• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MagooNZ

Captain
4 Badges
May 17, 2012
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
Is anyone able to confirm the following?

When I transfer capital ship brigades from an old ship to a new ship, the brigade appears to immediately downgrade to (possibly?) the original construction version. All upgrades already undertaken are lost. This doesnt even require a game save and reload to happen.

A CAG bridage is a very expensive item, so having to upgrade these all over again is costly. Thus carriers always have to be built with attached CAGs.

Transfer of screen ship brigades probably doesnt have this problem?

I only saw this in Core after saving and loading. Core developers are saying this is a bug in vanilla because (naval) brigades dont get saved.

I never had this problem when not saving and i am refitting my ships regularly.

On the other hand I cant see a reason to build a carrier without CAGs.

edit: I had a downgrade to the oldest Version available and not to the oroginal build, perhaps we are experiencing different problems

I find a clue in your statement of: "Transfer of screen ship brigades probably doesn't have this problem?">

I think what may be happening is the same as with ESC'FTR brigades that you have gotten upgraded on one stack of aircraft - let's say sitting in your capital which is at high infra so you like to upgrade there. Upon getting them upgraded you put them into deployment while another stack of aircraft needing its brigades upgraded you also put into deployment. The idea is to swap the upgraded brigades onto other stack, while your sack sitting in capital will do the job of upgrading the next 4 brigades. As you said: "When I transfer capital ship brigades from an old ship to a new ship."

Upon correctly taking the brigades back on the aircraft a week later - and insuring you got a correct swap - the brigades on the distant aircraft will not have the upgraded brigades, while the stack in capital will - even though the brigades were correctly swapped.

In short, swapping brigades to move upgraded brigades onto other stack does not work if other stack holds brigades that need upgrading. I suspect you may have had this happen with your ship brigades. Please check that the brigades you upgraded are not actually on the old ships you took them off.

This is a common problem with upgrading ESC/FTR and trying to swap any aircraft that had old brigades to get the upgraded brigades. There is a methodology that needs 2 weeks to complete that will make it possible with only one set of brigades ever in deployment at any one time so the upgrading achieved is not changed to other brigade instead. But swapping brigades on aircraft is very effective and having one aircraft stack sitting in a high infra capital to do quickly the upgrading for the brigades that were on distant aircraft sitting at lesser infra base is also a time saver.

However, when it comes to navies, constructing ships with their brigades is much simpler than building the brigades separately.

If your problem really is something else (because I have heard similar mention) then I have no answer except construct CVs and CVLs with their CAGs.

Before 1.08 there had been a bug that unattached brigades are downgraded. But this has been solved.

What is your definition of a bug, a feature and a flaw? I notice you refrain from ever using the last term regarding AoD.

A "bug" is something that strikes without warning and happens occasionally.

A "flaw" is something that is always in the game - and is on account of what the DEVs did.

A "feature" to describe euphorically what is a flaw, is your personal misappropriation of the English language!

In conclusion, 1.08 had a flaw regarding unattached CAG brigades.

In conclusion, 1.08 had a flaw regarding unattached CAG brigades.

1.08 had solved the Bug. Didn't it?

A "bug" is something that strikes without warning and happens occasionally.

I donnot think so. Given proper knowledge a bug is something that can be foreseen and given some other skills it is possible to eliminate the bug. A bug something that had not been intended.

A "feature" to describe euphorically what is a flaw, is your personal misappropriation of the English language!

A feature is something that works as intended.

I've been playing AoD1.08 for quite a while now, and I'm reasonably sure I have seen this problem relatively recently, but in 1.08 mods such as Improved36.

I'll do some tests to obtain clear information.

Tests on AoD1.08, Improved36, July 1950.
I take brigades off BS & LC. If I return them to the same ship they don't downgrade.
But if I put other brigades on the ships, they all appear to downgrade to the earliest possible model.
My battleship has combat specs of 29-10-29-13, when I remove 4 brigades the specs become 20-0-29-10.
I add back modern radar, AA, FC & Sec brigades; these are worth 2-1-0-0, 0-6-0-3, 4-1-0-0, 3-2-0-0; which totals 9-10-0-3. But the ship with the replacement brigades only has specs of 23-2-29-11.

My light cruiser has combat specs of 12-18-6-9, when I remove the 2 brigades the specs become 7-9-6-6.
I add back modern FC & AA brigades with 3-1-0-0 and 2-8-0-3, which totals 5-9-0-3. However my light cruiser with the replacement brigades only has specs of 8-11-6-7.

So both ship types; capitals and screens, are downgraded. Perhaps this was corrected in AoD1.09?, or if corrected in 1.08, the improved 36 mod has restored this bug.

postfux appears to be correct; the brigades downgrade to the earliest possible model. Since the transferred brigades on the LC first upgrade to 1936 version in 1 or 2 days.

Last edited:

I am glad you are 'extremely happy' about what you describe as the euphemistic use of the word feature, but please, when correcting another person's use of the English language, (even if it is only your perceived use), ensure that you in turn are using it correctly.

I am glad you are 'extremely happy' about what you describe as the euphemistic use of the word feature, but please, when correcting another person's use of the English language, (even if it is only your perceived use), ensure that you in turn are using it correctly.

Very good point. I am so glad that there are readers out there that know the finer points of English better than me. Thanks!