• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zzzzz...

No blood! No bone! No ash!
104 Badges
Feb 27, 2008
  • King Arthur II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Semper Fi
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Galactic Assault
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Iron Cross
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Lead and Gold
  • Legio
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • East India Company
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
AAR-Banner_zpsb89536c3.png

A Bulgaria AAR​

Bulgaria is the third power in the Balkans. It achieved the unification of the San Stefano lands by choosing the side of the Central Powers and prevailed. However, the losing nations of the Balkans are seeking revenge against the victorious Bulgarians. Bulgarian minorities still live in the lands of Constanta and Adrianople. The Tsardom is steered by the new Tsar, Boris III, in the wake of the apocalyptic Black Monday, who later on suffered an early death. Georgi Kaloyanov Stoyanov is a State Security officer recalling the moments of the great Tsar by interviewing those who were with him during his short reign.

----------------

Settings:
Normal/Normal
IC & Tech Team takeover: off

Yeah. I did say February. So I'm keeping my word. Barely. :p I'm suppose to go with Kurdistan but I'm having some difficulty on writing it, but the gameplay is fine. Regarding this AAR, I'm trying an interview style insprised by Max Brooks' World War Z, mixed with "Middle Republic" style. Hopefully I get to pull this off.

-----------------------

Last edited:
Yaaay! Another Zzzzz... AAR! Bulgaria is one of my favorites to play and I am sure that your roleplaying and storytelling will make it even more interesting!

Hello old friend! Nice to have you here.

Count me in I hope you will write an AAR that will last a thousands updates.
Ahhhh I'm sorry to disappoint, but my Bulgaria and Kurdistan AARs will be short ones, unlike China and Russia.

Boris was a caring soul...he helped conquer half of Greece as part of Bulgarian Empire I.
He is! *salutes*

Yaaay! Another Zzzzz... AAR! Bulgaria is one of my favorites to play and I am sure that your roleplaying and storytelling will make it even more interesting!
Thank you! I really want to make it interesting, we won't be just defeating the Belgrade Pact and then call it a day.

What the funeral procession on picture?
This one.

kovcheg_zps0a0698cd.jpg

I can't confirm, but it looks like Tsar Boris' funeral.

---------------
I'll update after the pictures are done and uploaded.

Last edited:
I demand you give the Turks a good whipping, it wouldn't be Bulgaria if you didn't. :p Following!
I'll do my best. :p

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------

Prologue – A Summary of the History of Modern Bulgaria

Bulgaria received its rebirth at the aftermath of the Russo-Turkish War of 1877, with the signing of the Treaty of San Stefano. The resurrected nation stretches from the Black Sea on the east, to Macedonia on the west; from the River Danube on the north, to the Aegean on the south. Overnight, the Tsardom of Bulgaria became Russia's champion in the Balkans. However, the other great powers saw the champion as a threat to stability and balance, and was cut down to pieces with the Treaty of Berlin. According to the second treaty, Macedonia, Eastern Rumelia, and parts of Thrace would be returned to the Ottoman Empire. Pirot and Vranje will be given to Serbia, and the north-east borderlands will be given to Rumania. The greatly reduced Bulgaria will be an autonomous part of the Empire, but de facto, it is wholly independent from Kostantiniyye. To the victorious and elated Bulgarians, the Treaty of Berlin of 1878 was a crime without precedence.

sanstefano_zpsdfe8ba75.png

The San Stefano and Berlin Treaties

On the 18th of September 1885, 7 years after the Berlin Treaty, the Bulgarian people from the princedom on the north, and the Ottoman province of Rumelia on the south have declared their unification from the city of Plovdiv. The Bulgarians had enough of the nefarious treaty. The unification was, of course, opposed by the villainous great powers, but what was surprising is that Russia opposed it too. Serbia, with some persuasion from Vienna, have unrighteously attacked the unified princedom to knock out a future rival in the Balkans. The war have reached its high mark with the Battle of Slivnitsa. It resulted with the younger Bulgarian army commanded by just a cadre of captains defeating the larger Serbian army. The decisive battle have confirmed to the world that the unified Bulgaria is here to stay.

slivnitsa_zpsd93f4b39.png

Battle of Slivnitsa

After the victory against the Serbians, the Kynaz (Prince) of Bulgaria, Alexander of Battenburg, was forced to abdicate by the pro-Russian officers of the army. The next prince to occupy the throne was Kynaz Ferdinand I, the founder of the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha line in Bulgaria. After being under de jure rule by the Ottomans for three decades, the new prince have officially declared independence in the 5th of October 1908. Ferdinand I became the new Tsar (King) of Bulgaria.

ferdinand_zps93eb3f46.png

Ferdinand I. The new Tsar of Bulgaria

Without the Bulgarian lands under their proper rule, the new Tsar and his kingdom soon found themselves at war again allied with the Greeks and the Serbians, against the Ottomans. This was to be known as the First Balkan War. Bulgaria took most of the damages and did most of the war efforts. Not only that, they were swindle too by their backstabbing allies by giving Bulgaria only a part of the San Stefano lands. This trickery was not tolerated as the kingdom goes to war again, known as the Second Balkan War, but this time, against their former allies. Bulgaria had stepped on too far as the Ottomans and the Rumanians joined the war resulting in defeat with the Treaty of Bucharest of 1913.

bucharesttreaty_zps08992265.png

Treaty of Bucharest. While the Bulgarians lost in the end, it was still a net gain, but the price was heavy.

The country now has to abandon its dream of Balkan hegemony. However, Bulgaria's fortunes have greatly reversed with the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand which have set Europe on a road to the world's first mechanised butchery – the Weltkrieg. But God is on the Central Powers' side, as the Peace with Honour was signed in 1921, and Bulgaria have successfully unified the San Stefano lands. Tsar Ferdinand's dream of a complete and unified Bulgaria is now a reality.

kaiserandtsar_zps40cf63d9.png

Kaiser Wilhelm and Tsar Ferdinand

ww1_zps1a371746.png

Bulgarian troops during the Weltkrieg

The victorious tsar is now growing old and unable to rule, but he is content. The Tsar abdicated from his throne, and passed it to his popular son - Tsar Boris III.
Bulgaria has entered a new era in its history.

borisofbulgaria_zps50a9a5d6.png

Tsar Boris III of Bulgaria. From the House Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

Ferdinand is handsome in german clothes.Good luck Z,lets slavic pride rise

Subbed

Subscribes

Ferdinand is handsome in german clothes.Good luck Z,lets slavic pride rise
Bulgarian pride only. Them Serbs will receive some asskicking. :p

Let's hope the Tsar won't die as early as he did in real.
I have to say, I'm playing beyond the Belgrade Pact, and the world is getting very interesting. Now I'm thinking of delaying his death to add more content.

Subscribes
Thanks and welcome!

The Belgrade pact will be crushed! Again! :)

By the way, today is Bulgaria's national holiday, the date when the Treaty of San Stefano was signed.
Nice coincidence! Didn't know that.

---------
Update is coming soon

~ About the Author ~​

Georgi Kaloyanov Stoyanov was born in Plovdiv in the 23rd of August 1918, 3 years before the Peace with Honour. The second child of Kaloyan, a civil servant; and Anna, a nurse. He is the only son with his three sisters. He secured a place in Sofia University where he graduated with a Law Degree. He worked shortly as a solicitor until he was recruited by the Darzhavna Sigurnost (State Security) during the 1940s. Stoyanov was one of the team from the DS to be directly involved in the investigation of the late Tsar Boris's death. The conclusion was that there is no foul play detected on His Majesty's death, but Stoyanov took some extra time to interview some figures that brought light within Tsar Boris' short administration.

~ His Majesty's Accession ~

mapbulgaria01_zps76519bc4.png

The Lion of the Balkans stands proudly on the centre. Its jealous enemies surround her: The National Legionary State of Rumania in the north, the Kingdom of Serbia in the north-west, and the Kingdom of Greece in the south. The rest of the terrestrial border was connected to the Ottoman Empire; Adrianople and Tsargrad to the south-east, and the vassal state of Albania in the west. Bulgaria touches the waters of the Black Sea and the Aegian Sea.

The country is often referred to as the “Prussia of the Balkans” with its large military relative to its size. To complement its military prowess, the country enjoyed political support from Germany, Austria-Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire. This protects the Lion from her enemies, but will this potent mix continue to serve her as the world turn upside down?

vitoshabulgaria_zps8c4f73ec.png

Vitosha Nature Park. Two years since the death of Tsar Boris III

The oldest nature park in the Balkans. It was declared as such back in 1934, when it was proposed by some noblemen that the natural land must be protected. The Tsar supported the motion. It was one of the first laws His Majesty have passed. By the bench on the agreed location, the man was sitting, staring at all the falling autumn leaves. Georgi Kioseivanov is the foreign minister during the Filov Ministry of 1934. After some pleasantries and small chat, the statesman began to talk business.

“The Tsardom was doing well on recovering from the Great War. I'm just the foreign minister during the Filov government but I can see from the reports of the finances and agriculture ministers that the country is stable and growing. We have switched to Tobacco as our main export, replacing grains. Land reforms have improved the yield and efficiency. Land grants to landless families. The number of small businesses grew, both in agriculture and industry. Between the 'Peace with Honour' and the 'Black Monday', the country grew at an average rate of 5.3 percent, roughly equal or ahead among other European countries.”

Then there's the Black Monday of 1936

“Yes. It was harsh.” he smiled as if it was some distant memory “The Reichstag ordered the closing of the banks. That was... during the start of February, I believe. But that was from Germany, and the initial effect here wasn't that dramatic. And only when the shockwave reached us, that's when we starting to truly feel it. Companies owned by Germans and Austrians closed down, then soon our own closed down. Unemployment grew. Shares fell down. Investors pulled out. Our exports became pathetic, and the Lev is dropping.”

blackmonday_zps6fea8bce.png

berlinstockex_zps8f34184d.png

Berlin Stock Exchange​

What about the Belgrade Pact?

“The Belgrade Pact? They weren't called like that at that time. But yes, Serbia, Rumania, and Greece too suffered from the Black Monday, but to a lesser extent compare to ours. Their economies, like it or not, are connected to Germany, one way or the other. Unless you turn Syndicalist.”

“[Rumania] did starting to feel brave after the Berlin Crash. First, they have re-occupy Oltenia, sending their troops in the region, which violated the Bucharest Treaty of 1918. Then they have also nationalised the oil industry from the Germans.”

oltenia_zps27c1d768.png

ploestioil_zps4882743e.png

What is your reaction to this? What did the cabinet and the Tsar thought?

“I think we should have invaded them in the first place. Just invade those so-called “Legionnaires”. They are isolated due to their crazy government - whatever you call that. The Belgrade Pact wasn't built by then, so the Greeks and the Serbians are somewhat iffy to them. Lukov [the Chief of General Staff] assessed that our larger forces can bring them down. Never mind that our weapons are obsolete, the Iron Guards are in a worse condition.”

“The Tsar was open to a fight, but he seems reluctant considering that His Majesty is new and he doesn't want his first big decision to be a fuck-up, right? But he wants it. He wants a secure northern border and the Ploesti oil fields. Filov fully opposed him. The effects of the Berlin Crash will soon come to our lands – he said, and that we need to be prepared for it. The debate ran back and forth. I didn't believe him. That's Berlin's problem, I thought. The Tsar gave up. I'm pissed that we let the Vlachs get away with it.”

Is that when Filov and the Tsar starts to clash?

“No... yes. They have bumped against each other before. But it was Oltenia that made the Tsar sees Filov as a threat.”

What do you think of the Tsar and Filov, personally?

“Like I said before, His Majesty is reluctant on making decisions because of his inexperience. But he is cunning. He became rash at some point but cunning. I actually underestimated him, especially during the 1938 Election. Filov, on the other hand, is thick as a brick, and unpopular. He became the Prime Minister because of his network he set up during Tsar Ferdinand's time.”

bulministry01_zpsb4f06fd5.png

Do you think the Tsar made a bad decision? Kioseivanov stopped to juggle and form his words. So I rephrased the question; I mean, looking back now, if you could convince the Tsar that war is the better option than wait, would you do it?

No. I understand what you meant. It wasn't a bad decision because the Black Monday did reached us within a month, and it was brutal. So, His Majesty was playing safe. We could have eliminated one of the Belgrade Pact before they could form if it wasn't for Filov. But in the end, it wasn't a grave decision.”

What about the reactions from other powers like Germany?

“That one is a headache for the Germans. Ploesti is their main supplier of oil for both domestic and military use. Add the Caucasian War later on 1937, the Germans have to rely on the Ottomans and Africa, but they have limited amounts. Goring's development in Nigeria hasn't come to fruitation yet at that time. So the Kaiser has to deal with the unreliable Persians for a while until the end of the 4th Balkan War. The Turks didn't like the Persian deal, but who cares.”

“The Germans did try to win the Ploesti back. They tried to turn the Iron Guards against themselves with intrigue and bribes. Cuza's faction became central to this plot, trying to gain influence and control. But it failed, their under-the-table transactions were exposed. Cuza and his cohorts were executed.”

ploestioil02_zpsb258b901.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Last edited:
When is this interview done? Sometimes I feel like it's way later, sometimes it seems contemporary? :)

When is this interview done? Sometimes I feel like it's way later, sometimes it seems contemporary? :)
I would put it roughly by 1946-ish. So it's pretty recent. I don't want to make it too far. I still haven't finished my game so I don't know when exactly. :p The death event fires at 1943, but you know, I can change that as a backup plan.

I'd like to make a recommendation: if this interview is happening in 1946, you should use the past tense instead of the present. It's a little disorienting. You could also try to work a little more on your grammar. I'm not bashing, just trying to help. :)

Can't say I have a high opinion of either Boris III or Filov (he was a major advocate of Bulgaria joining the Axis in our timeline). I hope a democratic party wins in 1938.

A Bulgarian AAR, interesting. I Subscribe.

Anyway i've never been satisfied by having Filov and co in power in KR Timeline in 1936. These guys were non-partisan and nominated because they were Boris's men and because the country's political system has collapsed with the Zevno coup and the King counter-coup in 1935.

Im'not bulgarian nor specialized in Bulgarian history, so i can be wrong, but i think that with a Bulgarian victory in WW1, the Zevno has no chance to make a Coup, so no Filov in 1936.

Last edited: