• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(229589)

Second Lieutenant
1 Badges
Oct 3, 2010
  • Arsenal of Democracy
Here 'tis. (V4)

http://www.gamefront.com/files/24156280/Vermin69_s_Japanese_Mod_v4_for_CORE_for_Aod_0_62_rar

I'm a bit rusty so let me know if the link doesn't work.

Notes:
Designed to be played as Human Japanese.
Will have no effect when JAP is AI. (This could be amended so it would be optional instead)
Should place you in a better position to really give the Allies (or Comintern) a run for their money.
Events range from the wildly speculative to the almost completely historical.

For game purposes a good relationship is 50+.

Whether the options are actually value for money/resources/supplies is not clear - either individually or cumulatively. I put the events in to give a wider range of game options and keep Japan more or less up to date until the balloon goes up. After that you are pretty much on your own (though there are a couple of later events).

I have fetish for old warships and it shows :) (don't tell Teg but if I could find any basis to resurrect the Austro-Hungarian dreadnoughts I would do a special mod just for them!).

All the events are at the end of the events files - except 3 which are noted in the index part of the file.

Seems to work - but I have reservations about the random seed. I suggest saving often and quitting to the desktop and loading from your save every half hour - just my personal view!

Major sources were:
For historical info, take a look at the advertisements section of any edition of Jane's fighting ships published in the 30s.
For idea of tech transfers see this link: http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/blockade_running_subs.htm
Aircraft: Rene J. Francillon's Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War,
Naval: various editions of Conways, Campbell's Naval Weapons of WWII and Friedman's Firepower, (on naval surface fire control.)

Have fun - and take as many down with you as possible!

Vermin

Last edited:
Well i guess i can atlest take a look(play). Dont have as much time for AoD as i used to have. ill prop get to playing more during the weekend or next week.

*edit
Oh and you have a small typo in you folder structure in the .rar file

Aresnal of Democracy
Arsenal of Democracy

unzipping the files from 1 path inside the archive to insde the AoD forlder works normaly. ie. if you dont get a question about replasing files you dint unpack them correctly. not sure if anyone needs this simple info but put it still.

Last edited:
I played iot for few hours now and there it look good, except the unit names that you get from them ;).

Personaly i do think that the names are not fully in sync whit the rest of the jap units ;).
Althou i do not know how to change the names when creating the units.

Id recomend something like this:" 1. Cheko no Sensha "<- First Czech tank or so? and same for the Swedish(Suu~ēden no) tanks
For the destroyers something like: "Dai 1 Itaria no Kuchikusentai " ?Oranda no? for netherlands?

The translations are from google translate so may or may not be accurate.

Itaria = Italy
Itaria no = Italian

Ah also a "bug" report is possible to "gain" bp for 38 patrol bomber before you have access to it (the tech is red, and needs to be grey) meyby add need 37 electrocis to the discovery? or change the timer for bit longer?

Why would the Japanese name their divisions for the country of origin of the equipment?

They would just give them the usual division names IMHO.

@ Zsumi:
I will look at the 38PB issue: I also coded the non-aggression pacts now so the console commands are no longer necessary. I will update the OP when I've uploaded the new files.
for some reason I thought google translate would only give an output in Japanese characters - live and learn.
@ Teg
You are right - the Br20s for example were used by the 3d Dokuritsu Hikōchūtai, 12th Hikōsentai and 98th Hikōsentai.
However I like to have some way of telling which units originally had a special origin. :)
I will play with google translate!
Regards
Vermin

Off the top of my head, all the aircraft events (and I could have added a couple more) were historical. Some were slightly "stretched" - like the He100D - The jigs and tools were bought but could not be delivered due to the war in Europe (although they could have been shipped from a Spanish port).
The Bofors and Siemens-Hazeymeyer events were genuine options and Japan made significant use of (IIRC Barr & Stroud Fire control equipment). Their 25mm AA was Hotchkiss with some Le Pieur computing sights.
The Naval construction was merely 'possible'. The Dutch and Italians particularly (offering 70% construction guarrantees) were offering very competitive rates. In WWI the Japanese produced destroyers (to a Japanese design) for the French and hadd earlier made good use of foreign naval yards - usually British. Because the Japanese were so secretive, it was unlikely they would have had any overseas ships built to a Japanese design - certainly they could not have been completed with their new torpedoes and I doubt given the size of the installations and associated oxygen plant and reloading equipment that they would have been completed "for but not with".
The tank purchases were merely possible - the Japanese tanks were quite good at this time. They represent what the Japanesee 'could' have done to to keep abreast of European tank technology and to develop indigenous mechanised doctrine.
The wartime tech transfer is true - the prewar transfers quite possible but I lack information.
Regards
Vermin
The

Tegetthoff how do set the names for the units that are spawned from events? Or set them to take thir name from the .csv file? And yes, unit takeing its name from the list is prop best.

Edited OP and uploaded corrected version which does not require use of console.
I haven't played with a csv file so any pointers would be appreciated.
Also - Can I add to event photos - and if so - what format must they be in?
Regards
Vermin

CORE very frequently uses Units that are predefined as dormant in the .inc files and then activates them. Look at ship events or the SS events for examples.

These Units have strength 1 while dormant and are upped to their full strength on activation.

A classical example for the other method can be taken from the JAP Indochina Events:

command = { type = add_corps which = " Rach Gia Defence" value = land when = 0 where = 1338 }
command = { type = add_division which = "1st Indochina Garrison" value = garrison when = 1 where = police }
command = { type = construct which = air_base where = 1338 value = 1 }
command = { type = add_corps which = "Hanoi Defence" value = land when = 0 where = 1328 }
command = { type = add_division which = "2nd Indochina Garrison" value = militia when = 11 where = artillery }
command = { type = add_division which = "3rd Indochina Garrison" value = militia when = 11 where = police }
command = { type = construct which = air_base where = 1326 value = 1 }
command = { type = construct which = naval_base where = 1326 value = 1 }
command = { type = add_corps which = "Nah Trang Defence" value = land when = 0 where = 1335 }
command = { type = add_division which = "4th Indochina Garrison" value = garrison when = 1 where = police }
command = { type = construct which = air_base where = 1335 value = 1 }
command = { type = manpowerpool value = -10 } # half cost - assumes use of ex-French troops & equipment
command = { type = supplies value = -1000 } # Includes cost for bases

Sure you can add event photos, as long as you don't overwrite existing event imagery... They need to be in BMP format. I have a template I use for them, I could easily mail you it, if you PM me your email address. Doing them isn't too hard, but it does require some basic skill with a tool like Photoshop, to create the shadow effect for one, however.

Hi Teg,
I usually use dormant units.
If I understand correctly the created units always have latest model Div and Brigade.
When that is okay I should use the add_division command more often as it saves a lot of work.
Hagar, I have sent you a pm.
I've really been looking forward to adding some more relevant event pics.
Regards
Vermin

Yes, when you want to model very specific units, dormant is better.
But for standard tasks, add_division is fine.

The Original AoD ones, you mean? not that I know of... Besides, the imagery most likely is pretty old, so most of them are in the Public Domain anyway. And as your mod isn't a commercial product it's even more unlikely to be an issue.

Just a general question - what are the chances of integrating a mod such as this (or at least parts of it), into the core of CORE? Assuming the author gives his permission, of course.

It's just that I've played with the idea of doing a mod myself, and I'd be more likely to go ahead if I thought there was a reasonable chance of it ending up being integrated into CORE, rather than it staying as a mod of a mod. Again assuming that it ended up being worthwhile, people liked it, etc., etc.

Code that is developed within the framework of the basic CORE philosophy - historicity and accuracy - may well be included in the main mod. A mod that is developed to be played with only a single country (either making this country harder or easier) would not fit into the philosophy. So it is quite fine to post such code as separate modmods.

That makes sense. My own mod, if it happens, would be a global thing, basically adding more events for all majors (and maybe some minors), although I might start off with just one or two.

Having said that, if you integrated lots of country-specific sub-mods, wouldn't it all end up being balanced again? ;)