• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

utelektr

Private
10 Badges
Jan 3, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Lead and Gold
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Surviving Mars
I got a new computer recently and wanted to play some EU3. But, the highest speed is absurdly fast, to the point where I can't play it. And the speed below that is a bit too slow for my taste. Is there any way to reduce the fastest speed to something more reasonable?

Try right clicking the process in the task manager and set the CPU priority to low, or just run a hefty amount of CPU intensive programs in the background while playing.

To clarify: the game speeds are hardcoded so there's no way to change them by editing the text files like you can with most other things. The speed depends on your hardware.

As pointed out: Hardcoded, little you can do to the game itself.

You could just switch to lower speeds during high activity and switch to high speeds when things are simple. Method I use. Only possible negative is having to adjust to constant speeds in multiplayer but then any other solution would impose this cost. :)

...You could just switch to lower speeds during high activity and switch to high speeds when things are simple. Method I use...

Exactly what I do too. Slower speeds for me is if I am in a war where you need to keep an eye on enemy movements across different fronts, otherwise I play medium speed in an "easy" war, or high speed at most other times.

One way is to grab a mod. Most significant ones decrease speed somewhat unless they knock the number of nations down massively. Depending on your opinion of the vanilla gameplay, it can be a rather strong improvement.

I just pause the game when I need to, (it's a strategy game after all).

And then just run the quickest speed when I'm not pausing.