• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Trexeth

Banned
4 Badges
Dec 27, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
Hello everyone,
I think that economy plays a major part in any time of history for any country.
I, as the one who knows economy quite well, feel that economy system in PDS games is really terrible, and not-deep.

Honestly, let's look at EU4, u have some "Base tax rate", whole province produces only one good, which is sold at world price (what is dumb, because world prices appeared only in mid of 20th century, during the whole history, every city had it's own prices for every good).

In EU4 you just get certain Tax, which has been taken from nowhere, imagined by a gamedev...
In CK2 the same system, with "Base tax" that is equal to nearly all provinces. To increase your "Base Tax" u build certain types of buildings... Is it realistic??? FAR FROM IT!
The economy system must be much more complicated than that, much more developed.

I am not saying that economy should be complicated for user to understand,
I am saying, that behind "Base Tax rate" should be realistic computations and formulas, that should make the income, tax, production and economy as close to real life as possible.

----------------------------------------------

After reading and analyzing comments in this thread, i completely revamp it's structure, so here is my new proposal:

Key points of proposal:
-Every province produces up to 3 different goods at same time. (Can be cloth, iron, fish, etc. Just any good that is relevant to timeline.)
-Presence and quantity of certain products affect gameplay (Iron influences prices for recruiting army, Food influences army maintenance and province happiness, lack of food leads to revolts... and so on...)
-Every province has it's local prices for all the goods depending on Supply and Demand curves.
Demand curve is determined by the population in the province, bigger it is, more is demand for all kind of products. (Example, demand in food is expressed by (Province population*0.1), or Demand for iron = Total population * 0.02...

Supply curves are influenced by 2 factors - Local production and Trade.

First of all Local production satisfies local demand. If Demand is higher than supply, than province will lack this goods and cause some negative effects on it. To fill the gap between demand and supply, you will need to trade this goods into province. Trade comes from 2 sources: Realm trade, Trade between provinces that belong to you, and World trade, trade with the provinces, which belong to countries, you have signed trade agreements with.

Example: You have 2 Provinces, A and B, both have same demand for Food - 100
But, province A produces 50 food, while province B produces 150.
So, province B will send 50 food to A, to satisfy the Demand of the whole country.

Scenario 1: What if provinces A and B both lack Supply to fulfill demand?
Then you will need to find among your neighbors a country, which has excess of Food, sign trade agreement with them, and start trading food.
So your neighbors will help you to fight starvation.

This is for basic trade mechanics.

Now for price calculation.

The price will be set by 2 curves - Supply and Demand curves.
More supply - Lower prices
Less supply - higher prices

Scenario 2: "Why should i trade if i produce excess?"
If your country's total Demand for food is 1000, and your total Supply is 1200, you will trade 200 to other countries, if u have traded agreements with them.

If they lack prices, and u have them in excess, Your merchants will earn more money from trading with them, than with your local population, so your merchants will pay more taxes, and u will get more money for your country.

To decrease the overload on your PC, we would make local prices change on a random day every month.

NOW FOR TAX INCOME!

We will calculate each province GDP (Gross-Domestic-Product) by using this simple calculation.
Production of all the local province products produced*prices of produced products on local market of the province
This way we get total Net worth of products produced in this province.
We get tax by taking percentage of this GDP, let's say 10%.
So every province gives is 10% of their GDP in tax.

------------------------------
Effect of trade on local GDP
------------------------------
-If we export products from province, we decrease local supply and increase local prices, so our GDP increases, due to icnrease to prices, so, More u trade, higher your GDP is, more in Taxes you get!

BUT!!!! If you impoer products from other countries, your Local supply increases, and your local prices decrease, and your local GDP decreases, so you get less taxes!

MORE YOU EXPORT - HIGHER YOUR Tax incomes are, lower your bonuses from excess products are as well.
MORE YOU IMPORT - LOWER YOUR Tax income is, less penalty for lack of products you get!

P.S. Food demand will be satisfied by 3 different supplies: Grain, Meat, Fish.

Looking forward for more criticism and proposals, together we make our lovely games better!

Last edited:
yeah, that's true, thank you for your response.
Btw, i think that PDS needs to make 1 game like, that will cover all history peridos.
But start with only one period, and add others through DLCs

Example:
Game title "Paradox Grand Campaign"
During release, the start date is 700BC, and there are 3 scenarios
They release several patches that add some stuff to this era, then
the make a huge DLC, that expands this game to new date, 300BC, with some scenarios,
And it goes this way, releasing DLCs like every year adding new timile for existing game.
With DLC, not only new timeline is created, but many new features is added.

So basically, i would like 1 framework, that would have a lot of timelines in it.
This would allow cross-saving feature for timelines...

PDS are already working on it. The game will be sold in a bundle with a supercomputer and go on sale for a cheap 600,000 $. You can also wait for the next Steam Sale and get 10% off.

It was a nice read but there are many problems with this. It is simply not possible for this to happen any time soon because of the mass calculations the game would require to do for one simple thing. The amount of processing power it requires far exceeds the power of today's computers. Maybe in 2030!!!

Owww, seems like u r not familiar with modern PCs.

They can process thousands of calculations every milisecond!

BTW, to shock you, this system is very close to Vic2 economic system, but more advanced, set to local province prices, not the world.
So, even 5 years ago, such a system was possible. Really, i don't think PC performance would be an issue.

To Mef:

I understand ur jokes, but clearly, you are wrong.
Honestly, PDS games are kinda outdated comparing to modern games because of lack of 3D graphics, and lack of computations. It doesn't eat much resources at all.
Honestly, This won'be 10 games in one.
This would be one game, with 10 timelines, each giving some extra features to the games.

Last edited:
Owww, seems like u r not familiar with modern PCs.

EU4 slows down considerably if you do as little as add a few more trade nodes.
Sure, you could spend some extra budget on better threading and other optimizations after you already spent a large amount of money on doing a very complicated economic simulation, but that can only do so much. Who'd pay for that budget btw?

yeah, i am maximlist i know that.

I've already thought, that they could make Vicotria 2 Economic and PoPs system to every game, cause it would be relevant to any era.

What i want more, is the effect of economic dimplomacy and trade agreements on nation's welfare.

Example, if you are playing as Prussia, you will lack food, so you will seek trade agreements with countries who will be able to trade food to you.

What i mean, is adding "Trade agreement" option in diplomatic section.

Sometimes it would benefit both, sometimes benefit only one country...

So, even 5 years ago, such a system was possible. Really, i don't think PC performance would be an issue.

1. Yes, but this mean all of us must buy new PC + system to deal with this "awesome" game? Selling game for 10% potential consumers is not good idea:)

2. Did you try playing Pride of Nations, Supreme Ruler 2020, or Victoria 2 PDM mod? They are good games, but lag is big (and for me MAIN) issue there.

3. What about multiplayer? How many of upload and download speed player need to play on good speed (not 1 day per one minute).

Edit: Your ideas are fine, I would like to see there in any future game of PDS. With automatic system of trade too.
More or less like in East vs West .

Last edited:
yeah, thank you.

That's why i post my ideas here, because with criticism they improve.

Now my proposal is this one:

Every province can make up to 3 different products at same time.
Quantity of material depends on this factors: Technology, Population, Quantity of product in the whole province.
This 3 factors give us Supply.

Then, each province, based on it's population has Demand for each product.

Then we mix Supply and demand curves in each province, and we get price of product in certain province.

Then With Trade mechanism, trade agreements, Supply curves shift, changing the price...

And let the price change every month, to decrease PC overload.

Going to edit the thread...

Not enough aggregation.

I propose this, every province produces one product. And the base tax rate is static, except for small changes thorugh events and decision.

Nah to be honest I like the ideas, but I think they cost way too much computing time, also they would make the game hard so it'd be harder to have that feeling of success, which is necessary to keep customers.

You should probably write fromulae down for a mod though.

I like your basic premise of a more realistic economy sim, Trexeth. Especially for a Victoria era game. The problem is though that simulating an economy is almost impossible. You are 'the one who knows economics quite well', and so will appreciate the calculation problem both in real world economics and in a game.

However, even if a highly simplified system could be implemented, Paradox would then run into the problem that many gamers don't really want a true to life economy simulator, they want a balanced game that is fun.

Look at Victoria 2 system-> tweak and implement in other games (so it meets different historical periods)-> no need for new economic system.