• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

z6hHwc4Z

Private
18 Badges
Feb 6, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Magicka
  • The Kings Crusade
  • King Arthur II
  • Impire
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III
I don't know if my game is broken or what (I tried the overhaul mod HIP + other sub/mini-mods and then deleted them after a few days) but I was playing as the King of Germany minding my own business and all of a sudden, I see on my notification screen that I became King of Italy. The last king was Charles the Bald and he has a negative opinion on me now because I "usurped" his title.

What
The
Eff

I have strong claims on all the kingdoms and my wife has weak claims on all the kingdoms and I am not at war with anybody at the time that happened. It was around the year 880 so I don't know if that's how it's supposed to happen historically or my game is broken from trying a bunch of mods and traces of them are still left.

Can anyone provide any explanation or should I reinstall my game?

I checked the mods folder and the only mod I have there is the tooltip font mod so I *think* my game should be clean/OK... unless this game or mods like HIP installs their mod files on another path/folder.

There might have been a faction within Charles the Bald's territories which declared war on him to install you in Italy, which then succeeded, meaning that you gained the Kingdom.

Sounds like a very historical Karling game so far. Did Louis II die?

Edit - it seems I misread the OP. Charles the Bald was King of Italy... so a faction war to install you as King sounds the most logical to me as well.

There might have been a faction within Charles the Bald's territories which declared war on him to install you in Italy, which then succeeded, meaning that you gained the Kingdom.

Ah, this could be it!

I know I've gotten a bunch of those notifications from someone trying to install me as the king and I should wish them luck etc. and just disregarded them because I incorrectly assumed nothing would come out of it.

Thanks!

Yeah, this is probably it. :)

Whew, I'm glad I didn't break my game from trying all those mods...
You can't break the game with mods. The whole point of CK2's modding functionality is that it should never touch the game files unless you choose to do so. The people who make HIP are among the most experienced CK2 modders out there, they wouldn't do anything that could mess with the game itself.