• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PB-DK

Former Paradox Fan
61 Badges
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rome Gold
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
hey guys, since the cancellation of east versus west i have decided to make mod ZOE mod for Arsenal of Democracy since it is the best suited of all the paradox games for simulating the period that i want the mod to cover which is basically 1870 to 1936 or further should the interest be there. the old ww1 mod from hearts of iron 2 should be a great base to develop from however it needs a lot of work to function in AOD

basically it should contain

ZOE1.jpg

so what is the basic plan?
recruit some people to help do research and development of the mod, no experience needed but having skype is always a good way to contact me (evil-overlord)

use the ww1 mod from hearts of iron 2 as a base for campaigns and further development since it covers the same period.

during the period 1870 to 1914, there where a lot of smaller scale conflicts in which the major powers dominated lesser powers and colonized many others, the german empire came into existance in 1871 after prussia defeated france, in 1900 a coalition of major powers defeated the chinese boxers and the chinese empire, in 1904-5 japan defeated russia in the far east and in 1910 italy and the ottoman empires clashed over libya... but in between all of these conflicts the smaller but equally interesting (at least to me) colonial conflicts among which where the boer wars, maori wars and ashanti wars, most of these conflicts where one sided but each does have a lot of historical significance (particularily locally)

anyways, if you can see the possibilities, please do post or get in contact, if you cannot, please dont bother posting :) thank you in advance

ScreenSave1.jpg

Other Mod also used in making this mod;
Tripartie pack by Titan79
E3 Map by furstbishop
ww1 by arthurius and others
DH ww1 used portions of tech teams and techs

Downloads; Developer Version
https://mega.co.nz/#!rcQAkKwK!aqqu0l91h78QIMUkuaQCD7Y9KLA6YD1kL8sEFQTYNpQ
download should work now

Last edited:
Reactions:
hi PB,
before you start such a big thing, what about making the ww1 mod available? from 1870 to 1918 is almost 50 years, thats a hell of a lot when it comes to leaders and ministers (if you count conservative, 1000 or even 2000 pics per year, globally). i'm too busy to help you, but i have an old ww1 mod which i made for DH-WW1 before they changed the CSVs. if you can use, feel free to take it since i corrected at least some of the mis-ID'd persons for germany (assuming that the old HoI2 database was in use back then).
for a longer timeframe you should think about using DH really, as its better possibilities regarding minister- and leader-management will save you a lot of time.

DH unfortunately lack a few triggers that i need to ensure a longer game and also a lot of mechanics to ensure a sensible progress, i also prefer AOD to DH despite the pretty features of DH... but thanks for the offer and the data

indeed the death date for ministers is going to be a pain to circumvent, but i need the manpower code from AOD to avoid getting super massive manpower reserves and also to get a good dynamic economy running

It is really a shame that there is no good WW1 MOD for any of the HOI2 series games that I am aware of.

To me it always seemed that the main shortcoming was not the incorrect leaders and ministers or the lack of the interesting yet minor colonial conflicts, but rather that AI Germany could not ever seem to take out AI Belgium.

I was an alpha tester for DH and never saw any playable 1914 game there either, although I have not looked at DH's progress in the last 2 years.

If you, PB-DK, would be willing to limit the development/improvement of AOD to a 1914-1920 scenario, or at least a game start not before 1911, then I would be willing to try to contribute if I may to your venture. However, my main interest is in getting the basic German/Belgium/France front, the German/Russian front, and the Austro-Hungarian/Russian/Balkan/Italian fronts to play right.

In my opinion, the basic game play is what the game should be about and the rest is just fluff.

There has been a disturbing trend in the computer gaming business over the last 20 years to make the next generations of classic games to be prettier in visual/sound/sensory experience yet poorer in game play and AI strategy. We see it here in that HOI2 is better than HOI3. In other games for instance, Civilization 3 ~2002 was the best; Gettysburg ~1998 has not been equaled; Heroes of Might and Magic 3 ~1998; Warlords 2&3 1996-1998; Rome 1 Total War ~2004 was the best of the Total War games.

Why is this so??? Everything looks better in the newer games but gameplay vastly is inferior.

i wont be willing to limit the mod but i do focus on WW1 as it is the 'zenith' of the period or more... the period of the period so to speak :)

i made this little AI in 20 mins for germany DH full, it still needs some work and a switch AI to clear garrisons but perhaps it can ...persuade you that i do concentrate myself with the great war

View attachment U08_1914.rar

Hey PB-DK, this looks like a very interesting concept to me. I'd be willing to contribute in some ways, as I have some limited experience modding HoI2 and AoD - mostly in text-editing - and I also have quite some knowledge of German history.
My main concern is whether it'd really be possible and fruitful to make it a 1870-1914 mod. I agree with froglegs that 1911 might be a much better starting date.
just my two cents :)

sure thing arthurius, i have checked it out and there is a few things that could be used to make this :) though i definetly prefer the slightly older 1897 campaign which did give me the inspiration to do the 1870-1936 version of it, just from the buttom up and avoiding all the secret weapons events and all that (not that there wont be any :))

and WildthingJR and frog, yes those 1911 and 1914 campaigns will be there as well and yes the engine has some problems copeing with such a timeframe without saving and loading every 10-15 years or so...

my plan still is to make the core 1870 setup first, then work on the other campaigns in this order:

I guess a 1870 scenario would be possible if you make it a stand-alone scenario with a limited ending date of some sorts. Either way, count me in if you like ;)

yes the end date will be 1991 dec 31st ;)

hint, all end dates will be the same 1936 or 45 or later if there is time and energy to expand the techs&events

Airtechproto.jpg

wildthingjr and i are working towards releasing a developer prototype(aka a glorified early alpha) around the 31st of this month(98th aniversary of the battle of jutland), it should contain the prototype setups for tech and scenarioes which should give a good indication of the direction the mod is going.

also, it will contain audio and visual effects from titan79's execellent tripartie mod (with his blessings :))

a little surprice and early rememberence for the sailors of both side that fought, lived and died at jutland
Zenith of Empires.zip

copy this into a new install of AOD 1.08 and you should be set to go

Technologies.jpg

Last edited:
I will take a look at this later.

I will take a look at this later.
thanks, any feedback is welcome and as i said, it is more of a glorified bunch of files than any real playable mod for now... (that will change though :)) still missing a lot of doctrines and no naval doctrines at all for now

yep, very much still alive, putting the last parts of the techs together, hopefully should be done soon so we can move on to the more interesting parts, scenario setups and events :)