• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Alfy

Vice Under Secretary (of Vice)
61 Badges
Jul 17, 2008
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
Hi all!

I was really happy recently when, playing as the King of Aquitaine, I managed to marry my son to the Queen of Lotharingia. And not matrilineally, even! Alas, a few years later, the poor Queen gets assassinated by her cousin. As I really wanted to see what the result would have been had she lived, I cheated a bit a reloaded another save. Alas, she gets assassinated a month later nevertheless. I than tried to send my spy to work in Lotharingia, hoping it would offer some protection against plots. She still dies, over and over again, and I'm now starting to feel a bit bad for the poor girl.

Hence the question: is sending your spy in other capitals helpful in any way to uncover plots? Or does the spy only look for plots against you?

Thanks in advance!

Not commenting on question as I do not know the answer but you can perhaps load as Lotharingia, see who is plotting, then as Aquitane just murder the guy who plots the murder.

Huh, thanks, I had not thought of that! :eek:o I actually know the name of the would-be assassin, so I guess I can just try to get rid of him before the fact.

If someone else has the answer to the original question, I'm still interested though.

No, I don't think you can tell people that they are the target of a plot. And it has to be a plot because of the consistency.

Ouch, thanks for the info. I get that there is no reason why your spy should be able to get info in foreign courts, but I was hoping that my son being involved might be taken into account in the mechanics.

Your spymaster looks for all sorts of plots wherever you send him or her. However, unless the plotters really like you, they won't agree to cancel the plot since refusing you carries no consequences. (They won't have You are my liege: +++ modifier.)
Sounds like the best option would be to off the cousin. If he is the leader of the plot, the plot dies with him. However, it sounds like the Queen is not awfully popular, so someone will eventually either plot-kill her or fire a faction against her. You can't protect her against the former unless you get lucky with your spymaster finding plots and assassinating the plotters, but you can offer to join faction wars against her as her father-in-law.
All things considered though, you only need her to last long enough for her to have a child with your son...

However, it sounds like the Queen is not awfully popular, so someone will eventually either plot-kill her or fire a faction against her. You can't protect her against the former unless you get lucky with your spymaster finding plots and assassinating the plotters, but you can offer to join faction wars against her as her father-in-law.
All things considered though, you only need her to last long enough for her to have a child with your son...
A +1 on this. Tried so many times to keep a foreign realm together, but learned now that it's usually always hopeless unless you go to the point of loading up and playing as that character for a few months to get things in order(Because in the end, a faction will fire that is too strong and the AI will capitulate with no war). That however means your own realm will be ran down the drain by the AI, as it tends to do when it gets control of a realm the player previously handled, not a good choice.
So, conclusion is, make her last long enough to give a child or two, then kill her. If you are like me and love to place your dynasty on the different thrones around rather than conquering, that kid is now well protected and you don't need to bother with the realm again.

Well, assassinating the cousin has worked for now, although obviously you might be very right, in which case I just postponed the inevitable. If only there was a way to hurry children along... :D I might give your way a try, but I'm very worried for Aquitaine, as my own kingdom isn't exactly in great order.

By the way, should I manage to get Lotharingia and Aquitaine under one rule, can I choose to be part of the HRE? Or is Aquitaine considered my primary?

By the way, should I manage to get Lotharingia and Aquitaine under one rule, can I choose to be part of the HRE? Or is Aquitaine considered my primary?

It depends on which of the 2 inherits the other.
If the holder the independent title inherits the vassal title, the vassal title gets ripped out of that realm (assuming ca doesn't block the inheritence)
If the holder of the vassal title gets the independant one, then the independant title gets integrated into the realm.
For more general purposes: this only works if both titles are of equal rank, if not, that higher rank title always takes precedence.

In this case it comes down to:
If the queen dies before your son, you'll be a vassal.
If your son dies before the queen (assuming you have already died, and he has inherited your titles) than you'll be independant. (with the risk of HRE de jure wars...)

So no, you don't get the choice, it's decided by who dies first.

I think I had not fully realised all the implications of that union... Thanks for the explanation, it's gonna be interesting to see if I can get my son to die in a timely manner. :p

I think I had not fully realised all the implications of that union... Thanks for the explanation, it's gonna be interesting to see if I can get my son to die in a timely manner. :p

If you want to get yourself killed, just some tips:
Put him at the head of an army going into a lot of combat in every war (perhaps even switch him between armies to get him in battle for as long as possible)
Upset a couple of high intrigue people.
But most effective, though a bit gamey and perhaps expensive, is to fire your spymaster and then use the diplomacy option to assasinate rulers (and keep the spymaster position empty for some days). There's an event they can get if you get caught where they will send an assasin to kill you (doesn't cost them money, so they don't need that :)

Reload and murder the cousin before they murder the queen.