• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The rivers are there for the major river crossing penalty and so that norse raiders if they are set up in a zone that touches the sea (which should not happen naturally) can still raid up the rivers. They were also talking about possibly making the nile and some other rivers major rivers but that it takes a lot of work to do.

Sorry to read about your illness, cybrxkhan, but while and since we're at it: could you please remove that line telling about it from your signature? You could put it just in VIET's first post (where it is currently missing), or - if you have to keep it in your sig - at least change it to white or a more bland colour.

A long, bright red line like that kind of hurts my eyes every time I read something near it (I mean it seriously). Thank you very much!

Sorry to read about your illness, cybrxkhan, but while and since we're at it: could you please remove that line telling about it from your signature? You could put it just in VIET's first post (where it is currently missing), or - if you have to keep it in your sig - at least change it to white or a more bland colour.

A long, bright red line like that kind of hurts my eyes every time I read something near it (I mean it seriously). Thank you very much!

If it really bothers you that much... I'll change it...

If it really bothers you that much... I'll change it...
Thank you very much.

And mind you, I wasn't "bothered" by it at all - how could I, given what it says? But it really caused me a vision problem (something linked to my eyes, I guess - I'm not colourblind or the like but sometimes bright colours or some peculiar colour associations cause me trouble) so I'm most obliged to you for having changed it. Now it's perfect, but if you feel it's not visible enough you could e.g. increase the text size or even change it to a light yellow or another colour - just not bright red, please! :)

Thank you very much.

And mind you, I wasn't "bothered" by it at all - how could I, given what it says? But it really caused me a vision problem (something linked to my eyes, I guess - I'm not colourblind or the like but sometimes bright colours or some peculiar colour associations cause me trouble) so I'm most obliged to you for having changed it. Now it's perfect, but if you feel it's not visible enough you could e.g. increase the text size or even change it to a light yellow or another colour - just not bright red, please! :)

Why, in the world, should your vision idiosyncrasies require him to need to change his signature?

Why, in the world, should your vision idiosyncrasies require him to need to change his signature?
Well, because (I don't know if in English there's a similar saying; the following is a direct translation) "asking is legitimate, answering is courtesy"?

In other words, I didn't point him a gun to the head. Did I? I asked him for a favour and he was so kind to oblige to my - I guess - polite enough request, that's all.

Which is not, by the way, what can be said about your question, given the obviously unfair style you chose to present it in.

-

Sorry for the OT, let's go on with the thread at hand.

Indeed. Now, while people with Crohn's vary in terms of appearance despite the fact that Crohn's usually makes it harder to absorb nutrients - for instance I am extremely underweight (worse than a runway model, for what it's worth) due to my Crohn's, but there are people with Crohn's who are seriously underweight - Alfred to my knowledge had symptoms extremely typical of Crohn's, and I haven't come across anything suggesting he wasn't suffering a lot form the illness. Throughout his life, he constantly suffered episodes of abdominal pain, diarrhea, and (if I remember correctly) something the medieval folks interpreted as hemorrhoids around the anal area. These episodes - which, typical to Crohn's, could and can occur anytime randomly - put a lot of stress on Alfred throughout his life. Imagine if you're a great warrior king, in the middle of a crucial campaign, and suddenly the day right before battle you suffer from extreme diarrhea and fatigue. It's quite amazing Alfred was able to do what he did with what appears to be a moderate to severe case of Crohn's.
Interesting. I kind of always figured Crohn's was something that medieval figures couldn't have had, since presumably everyone would have had worms, thus preventing the illness (if hygiene hypothesis is correct -- it may not be). Either way, interesting to consider.

Interesting. I kind of always figured Crohn's was something that medieval figures couldn't have had, since presumably everyone would have had worms, thus preventing the illness (if hygiene hypothesis is correct -- it may not be). Either way, interesting to consider.

Crohns was known as a distinct disease from as early as the 1600s or 1700s (or at least scholars at the time could identify its symptoms together systematically) although they didn't call it Crohns of course. I've heard that the amount of people with a crohns has grown greatly over the past century due to various reasons, though I remain skeptical; regardless it would've still been something that could've affected people historically including possibly Louis XIII of France, for instance, though his case isn't as solid as Alfred the Great. Alfred's symptoms from historical sources match extremely closely with Crohn's, and the alternatives simply don't match him as well. There's one scholarly article you can find easily online concerning Alfred and Crohns I think, forgot what it was though but if you google it it should be easy to find.