• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Xarxos

Captain
58 Badges
Feb 1, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
Usually it says provinces get supplies from nearby cities. If you cut them off from one city, it will change and say they get supplies from another city. If you cut them off from every city it says "Getting supplies from Any/All". Is this intended? Does it make sense? If it is intended it basically means an army can never be cut off from supplies as long as it stands in a province they control, which is always except during a siege?

Yes, army get supplies from nearby provinces .
If army is blocked from all supplies sources (cities, ports, and provinces with depots), they will get 0 supplies. So I think 0 supplies, mean cut off from supplies:)

Just because a province creates supplies doesn't mean it creates enough supplies. Provinces provide a certain amount of supplies each day. If those supplies are outstripped by the requirements of the army supplied by those regions then the army's supplies begin to dwindle. Once the army is out of supplies it suffers a major penalty in combat. If you keep losing because you've cut the enemy off but they still have supplies try keeping them out of supply for a few weeks. The larger the army, the sooner it will starve and the easier it is to cut off. If the enemy have moved a deathstack of 200K troops into your lands then this can be an excellent way to rack up a stupidly high death toll.

Just because a province creates supplies doesn't mean it creates enough supplies. Provinces provide a certain amount of supplies each day. If those supplies are outstripped by the requirements of the army supplied by those regions then the army's supplies begin to dwindle. Once the army is out of supplies it suffers a major penalty in combat. If you keep losing because you've cut the enemy off but they still have supplies try keeping them out of supply for a few weeks. The larger the army, the sooner it will starve and the easier it is to cut off. If the enemy have moved a deathstack of 200K troops into your lands then this can be an excellent way to rack up a stupidly high death toll.
Okay, so that means that a small army could stand around in a regular province cut off from external supplies and last there indefinitely, as long as their supply consumption is less than the production in the province?

Also, does it mean that a province will have more supplies the more supply sources it is connected to? Say, if it's connected to three sources it might produce enough to supply an army of, for instance, 30 000; if it's connected to two sources it might only have enough to supply 25 000 troops, and if it can only rely on it's own production it might only be able to supply 5 000 troops?

Okay, so that means that a small army could stand around in a regular province cut off from external supplies and last there indefinitely, as long as their supply consumption is less than the production in the province?

Also, does it mean that a province will have more supplies the more supply sources it is connected to? Say, if it's connected to three sources it might produce enough to supply an army of, for instance, 30 000; if it's connected to two sources it might only have enough to supply 25 000 troops, and if it can only rely on it's own production it might only be able to supply 5 000 troops?

Ok... I had to go back to the manual and clarify a few points myself here.

Armies trace their supplies from the biggest "supply centre" they can draw a line to through friendly controlled provinces. Supplies are generated by supply depots. So say Prussia has access to three supply regions; Berlin, Warsaw and Danzig, in that order of size. If the army can trace a direct line to Berlin, it will draw supplies from there. Otherwise, it will resort to Warsaw and then finally to Danzig if those two are captured by the enemy or cut off.

So, if you can cut off an enemy from all supply depots, then even the smallest army will eventually run out of supplies. You can prolong an army's ability to stay out of supply through having enough supply units.

I think it is region by region, and you can't draw supplies from every source available. So if the best supply source is Berlin, you're not using the supplies in Warsaw and Danzig. They're just there in case Berlin is cut off.

Ok... I had to go back to the manual and clarify a few points myself here.

Armies trace their supplies from the biggest "supply centre" they can draw a line to through friendly controlled provinces. Supplies are generated by supply depots. So say Prussia has access to three supply regions; Berlin, Warsaw and Danzig, in that order of size. If the army can trace a direct line to Berlin, it will draw supplies from there. Otherwise, it will resort to Warsaw and then finally to Danzig if those two are captured by the enemy or cut off.

So, if you can cut off an enemy from all supply depots, then even the smallest army will eventually run out of supplies. You can prolong an army's ability to stay out of supply through having enough supply units.

I think it is region by region, and you can't draw supplies from every source available. So if the best supply source is Berlin, you're not using the supplies in Warsaw and Danzig. They're just there in case Berlin is cut off.
Okay, I get it now, I think I didn't test this properly, I'll go do that now though. Thank you for the answers!

Alright, actually, when I tested it now it doesn't seem to happen quite the way you described. I started as Sweden and declared war on Russia, then marched in with a stack of about 10k troops deep into their country so the army stood on a single province controlled by me with nothing but Russian provinces surrounding them. They were taking attrition from the Russian winter until their numbers decreased below the supply limit, but their supplies never ran out. I let the game run for about 1,5 years and I made sure my army had no supply trains and that the province they were standing in had no depots and was not a ctiy. By the looks of things it seems they can live off the ground indefinitely.

Alright, actually, when I tested it now it doesn't seem to happen quite the way you described. I started as Sweden and declared war on Russia, then marched in with a stack of about 10k troops deep into their country so the army stood on a single province controlled by me with nothing but Russian provinces surrounding them. They were taking attrition from the Russian winter until their numbers decreased below the supply limit, but their supplies never ran out. I let the game run for about 1,5 years and I made sure my army had no supply trains and that the province they were standing in had no depots and was not a ctiy. By the looks of things it seems they can live off the ground indefinitely.

Strange...

I'm out of ideas. Maybe provinces without supply depots produce a small amount of supplies by themselves. I'm going to go boot up MoTE and check it out.

EDIT: Ok, all the provinces without supply depots have zero supply according to the game. I'm not really sure how this works anymore. At this point I'd say wait for someone who understands the supply system better than I do. Maybe the supply limit has something to do with it.

Last edited: