• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Secondat II

Private
6 Badges
Jul 13, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
I've played quite a few campaigns in the last few months trying to 'master' the game mechanics to the point were there would be no secrets left from me.

What's been bugging me is how the Ottoman and Austrian empires never seem to collapse. In my Sweden campaign I was able to 'free people' in South Serbia and Montenegro; isolated Bosnia and Cyprus rebelled on their own. By the time France and Russia allied with them, the Ottomans were still very much an Empire (now a secondary power).

I've seen people do it so what's the secret? Should I occupy the whole country for 100% warscore?

Thanks in advance.

I've played quite a few campaigns in the last few months trying to 'master' the game mechanics to the point were there would be no secrets left from me.

What's been bugging me is how the Ottoman and Austrian empires never seem to collapse. In my Sweden campaign I was able to 'free people' in South Serbia and Montenegro; isolated Bosnia and Cyprus rebelled on their own. By the time France and Russia allied with them, the Ottomans were still very much an Empire (now a secondary power).

I've seen people do it so what's the secret? Should I occupy the whole country for 100% warscore?

Thanks in advance.

There is a new CB in PoD which does exactly what you're wanting: dismantle empire. If you want to achieve this in vanilla, you can occupy their entire country for a while, and ramp up their war exhaustion, and try to keep their troops suppressed in order to further rebellion and revolution. Otherwise, using the free country CB can get good results.

It's the Liberate Country CB you want. That will make them cough up all the core states of a particular country. Free People will make them give up a single state, so is only really useful if they're holding part of someone else's territory.

Dismantling an empire is a long-term process. The Ottoman empire survived for a long time precisely because they had powerful backers who didn't want to see nations getting spun off to go into someone else's sphere of influence.

The "dismantle empire" CB is also available as a separate mod.
It's the only way to simulate the great dismantling of 1918. The ottomans sometimes lose a few territories there and there and Austria usually stays as it is...
The Free country CB is too infamy expensive to be effective unless you keep focussing on it.

Crisis should help you but they're hard to predict. Still if you have a strong army and are willing to commit a lot of troops you should be able to enforce all the crisis-decisions you wish, without infamy. It should work for the balkans, central europe, but I've never seen a crisis for Iraq so the Ottomans would retain their eastern possessions.

Yeah, the Pop Demand Mod dismantling CB is pretty great - colonies are split between the GP victors while the mainland is broken up unless it's part of the union country or something like that (ex. mainland Germany, France), the prestige hit to the loser side is so huge that it alone brings the GP back to the bottom of the list (of GPs, ofcourse, since they usually still have a decent industry/military, but it's still hurt as the cut down to size side effects apply).

If you are in a Great War, you should be going for 100% war score against everyone on the opposing side anyway.

In a Great War, assuming you plan it well, you should be able to liberate several parts of the Balkans from the Ottomans.

What makes it harder is that the AI will just add the strangest war goals, making it harder to recreate WWI results. Sure, you can demand a break up of portions of the Ottoman Empire or Austria, but if Britain and France add 10 "dismantle constructions" and "humiliate" war goals, there's nothing you can really do about it.

It'd be nice if there was some way to work with your allies to restructure the post-war world together. "Hey guys, let's all focus our war goals on Austria and the Ottomans and dismantle them permanently."

Instead, it's "Hey guys, I just demanded that the Ottomans dismantle their constructions in Macedonia, a place none of us care about because they don't have a real navy or high army techs. Isn't that so exciting?!?!?!"

"Yes, France, I'm sure that you feel better for having done that. Why don't you go humiliate Switzerland again and let the grownups dictate terms to the Central Powers."