Keeping your AAR interesting... when you're too good at the game.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The real reason why I do not write AARs is because I'm so bad at every Paradox game. :ninja:

That is why I keep roaming the AARland, trying to learn from better players how to play the game.

Reactions:
The real reason why I do not write AARs is because I'm so bad at every Paradox game. :ninja:

That is why I keep roaming the AARland, trying to learn from better players how to play the game.

I don't believe that for a second - especially looking at your list of games underneath your avatar! :p

I don't believe that for a second - especially looking at your list of games underneath your avatar! :p

I must confess, Steam sales for me are more "how many more icons can I amass?" than "how many more games can I buy?" :p

I must confess, Steam sales for me are more "how many more icons can I amass?" than "how many more games can I buy?" :p

And you don't even have that many!

I like to have a unique angle for any AAR I write.

When in doubt invade France, for whatever reason it always is a crowd pleaser.

That is why you should do an AAR, it is a great way to learn. Its how I got the basics of HOI3. Followers often commented on what I was doing wrong or explained the mechanics of the game. By the time I was finished and was looking back to write the conclusion I was surprised by how raw I was at the beginning.

I recently read the Hansa AAR, and the player have set up "house rules" : basically, not expanding too much and keeping stuff historical. IMHO, it made a very good AAR!
I also think an easy rule to keep the game interesting / hard is to simply avoid vasal feeding (so, no Ukrainian vasal with its 10 something provinces...)

Edit: that obviously only apply to EUIV, I didn't realised I wasn't on the EUIV section of the forum, my bad...

When in doubt invade France, for whatever reason it always is a crowd pleaser.
What happens if you are France? :p

Inevitably, I feel, a gameplay AAR is less about the what and more about the how and why. What I mean is, to me, gameplay is less about the the outcome (though that is important) and more about how you achieve that outcome and why you did the things you did the way you did them. Obviously the outcome (the what) is important, but only really when judged by your actions.

So focus on your actions and reasoning more and that should be interesting regardless if you win or lose.

My two cents, anyway.

Basically, those things that happen when you play that are really bad and you just want to load an earlier save, those are the things that keep AARs interesting.

Basically, be a neighbour to a superpower either BBB, BPB (GB in ViC2) or BGB (Germany in HoI3).

My formula is just trying to play as the character (CK) country (EU) or party in power (Vicky) would had done. It really works, and makes games much more interesting, from start to end. This implies not making smart decisions when having bad kings, not conquering without CB, not playing policies that would be strange to the party on power. Check my megacampaign AAR, is played like that (it's in spanish however), and after 1000 years I wasn't at all first power (I was 4rth, and I'm a very good player when I play seriously).

The end map after 1000 years playing, to understand what I mean. Just not play as good you are all the time with the only aim of expanding. http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9900/z4j6.jpg

Remember when writing an AAR, you are telling the story. Rebellious nobles committing suicide-by-liege? Lump those little pesky revolts into a general rebellion in the story.

Also, sometimes let little things you would normally stop continue to roll. In CK2, let a plot blossom instead of stomping it as soon as your spymaster catches it. Those little snowballs can sometimes lead to an avalanche of a good tale... and give you a challenge while playing you didn't expect. :)

Also, sometimes let little things you would normally stop continue to roll. In CK2, let a plot blossom instead of stomping it as soon as your spymaster catches it. Those little snowballs can sometimes lead to an avalanche of a good tale... and give you a challenge while playing you didn't expect. :)

So very true!

What happens if you are France? :p

Then, once you decide to go to war, you charge blindly on, straight into an army with a decent leader, and spend the next ten years keeping your head down and hoping the coalition against you stays quiet :D