• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

111axa1

Pretentious Imperatus
40 Badges
May 4, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • For The Glory
  • Divine Wind
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
I've always liked the idea of gaining more power over time, though of course Crusader Kings 2 is also about the fall of great men. Nevertheless, I've always thought it a rather important goal of mine and others to become an emperor (unless you're Altaic, in which case, everyone hates you). But seeing that Crusader Kings 2 is much more than power leveling I'd like to ask the community, does the imperial title matter to you? Do you prefer simply being a king or a duke, maybe even a count? Hell, English kings never created the Empire of Brittania but they turned out pretty cool :happy:

Let the people speak!

Last edited:
I find the in-game benefits of having king vassals is just too hard to pass up, especially when the imperial crowns can fall on your head quite easily.

I lose the urge after King, unless I'm in Byzantium or the HRE. I've gone off forming ahistorical empires (as a Christian, at least) as I much prefer the feel of having more fluid empires held together through personal unions.

I have been known to get contented as a powerful Duke, but not for more than a few generations as the Witch-like voice in my head always says, "One day, you shall be King!"

I'm cool with anything Duke or above, though if the opportunity to create a higher title presents itself I usually do. I can't stand playing Counts because they don't get numbers.

I actually far prefer playing as a duke for various reasons, and I rarely form kingdoms. Hell, I sometimes wish I could give away my king title or destroy it when I accidentally get one.

Though I do like planting my dynasty members as kings of other nations, it's part of the reason why I always go elective.

Last edited:
My favorite scenario is where I start in Cumania and work hard to become King of Rus. That's right. From Omsk, I start conquering little guys one by one until I have enough land to become the King of Rus. After that, I try to become the Tsar-Khagan of Russia.

THEN, EVERYTHING CHANGED WHEN THE MONGOLS ATTACKED.

The new demesne limit helps being an emperor since you can have larger demesne. But I still find I like being king better for my game style. Once I get big enough to put out a top 5 army I don't really like to expand unless I really like a certain piece of land or finish getting all de jure land. I do like getting other kingdoms for family members.

Emperor when you win a title they become your vassal and if there is an ongoing succession crisis or immediate war you cant grant independence and you can't come to their aid. If you manage the clock right, slow mo and pause you can usually grant it as soon as you win but if you forget you can miss your chance. Easier if you are just King they cant become your vassal and you can jump into any wars for their title and help them out.

Plus being a King at least you have to manage many Dukes. If you are an emperor and create all your kingdoms you might only have a handful of direct vassals. Which are way easier to manage then say 30 Dukes.

I genuinely enjoy playing lower level titles, usually counts or a minor family in a republic, and only advancing if my liege grants me a title, etc. I like watching my dynasty evolve and all the crazy family dynamics much more than trying to make myself a king or an emperor.

It can be difficult in a republic. I can't count how many times I've ended up in charge despite making absolutely no effort to be elected.