• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

xyzt44

First Lieutenant
117 Badges
Oct 3, 2007
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • March of the Eagles
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
I was trying last night with the nestorian holding in socotra. There are no fleet levies. How do you get off? I mean, marrying is hard if everyone thinks you're an infidel.

You wait 200 years until your buildings are sufficiently upgraded to have fleets, and boat mercenaries are available, and then attack and lose because you have one county and you're surrounded by huge hostile kingdoms.

Get Shipbuilding Tech 1 and build a Castle Shipyard.

Wasn't there supposed to be an decision to conscript fleets from your merchants or something?

To allow for limited seafaring (at a cost) until proper fleets were researched and implemented in your infrastructure.

Wasn't there supposed to be an decision to conscript fleets from your merchants or something?

To allow for limited seafaring (at a cost) until proper fleets were researched and implemented in your infrastructure.

I think you need provinces separated by water for that
One island wont cut it, just going off the description text.

If you manage to inherit something overseas you can press merchant ships into service for 50 gold so long as you're at war. If you stick improve military tech on Socotra it'd also speed up boat production, and once you have the tech, turn on train troops. If you're fast enough you can get a foothold in Oman, and from then on go further to India or wherever you wish to be. I would agree however that they should have shipbuilding level 1 immediately.

I used my spymaster to study technology somewhere, I think the Abbasid capital. Then researched Shipbuilding and built a Shipyard. Then I used the Holy Order to Holy War some country in the Somali peninsula. Before that though I was attacked by Muslims, which I used mercs and the Holy Order to defend against. I expelled Jews to get the money to hire the mercs, but the mercs ended up being unneeded so I think this is entirely possible to do without mercs and expelling Jews.

Last edited:
Before researching shipbuilding i granted independence for my baronies and then county claim it so i get both the city and temple also useful to get all the boats then it was getting a loan from the jewish and expel them.
The funds were used for the militia buildings and a wall, to make sure we have atleast 700+ men, early holy wars don't have that many boats, then the second part is to pray that medina doesn't take the 2 duchies and make a kingdom since he was the only one in my games that declares holy wars. So after your long war of waiting till 100% score from still holding it, those funds were used to build shipyards, invaded a rebelling sheik got a foothold etc etc.

In my opinion being able to withstand the first holy war you get and be lucky that he isn't able to form the kingdom of Arabia are two of your main objectives early game, even the Caliph doesn't bother to attack while he's my neighbour

C9B7PDM.jpg

My realm isn't fancy but being Socotra isn't impossible, Side note my nephew became emperor of the ERE, making them nestorian xD

I think the modern population of Socotra is less than 10,000, and in those times probably even less. Not a lot of resources to start an empire.

42,842 as of 2004

I'm trying to go for the St Thomas's Dream achievement, and Socotra seemed like one of the only methods, as well as a more fun one. I fabricated a claim on Kutch and had more men only to find out that I didn't have boats. I got my Shipbuilding Tech to 1 and built a shipyard to give me six galleys. I could ptentially raise them the game said, but I couldn't actually press the button. I went into the game thinking the Conscript Merchant Ship option owuld be there, but again, no. Any ideas?

I'm trying to go for the St Thomas's Dream achievement, and Socotra seemed like one of the only methods, as well as a more fun one. I fabricated a claim on Kutch and had more men only to find out that I didn't have boats. I got my Shipbuilding Tech to 1 and built a shipyard to give me six galleys. I could ptentially raise them the game said, but I couldn't actually press the button. I went into the game thinking the Conscript Merchant Ship option owuld be there, but again, no. Any ideas?

Have the ships spawned already? After you have built your shipyard, it takes a long while for the ships to spawn into your carrison.

Using an easier nation and then converting religion is the more usual method of getting many of those achievements (if you have the patience)

And as poster above said, once the shipyard is built, it sometimes takes some time for the boats to be built (and note, building is stalled if they are raised)

If you play as the tribe of Gotland in the 769 start, not only can you not get off the Island, but you also getting a strong prestige penalty for being at peace too long and occasionally get an event about warriors leaving to fight for someone else.... which brings about the question of how they're leaving if there are no boats, and if there are boats then why they can't be used...

You have to literally sit there and wait making no money and leaking prestige til the Viking age starts.