• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LiberiusX

Field Marshal
87 Badges
Feb 5, 2011
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Lead and Gold
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
I'm kind of new to Vicky 2. I've played a few civilized countries in the New World, Japan, and the USA. Each has been fun in its own way. I think I'm now ready to start mixing things up in Europe. Do you have any recommendations?

GB seems like it may be a bit overwhelming.
France seems balanced and in a good position to colonize, so it may be the best place to start. How hard is it to hold on to the monarchy?
Prussia seems like it would be fun to grow into Germany, but I don't even know where to begin with an influence strategy.
Austria seems like a much more challenging Prussia with many internal problems.
Is Bavaria any fun or would it be too difficult?
How Hard is it for Sardinia-Piedmont to unify Italy?
What problems does Russia face?

Any other suggestions with Great Power potential?

Prussia and France make for good playthroughs.

Austria is a bit tougher but more satisfying if you're able to pull it off.

Sweden is another interesting option.

S-P is easy to unify Italy. Just spam prestige tech to become a GP, and wait for the redshirts to appear.

Well I love to play as Austria, middle of the Europe can expand into Balkans, Rus or even Germany, insane resource potential, Coal and Iron, the bread and butter of Vic 2.

Currently number 1 GP in 1920 or so, 1/2 (switches often) on Prestige, 4th on Industry, 1st Military, just won big great war: A-H(me)+ Germany +Italy vs UK,US,FR and Soviets, too bad the selfish Germany was leader of the alliance and didnt push for my demands, but still good game, colonized half of Africa, 1st on Rubber production about 110.

From begining you face low literacy as your biggest problem, 4% clergy with NF is a must, 1st go for +NF tech (for more clergy focus +plurality), then education up to Darwinism +50% edd eff., increase RP techs asap ofc, after that with military-industrial complex its easy to catch up on those techs, + pick tax efficiency in commerce, those 2nd tier 2 from left can give you very nice boost ot income, can grab Bosnia and stuff from Ottomans, really many many posibilities.

I dont play US, Germany, UK, FR because I find them way too easy.

If you want some fun and challenge go for Austria, China, Turkey, Spain, Brazil, Portugal,...some other south americas or even USCA (united states of central america) can be fun, damn even Mexico.... so many choices :D

Well, totally love the 2 sicilies. No coal, no Iron. This means you'll have to industrialize by brute force. This is kinda hard but also fun, and unifying italy means trouble with Austria, wich is also very hard but extremely rewarding. Wait for one of the endless austro-german wars to try your luck.

Also, it has a great potential to colonize northern Africa. Chop down Algeria for it's (almost none) iron and Marroco. Odds are you'll face a hard time, but hell!, this is the main purpose. I never played as UK because of the easiness of it's position.

As Comrade110 mentioned, USCA is a hell of great game too, even more challenging than 2 Sicilies.

Prussia, Sardinia, 2-Sicilies are good to learn the influence game. Prussia is easier since you have the options to use war to secure your sphere.

France is a bit too easy to be interesting, at least for me, you have a big population, a nice literacy and it's easy to block Prussia from forming the NGF (Left bank of the Rhine decision let you take a Prussian state for 4 infamy). They're in a good position to colonize Africa with a lot of coastal states to build lvl 3 bases etc.

Netherlands can be a bit more challenging, retake Belgium try to hold your colonial empire and expand without having that many home ports, balance between Prussia and France as allies or foes...

If you don't want to go with Great Powers, I think Two Sicilies and Greece are your best choices. Greece can be especially daunting but it is an enjoyable playthrough.