• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
He got a boat, AND a 'cake'. They sure didn't spare any expenses for his birthday.

Hooray!

Now, Bolivia must USE its ship...

...because a weapon unused, is a useless weapon.

Great things start from small beginnings. I think I am going to enjoy this AAR :)

A Bolivian Luau

images

While the official battle uniform of the Naval Infantry was relatively elaborate, in practice many infantrymen were poorly equipped.

December 2, 1839; Naval Headquarters at Antofagasta, Bolivia

"Excellent, excellent, everything is finally coming together!" You beam as you watch your newly formed Naval Infantry, numbering approximately five thousand conscripts, parade through the streets. The men are unaccustomed to military bearing and often bump into one another, but you can afford to be patient.

"Lieutenant, come here. Tell me, what do you see marching before you?"

Your loyal assistant grimaces as several infantrymen collide into one another and collapse--somewhat comically--into a nearby pile of manure. "Sir, may I be frank with you? I see nothing more than a few thousand undisciplined teenagers masquerading as sailors. Why, if I may be so bold as to ask, do we need our own Marine Corps when we have only two ships?"

You laugh patronizingly "My dear Lieutenant, why only last month we had no ships at all! These proud sailors you see before you will soon constitute a rapid response force that will allow us to quickly seize enemy assets from the sea. They may not be quite ready yet, but I have hired seasoned NCOs from the English Royal Marines to help train them! So again Lieutenant, have faith in--"

You are interrupted by a loud bang. A group of Naval infantrymen somehow managed to fire a cannonball into a nearby barn, killing several farm animals and drawing the ire of the farmer's wife. Bemused, your assistant retorts:

"God help the Anglos if this is what their 'seasoned NCOs' will have to deal with!"

"A minor hiccup. In any case, we have business to attend to. Naval Intelligence will be arriving shortly for a briefing."

"But sir, I thought we didn't have an actual Naval Intelligence branch?"

As you and your assistant are speaking, a mysterious Arab-looking man suddenly appears--seemingly out of nowhere.

"How may I be of assistance, Admiral?"

th

Mysterious Arab man

"Ah yes, the Lieutenant and I were just talking about you. Lieutenant, this is our new Naval Intelligence Chief, Pablo el Musulmán. He is from....I believe Morocco? Algeria?"

Pablo smiles pleasantly "Something like that, my Admiral."

"Anyway" you continue "Pablo has a great deal of experience with Naval affairs from his time in his country's navy, and he has a plan that will restore glory to the Navy and finally give us the advantage over Pertinente and his Army thugs. Now as you know, we have for a long time been interested in colonizing the Sandwich Islands. This would not only establish Bolivia as an imperial power, but also make our Navy's relevance very clear to El Presidente."

"Unfortunately my Admiral" begins Pablo "Naval Intelligence has established that there definitely are natives already residing on the islands. We will need a valid, internationally recognized excuse to invade and that is where my plan comes in. Listen closely gentlemen...."

th

Several weeks later, on board the Bolivian naval vessel BAB Bolivia en route to Hawaii

The entire Bolivian Navy (consisting of two transport vessels, a few hundred regular sailors and about five thousand Naval infantrymen) is sailing towards Hawaii. Having spent your childhood in Bolivia's boring mountain provinces, you marvel at the endless blue carpet stretching before your eyes. If only every Bolivian could witness a sight so beautiful, you think. You begin to daydream about the mermaids you had always been told danced deep below the surface, upon the seabed. Not being a man of superstition, you had always dismissed the rumors; but as the majestic beauty of the ocean, in all her glory, stretches before you, you begin to wonder: If this is merely the surface, what unimaginable beauty must lie beneath the waves?

Sadly, your brief moment of artistic contemplation is brought to an end by your assistant:

"Sir, I have bad news. Unfortunately, our attempt to justify our war with the Sandwich Islands has backfired!"

"What!? How could this have happened? The plan was very straightforward, our spies were to dress as native warriors and harass Bolivian merchants, thus creating the perfect casus belli!"

"Well Admiral, when our men landed on the islands and attempted to impersonate native warriors, it seems they were detected immediately. Not to mention that we conduct very little trade with the Sandwich Islands and that there were, therefore, no Bolivian merchants to harass."

"I still don't understand how they detected our men."

"Well sir, you did insist on hiring German immigrants as spies."

"Because they're sneaky! Haven't you ever heard of the surprise anschluss? Anyway it doesn't matter, we've come this far; we may as well finish the job."

GrassSkirts.png

German-Bolivian spies attempting to impersonate Hawaiian warriors

June 13, 1840; Port Diminuto, Bolivian Hawaii

After landing and easily defeating the insubstantial Hawaiian armies, your men celebrate in the streets of the newly-renamed Hawaiian capital as you give a speech:

"Sailors! Due to your valiant efforts, we have crushed the native army and we are now in control of most of the island. We have suffered only sixty casualties while they have lost thousands! I am proud of you, your officers are all proud of you, and your country will never cease to be proud of you! Our friends and fellow patriotic Bolivians in the Army have long cast aspersions upon us. They sneer and say that we are not true Bolivians, that we do not fight for our country as they do, that we have no honor. Now, sailors, now they have their answer! ¡Viva la marina! ¡Viva Bolivia!"

As your sailors cheer, your assistant approaches with a grim look on his face.

"Sir, I have very distressing news for you: the United States of North America has declared war! They are demanding that we withdraw from the Sandwich Islands immediately!"

"You can't be serious?"

"I'm afraid that's not all. El Presidente has ordered that you return to Bolivia as soon as possible to justify this invasion--sir, the Army is claiming that the war with the United States is entirely our fault! General Pertinente has proposed that you be tried for treason!"

You begin to shake in anger. "Very well. We will deal with the Army, and then we will deal with the North Americans. But first Lieutenant, hand me my sword. There are many rebellious natives on these islands who need quelling--and I suddenly feel very inclined to hit something."

*I apologize for the Polandball reference. :p

Nice update. I think the German "spies" did stand out somewhat according to that photo though - LOL

Good luck in the war against USA

Probably invaded because of your post count. Quick, post again so they withdraw!

Glad to see you haven't abandoned this.

Phew now I'm no longer owned by the devil. Praise be. (667th post)

Anyway, please post if you have any comments! Your posts fill my heart with joy. :)

Phew now I'm no longer owned by the devil. Praise be. (667th post)

Anyway, please post if you have any comments! Your posts fill my heart with joy. :)

Bah, you should have had one of us post for you. That way, you could continue to be owned by the devil.

Bah, you should have had one of us post for you. That way, you could continue to be owned by the devil.

Only if you don't accept the '616' variant. To be fair, it's not very popular.

Anyways, I wanted to pop in and say that I always like seeing AARs experiment with format, and what better way to do that than to focus on the navy of a country that became landlocked a few decades after the start date of Victoria 2? I wish you the best of luck in avoiding that fate.

It's not dead per se, it's on hold until I have more time. Sorry guys. :(

OK, good to know, thanks for the info. Will look forward to when you have more time :)

An Interview with General Pertinente

464518_gd.jpg

El Diario is Bolivia's oldest newspaper. While in our universe it wasn't founded until 1904, in this timeline the Army founded it in 1839 to counter what it termed "dangerous Navy propaganda."

June 15, 1840; El Diario Headquarters in Sucre

The following is a transcript of the interview of Army Chief Gen. Pertinente:

El Diario: Thank you very much, General, for taking time out of your busy schedule to agree to speak to us today.

General Pertinente: You are welcome.

ED: Now General, first of all we have to commend you for your tremendously valiant efforts in defending us from the Argentine invasion! Rumor has it that you personally strangled 25 enemy soldiers to death with your bare hands at Tarija! Is there any truth to the rumor?

GP: *laughs* It was indeed a good day. As for the rumors, I will say only this: for people who eat meat so frequently, the Argentines certainly had surprisingly brittle necks.

ED: Well, I'm sure our readers will be happy enough with that statement! To turn to a more pressing issue, we learned recently that the United States of North America has declared war on us. General, what measures is the Army taking to secure Bolivia from this new threat?

GP: That information, I'm sorry to say, is classified. It is not that I do not trust you, but what the Bolivian people need to understand is that there are enemies within our midst. There are people in this country who wave our flag, sing our songs, and speak our tongue but do not have our best interests at heart. I can assure you that they will not hesitate to deliver any information I give this paper directly to the enemy.

ED: Of course, General. I apologize for asking.

GP: And, in fact, let me ask you a question. And this is something the Bolivian people need to understand. Do you understand why we are at war with the United States, a nation thousands of miles away from Bolivia? Well, certain elements of the Bolivian military have--in the face of all logic and reason, in the face of clear evidence that not only Argentina, but Chile, Brazil, and even Peru seek to stab us in the back...they still say, let us not worry about our neighbors who want to kill us. Rather, we should pick fights with great powers. I am speaking, of course, of the Navy. They have constructed a few rotten fishing boats--I might add, with money that would be far better used defending against a Brazilian invasion--and now they think they are invincible. What a mockery!

ED: Indeed, it is very clear that Admiral Diminuto is exceedingly stupid--

GP: No, I am afraid it is worse than that. Stupidity is excusable, and what we expect from the Navy--an organization that, as I have made very clear, is little more than a strain on national resources at best. This goes further than that. No one would be so stupid as to attempt to invade some useless islands thousands of miles away, knowing full well that those islands were protected by a great power. No, this is far more than mere stupidity. This is treason. Is it not treason to not only divert needed resources but incite war with great powers at a time of national crisis, at a time when tensions with our neighbors have never been higher? Make no mistake, the North Americans are the least of our problems--if Diminuto gets his way, we will soon find ourselves at war not only with the United States, but also with Britain and France. And then, the Argentines--who we sacrificed so much to repel, the Brazilians, and the Chileans will fall upon us like the rabid dogs they are. I do not know why the Navy is doing this, but it seems to me likely that they are very much controlled by subversive elements hostile to our nation.

ED: That is quite a revelation, General. The Bolivian people thank you for your service to this country. What should the Bolivian people do to counter these internal enemies?

GP: What I would say to the people is, do not trust the Navy. Bolivia is inherently a land power, and the Navy--jealous of the importance of the Army--seeks to destroy Bolivia. I would encourage the Bolivian people to take whatever action against these traitors that they feel is necessary. I myself will be informing our glorious President of the full extent of the Navy's treachery. No more questions.