is barebones and probably shouldn't be considered working (yet!)

Last edited:
You could always edit the ending date in the defines.txt file under common. Then you can keep a 1477 start date and additionally it won't require old gods for a 867 start.
Sounds like a lot of work, but a very interesting scenario :)

You could always edit the ending date in the defines.txt file under common. Then you can keep a 1477 start date and additionally it won't require old gods for a 867 start.
Sounds like a lot of work, but a very interesting scenario :)

Well the Visigoth Carthage would have been extant from the late-migration period (essentially the point of divergence is in 444 when the Visigoth leader Theoderic I conducts an invasion hot on the heels of the Vandals after his daughter is mutilated by Huneric).

I'd be willing to help where I can

Great, do you have any specialities in modding?

Well the Visigoth Carthage would have been extant from the late-migration period (essentially the point of divergence is in 444 when the Visigoth leader Theoderic I conducts an invasion hot on the heels of the Vandals after his daughter is mutilated by Huneric).

Extant?
Anyway, you mention in your plan that the start date is old gods since 1477 is too close to the end date, so hence my post about making the end date later.

"Whilst the plot of the book is set in the time around 1477, this is too close to the game end-date.
So...
Adapted Old Gods start?
More details below I guess..."

I'm saying that by 1477, Visigoth Carthage would be past 1000 years of existance(!), we might as well play for the rest of them and just add a bookmark/edit the defines down the line!

Also, Bump - I've got a problem where the game CTD's when I use Rulerdesigner to select Visigoth culture or Arian religion. I've uploaded the latest version in the hope someone can help me with it - is there a settings option or something for debugging that'll let me tweak stuff there?

I'm saying that by 1477, Visigoth Carthage would be past 1000 years of existance(!), we might as well play for the rest of them and just add a bookmark/edit the defines down the line!

Also, Bump - I've got a problem where the game CTD's when I use Rulerdesigner to select Visigoth culture or Arian religion. I've uploaded the latest version in the hope someone can help me with it - is there a settings option or something for debugging that'll let me tweak stuff there?

Have you tried the validator?
That tool really works miracles.

Edit: For invalid code, not badly setup inefficient code of course ^_^

I am literally walking into this pretty much blind. I doubt there should be any major issues with coding however, I'm not afraid of notepad++... ;)
(playing around seems to be working - I think the error with Arianism was I'd given it the muslim charity mission which the game was not pleased about since it is classed as a christian heresy atm.)

Ok, weird ass bug now, it loads but I cannot run plots/appoint jobs/etcetcetc. :/
Also game CTD's if you load as Aghlabid Emirate.

Downloaded the Validator, put the path of the game file and the path of the mod in, but it says
Code:
Mod not found: C:\Users\User\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\
Mods in system: 
Could not load mod file: C:\Users\User\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\Wild Machines.mod [Token "II\common\cultures" at line 5, column 70 must be an equals sign.]

And I tried it from \mod and \wild machines too, same readout.

Last edited:
I am literally walking into this pretty much blind. I doubt there should be any major issues with coding however, I'm not afraid of notepad++... ;)
(playing around seems to be working - I think the error with Arianism was I'd given it the muslim charity mission which the game was not pleased about since it is classed as a christian heresy atm.)

Ok, weird ass bug now, it loads but I cannot run plots/appoint jobs/etcetcetc. :/
Also game CTD's if you load as Aghlabid Emirate.

Downloaded the Validator, put the path of the game file and the path of the mod in, but it says
Code:
Mod not found: C:\Users\User\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\
Mods in system: 
Could not load mod file: C:\Users\User\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\Wild Machines.mod [Token "II\common\cultures" at line 5, column 70 must be an equals sign.]

And I tried it from \mod and \wild machines too, same readout.

If I read it correctly your .mod file is broken, not misplaced.

Which is weird IMO, since this is what my mod file is
Code:
name = "Wild Machines"
path = "mod/Wild Machines"
user_dir = "Wild Machines"

replace_path = F:\Simons\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II\common\cultures
replace_path = F:\Simons\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II\common\dynasties
replace_path = F:\Simons\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II\common\religions
replace_path = F:\Simons\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II\common\retinue_subunits
replace_path = F:\Simons\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II\history\provinces
replace_path = F:\Simons\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II\history\wars
replace_path = F:\Simons\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II\localisation

Btw, is there any easy way to make that string generic? (I.E. the user can just insert the file and it'll find '\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II' )

Last edited:
I modded the Visigoths as Iberian since they've been on the peninsula for 400 years by game start and have the majority of their territory on the peninsula as opposed to in North Africa. Also their culture is portrayed as syncretic in the books - their names are drawn from latin and germanic sources, and I'm trying to represent subtle arabisation of their culture too (eg, Marshal title is Faris). Historically it wouldn't be so surprising - Andalusian Arabic persons were primarily Hispano-Visigoth converts for example.

I modded the Visigoths as Iberian since they've been on the peninsula for 400 years by game start and have the majority of their territory on the peninsula as opposed to in North Africa. Also their culture is portrayed as syncretic in the books - their names are drawn from latin and germanic sources, and I'm trying to represent subtle arabisation of their culture too (eg, Marshal title is Faris). Historically it wouldn't be so surprising - Andalusian Arabic persons were primarily Hispano-Visigoth converts for example.

Ah I see. So by this time they adopted some local customs? Like more of a melting pot sort of thing? Well that does make sense. Swedes adopted Russian culture after taking land in Eastern Europe and Rollo's band became the Normans after adopting Frankish customs. It only makes sense that in this time it was no different. I wasn't certain exactly how long they had been in that region by this time.

The historical record is from the late 390's onward, with my PoD giving them Carthage and North Africa, they also have the Libyan desert (on and off) from 444. They manage to beat back the Byzantines, so no exarchate of Africa/Carthage and after Belisarius is returned to Constantinople in shame no further attempts at retaking Africa. Similarly, the Muslim invasion of the 7th C fails to convince/convert the Berbers since the Visigoths essentially insulate them from contact.

Last edited:
Which is weird IMO, since this is what my mod file is
Code:
name = "Wild Machines"
path = "mod/Wild Machines"
user_dir = "Wild Machines"

replace_path = F:\Simons\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II\common\cultures
replace_path = F:\Simons\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II\common\dynasties
replace_path = F:\Simons\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II\common\religions
replace_path = F:\Simons\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II\common\retinue_subunits
replace_path = F:\Simons\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II\history\provinces
replace_path = F:\Simons\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II\history\wars
replace_path = F:\Simons\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II\localisation

Btw, is there any easy way to make that string generic? (I.E. the user can just insert the file and it'll find '\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II' )

The replace_path lines should be relative paths, not absolute, like this:
replace_path = "common/cultures"

The historical record is from the late 390's onward, with my PoD giving them Carthage and North Africa, they also have the Libyan desert (on and off) from 444. They manage to beat back the Byzantines, so no exarchate of Africa/Carthage and after Belisarius is returned to Constantinople in shame no further attempts at retaking Africa. Similarly, the Muslim invasion of the 7th C fails to convince/convert the Berbers since the Visigoths essentially insulate them from contact.

Sounds very interesting! I will have to give this mod a try!

Thanks Richvh, that's been corrected.

Sounds very interesting! I will have to give this mod a try!

If you have any thoughts or input on the religion front I'd love to hear from you, Svo. I am wondering if giving the Arian's female marshals and so on is somehow causing the diplomacy issue.

Also does anyone have a guide or advice for creating characters/realigning politically?

My thoughts for the state of play with the Old Gods bookmark are currently as follows: I was thinking a de jure empire, which has been fractured at the borders and has independant dukes in Libya, Siciliy, Balearics and Iberian borders, with a core empire of Iberia and North Africa. Maybe Sicily and Malta as Counties, with Byzzies trying to regain them.

I also need to figure out a way to model a no-pope scenario + event chain to occur around 1010...