+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Runemaster – The Stories of Women from Norse Mythology

Colonel Paradox Dev Team Regina's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    MagickaMajesty 2Majesty II CollectionEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Runemaster – The Stories of Women from Norse Mythology

In Runemaster, you alone will determine the fate of the world.
    Until then, we invite you to read the stories of women from Norse Mythology and discover their sagas, before you embark on your own

Blenda
    The Stories Say: When the great king Alle of the Geats took the men from Värend, our village in Småland to invade our Norwegian enemies, a surprise attack from the Danes threatened our lives and holdings. Legend tells of how I rallied the women of my village in the traditional manner – a fiery cross - to oppose the raiders. Seducing them with food and drink and admiring phrases, the Danes fell asleep and were then killed to a man. The Great King rewarded the women warriors with inheritance rights and I became a great Swedish heroine whose achievements lived on in song.

Freya
    The Stories Say: I rule the domains of fertility and sex, but also the field of war Fólkvangr where I welcome half of those Vikings that are slain in battle. I rule the Valkyries and initiated the practice of ancient Vanir sorcery among the Aesir gods. Many sagas sing of my beauty and of the stakes that people will pay to gain my favors – stealing Mjolnir from Thor or crafting the most beautiful necklace in the world. My chariot is pulled by cats, so the Internet should be my domain, too.

Brynhildr
    The Stories Say: I am a valkyrie, a shieldmaiden of Odin assigned to choose those warriors that will die in battle and live forever at the side of the gods in Valhalla and Fólkvangr. By opposing Odin in deciding the outcome of a battle, I was condemned to live as a mortal where I met and fell in love with Sigurd. Bewitched, my love betrayed me and we both married other people. Our tragic story of misunderstandings, witchcraft and feats of strength has inspired centuries of artists.

Hervor
    The Stories Say: There was once a magic sword called Tyrfing. It was cursed by its dwarven smiths to slay a man every time it was drawn and to bring ruin to its original bearer, as well as cause three great evils. Still, it could cut through stone as easily as cloth. I was the heir to this magic sword, but to claim it I had to disguise myself as a man. I undertook many adventures in the quest to find the sword and my father’s grave, including raiding neighbors, exploring a haunted land of the dead and proving my worth to my father’s ghost. With my sword and intelligence, I helped a giant king rule his court and eventually retired to a quiet homelife.

Skadi
    The Stories Say: I am a giantess and associated with the Aesir gods. I am the patron of winter activities, and of the snowy landscapes themselves. When my giant father was killed by the gods, I equipped myself as a soldier and marched to Asgard on my own, demanding compensation and satisfaction from the arrogant deities that ruled there. I won myself a husband and a place in Asgard. It was I that placed the serpent above Loki’s captivity, and it is I that guides and guards wanderers in the Scandinavian mountains.

Valkyries
    The Stories Say: We are harbingers of death, but also signs of hope for if you see one of our number riding by your side in battle, you will know that you are marked for an honorable death in war and you will soon feast with the Gods in Valhalla. We are powerful soldiers in our own right, and the best of our number are the match for any great hero. Like the Norns that read men’s fate, we may sometimes act as protectors for those blessed by the gods, but more often than not we stand for the end of life and the beginning of a new cycle.

Frigg
    The Stories Say: I am the wife of Odin and the queen of Asgard, mother to the great gods Thor, Heimdall and Baldur. I sit beside my husband in Valhalla, drinking from a golden horn. But I am best known as the patron of all mothers, for I so loved my son Baldur that I extracted a promise from everything on earth that it should never do harm to him. My one oversight – passing by the mistletoe – doomed him and eventually all the gods. I am Mother Earth, I am childbirth, I am the home. For no Norseman can travel far without the knowledge that his hearth is well cared for.

Idunn
    The Stories Say: I am youth, and the keeper of the golden apples that represent the energy and strength of Asgard. Though a fertility deity, I am best known as the one who can guarantee the vigor of the gods through my cultivation of magic fruit. When I was taken hostage by the giants, my indispensable services became apparent as the gods aged and neared death, for our gods are not like others and may decay and die. Over the years, I have become a cultural symbol of learning and childhood – a guardian not just of eternal youth, but of knowledge itself.

Hel
    The Stories Say: Daughter of Loki, I rule the land of the dead, Helheim. Many mansions and houses dot my dismal realm, filled with the spirits of those who did not die a glorious death. My flesh is half black, and half flesh-colored, mirroring my nature as the goddess of darkness and the one deity that almost everyone must face in their lives. It was I who gave the gods a way out of the death of Baldur, calling for tears from every thing on earth – living or dead. Loki’s unwillingness to cry while in disguise condemned Baldur to sit in a place of honor at my side until the coming of the new age after Ragnarok.

Lagertha
    The Stories Say: Thrown aside and abused by the king of Sweden when he invaded my native Norway, I took up arms beside the great king Ragnar of Denmark when he raided Norway. I fought bravely and caught the eye of the king, who sought my hand but only won it by slaying the fierce bear and hound that guarded my home. When my husband cast me aside for another, I stayed loyal to him and led 100 ships to his rescue in a civil war that threatened his throne. But he proved to not be worthy of me, so I slew him and took the crown for myself.

Your hero
    These women we mention are only a few that changed the world of Norse Mythology. When you play Runemaster, you will be able to create your own hero – man or woman – and change the fate of the world. So prepare for a journey into the unknown, because you alone are the master of your own saga.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	runemaster.jpg
Views:	4272
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	103325

And if you want to bring forth a strong woman from Norse Mythology,
    please do so in the comments of this thread

Cheers,
    regina

And in case you wanna read about women from our other PDS games eras, here are the links - enjoy!

Crusader Kings II – Women of the Medieval Era
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...e-Medieval-Era

Europa Universalis IV – How we changed the world
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...nged-the-world

Hearts of Iron IV: How we changed the world

The Women of the Victorian era that changed history
    Last edited by Regina; 10-03-2014 at 10:25.
    Paradox Development Studio - Strategy is Our Game
    Do you want to show your support for us at PDS - the developers behind EU, CK, Hoi, Vicky & Runemaster?
    Feel free to "Like" us at Facebook: www.facebook.com/ParadoxDevelopmentStudio

55 games registered

A Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDungeonlandEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandGettysburg
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireKing Arthur II
    Lead and GoldLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarStarvoidThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the RosesKnights of Pen and Paper +1 EditionTeleglitch: Die More EditionEuropa Universalis IVWar of the Vikings

I will play as a female troll. It will be so much fun.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty II CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

The stories of Blenda, Hervor and Lagertha are quite interesting. I hadn't come across them before when reading on Norse mythology. From which sagas are they?
    Imperium 1.4 (Mod for Victoria II)

Austria: efficient like the Germans, musical like the Italians and refined like the French.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

I will definitely play as a female in Runemaster.
    Traits: Thrifty clerk, Poet, Kind, Deceitful, Charitable, Wroth, Proud, Ambitious, Arbitrary, Homosexual, Zealot

Quote Originally Posted by Andrelvis View Post
    The stories of Blenda, Hervor and Lagertha are quite interesting. I hadn't come across them before when reading on Norse mythology. From which sagas are they?
    After a quick wikipedia search:

Blenda isn't from any of the sagas, but from a Swedish legend that was first printed in the 17th century, although it may be based on older stories. Värend really did have equal inheritance rights for women though, and I don't think anybody really knows why.

Hervor is from a set of stories known as the Tyrfing Cycle, about the magic sword Tyrfing. Two of the stories from the cycle are found in the Poetic Edda and the Hervarar saga acts as a sort of compilation of the stories.

Lagertha is from the Saxo Grammaticus.
    "Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"

Can we count Princess Olga as a Norse? The story about her revenge is legendary (in all meanings), and I can easily imagine her as a heroine of bloody saga. Anyway, she is my favorite female Christian saint.

Colonel Paradox Dev Team Regina's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    MagickaMajesty 2Majesty II CollectionEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

And in case you wanna read about women from our other games eras, here are the links - enjoy!

Last edited by Regina; 10-03-2014 at 10:24.
    Paradox Development Studio - Strategy is Our Game
    Do you want to show your support for us at PDS - the developers behind EU, CK, Hoi, Vicky & Runemaster?
    Feel free to "Like" us at Facebook: www.facebook.com/ParadoxDevelopmentStudio

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Druplesnubb View Post

Blenda isn't from any of the sagas, but from a Swedish legend that was first printed in the 17th century, although it may be based on older stories. Värend really did have equal inheritance rights for women though, and I don't think anybody really knows why.
    Denmark had equal inheritance rights for women (along with equal legal rights and the right to divorce, etc.), so it wouldn't be that odd for parts of Geat land to have similar traditions as well.

I didn't know that story about Largertha. I really though Ragnarr was executed by King Aelle (the snake-pit and all that).

Interesting, I know nothing about norse mythology.
    Can we find these women in Runemaster? All?

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Leviathan: WarshipsMagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarThe Showdown Effect
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Awesome stuff! Thanks Regina!
    The Mad Irishman

Resquiat in pace, East vs West
    2011-2014

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty II CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Hervor is from a set of stories known as the Tyrfing Cycle, about the magic sword Tyrfing. Two of the stories from the cycle are found in the Poetic Edda and the Hervarar saga acts as a sort of compilation of the stories.

Lagertha is from the Saxo Grammaticus.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Imperium 1.4 (Mod for Victoria II)

Austria: efficient like the Germans, musical like the Italians and refined like the French.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    And in case you wanna read about women from our other games eras, here are the links - enjoy!

I'm a bit late to the part bu this is really cool.

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    MagickaPenumbra - Black PlagueSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Blenda isn't from any of the sagas, but from a Swedish legend that was first printed in the 17th century, although it may be based on older stories.
    The Blender, on the other hand, didn't come out until 1919.
    "A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?"

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

brynhild is attila's sister in a different legend
    You must gather your party before venturing forth!

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Late to the party, but awesome posts!
    "Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant. Need as well as greed have followed us to the stars, and the rewards of wealth still await those wise enough to recognize this deep thrumming of our common pulse." - Nwabudike Morgan

"Theists, atheists, and UFO-believers all have one thing in common. They are willing to make large assumptions with little to no evidence." - Freebot

"'FETCH ME MY QUILL AND PARCHMENT FOR I HAVE A MISSIVE TO WRITE' - soda" - seamus2008

Hooo wow interesting... well i have read Little Women (or Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy) is a novel by American author Louisa May Alcott (1832–1888). Written and set in the Alcott family home, Orchard House, in Concord, Massachusetts, it was published in two parts in 1868 and 1869.
    Last edited by Korbah; 27-05-2014 at 19:14. Reason: Removed external link

Field Marshal Demi Moderator Korbah's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpire
    Majesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    War of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

External links are against the forum rules.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    CK2: Elder Kings, the Elder Scrolls Mod for CK2 | Crusader Kings Z | CK2 Minimap Retextures | CK2 Flag Template | CK2 Icon Templates
    CK2 Wiki
    If I use this colour, I'm talking as a Demi-Moderator. Please follow the rules and play nice.
    4-0

You don't have to resort to mythology to realize that many Scandinavian women were quite unusual for their time. There was one jealous wife during an attempted colonization of Vinland who seems to have thought a battle axe to be the best tool for dealing with rivals, much to the horror of her manly Viking companions.

I hope that women play a significant role in this game, but I also hope that they are not merely male characters decked out with different pixels. Something a bit more complex than breeders and weaker fighters would be nice, and would give the game some added depth.

(Having said that, my fencing instructor was a woman, and you wouldn't want to meet her in a dark alley when she was in a bad mood with a blade in her hand).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast