• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BasileusIX

Captain
16 Badges
Aug 9, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Yesterday I tried to find the most important, the-course-of-history moments per century and per everything. Do you have any ideas? What could have been the most important event in for example the 19th century? Napoleons defeat? The formation of Germany? What has changed the world more: the Rise of Christianity or the Rise of Islam? Whose legacy was more important, Augustus' or Columbus'? Share your thoughts!

This is an outright impossible topic as almost all moments in history could be seen as important from our perspective, but I'd like to think that the Enlightenment with the revolutions between 1700-1900 to be one of the most prominent moments in history. Also the Age of discovery marked a significant shift in environmental, political, economical and social matters.

Surely the further back you go, the more important the event, no matter how mundane? What if mitochondrial eve ate somes bad berries and was too busy squatting the next day to couple with her cousin?

I find this typical focus on single events/causes nonsensical, they dont exist in a vacuum.

Duke Charles XVII of Schwitz-Marenburg's victory at the battle of the Lorren Fields in 1657. Changed western Europe completely. Really everyone here must have heard of that story though.

I find this typical focus on single events/causes nonsensical, they dont exist in a vacuum.
In that spirit, I nominate the formation of the solar system as the single most important event that has defined the course, nay, the very existence of history on Earth. ^_^

In that spirit, I nominate the formation of the solar system as the single most important event that has defined the course, nay, the very existence of history on Earth. ^_^
Hell that one actually even happened in a vacuum :laugh:

All of them share the equal importance. Otherwise we'd have a distorted timeline and live in an alternate 'universe'.

I think the last 'great' event that has happened in our days is the reunification of Germany.

Yes, there is the occasional atom or Molecule, or planet.
Then, what would you say is the most important events per century?

I think the most important event of the 9000th century BC was, when that guy made a fire.

Stuck speaks in jest, but he is treading in the right direction.

The most important moments in history have been the inventions of:
- Fire
- Agriculture
- Writing
- Domestication of animals
- Steam engine, and so on.

Electricity no doubt becomes one of the biggest turning points of world history, but 2014 is too early to say what kind of an impact it will leave. But I have an itch that it will become the new Fire for mankind, something that completely turns the course of history forever.

As for decade-by-decade, I can't arse myself to list them all. However I do think that 9/11 was the most important moment of the post-Cold War world. I'm not sure if the Cold War itself will be a turning point in mankind's history, but the World Wars will definitely be remembered as the time when man finally grew his beard.

Duke Charles XVII of Schwitz-Marenburg's victory at the battle of the Lorren Fields in 1657. Changed western Europe completely. Really everyone here must have heard of that story though.
Are you joking? Because a google search for that name doesn't show anything.

Seconded! Surely, mister Fishman, you wouldn't post nonsense on these illustrious boards?

P.S. Drupplesnub, I think we fell in his trap :D

I think that's his point. I'm not a fan of Marxist history, but I'm also not of fan of "great events" based history. It's rarely a simple answer when it comes to history.

Hegel

Nothing has been the same since our ancestors started wearing clothes.