• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Reeveli

Sergeant
63 Badges
Feb 25, 2012
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Cities in Motion
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Darkest Hour
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Prison Architect
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
As the title says: since the game is on sale in Steam me and couple of friends are thinking about buying this for some late night time sinking. So is the multiplayer stable enough to warrant purchase? I've read some people reporting in Steam about consistent sync errors which make the mp unplayable. Can anyone here verify that?

First thing to say: The multiplayer is really fun to play with! :)
Unfortunately, for a long time it was really a pain in the ass to play, because the game lost synchronization all the time without telling the players.
Therefore, I highly recommend for all players to be in a teamspeak room or some other kind of steady communication for exchanging what there are dooing. This way the other players can confirm that the actions of the others are really taking effect at their end.
The problem of losing synchronization between the players (in fact, each player then plays its own single player game...) was persistent for a long time.
However, I have had a 4 hours multiplayer session last week and there was no loss of synchronization whatsoever throughout the complete session. So the last time I tried the multiplayer, it really worked as it should do. Maybe CO fixed something.

Unfortunately, CO does not really gives us information about what they had fixed. Therefore, I don't know if CO had looked into the multiplayer or if it is just random when and if the game loses sync.
Maybe a comment from one of COs staff can help here.

Above all: keep in mind that the multiplayer is not really as interactive as you may wish. E.g: There is really no way for you to display the lines, vehicles or stops of opponents. The objects are of course present on the map but they don't have the interface-overlay. So you really have to search for them. If you finally found an object of an opponent, you have to aim very carefully to be able to open the information window. This shows you the same information as of your own objects. However, you can not hide/show the object, so there is also no option to hide/show lines that does not belong to your own company.
Also, you can not build stops on infrastructure that is not built by the city or yourself and you are not allowed to demolish any infrastructure besides your own.

Altogether, like with many aspects of this game, the multiplayer is a great idea but the implementation lacks to impress because it was not fully thought through.

Despite all this, I bought the game and all DLCs and have fun with it. Most of the time I play singleplayer or build maps with the editor. I only play multiplayer with one specific acquaintance of mine for my multiplayer let's play on youtube.
And besides all the flaws (minor and major ones) of this game it is the game with the most playtime of all my games on Steam. So though CiM2 is far from perfect, if you guys like the genre of transport simulation / city building I think you will have fun with this game.
(As long as the multiplayer stays in sync)

We know that CiM2 is a slow/uninteractive occasionaly and yes we use teamspeak so that is not a problem. So would you say that frequent saving (to help with the syncing problem) can keep the multiplayer playable enough to be enjoyable?

So would you say that frequent saving (to help with the syncing problem) can keep the multiplayer playable enough to be enjoyable?
I would say yes.
We save every 20 minutes to minimize loss of data in case of a desync. On some days we had really bad luck with almost instantaneously desyncs and on some days it worked like a charm :)
Having multiple desyncs of course is not so funny. However, if you do not experience desyncs (maybe there are fixed, who knows), then the multiplayer is definitely playable.
And if you stay in contact over teamspeak e.g. to exchange what you are doing since the game does not really shows you the others actions, then it is also really enjoyable :)

No, it's definitely not recommended for multiplaying!
The game, better the gameplay is fantastic. BUT, the code is catastrophal: Desync, Crash of game engine etc.
Better you do not buy this game!!!

Please understand, I like the Singleplayer very much!

I've had this game for a long time.

Multiplayer isn't good as it can take so long to find another player, sometimes waiting for more than 30 minutes only to find no one else is wanting to play it.

It can randomly crash meaning both you and the other person lose everything. It can randomly say the other person disconnected (And on their screen saying that you disconnected) meaning you both have lost that whole multiplayer map as it is now single player.

It's really up to you, but I purchased this game a while ago and have only done the multiplayer twice.