• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FrostPegasus

Prince of Awesome
120 Badges
Aug 17, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Iron Cross
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
How exactly do regnal numbers work when a character has two names in game?

eg. Would it be Wilhelm August I or Wilhelm I August, and when succeeded by a Wilhelm Magnus would that be Wilhelm Magnus I or Wilhelm II Magnus?

How exactly do regnal numbers work when a character has two names in game?

eg. Would it be Wilhelm August I or Wilhelm I August, and when succeeded by a Wilhelm Magnus would that be Wilhelm Magnus I or Wilhelm II Magnus?
As far as I have seen, if the game automatically generates it (for example, if the child is born Anbasa Wedem in the case of Nubians or Abyssinians, then the regnal number shall go between the names, but if you write the name in the text box yourself, it will go after.

That is as far as I have seen and experienced.

In the case you have written, it would almost certainly see "Wilhelm August" as one name and "Wilhelm Magnus" as another, with both being the First of their Name, unless the game generated the name itself.

Reactions:
I see. Well thanks for the speedy reply. That's such a damn shame though.

No. It was how id worked. Look at the counts of Barcelona:

-Ramon Borrell I
-Berenguer Ramon I
-Ramon Berenguer I
-Ramon Berenguer II
-Berenguer Ramon II

You see Ramon and Ramon Berenguer aen't counted together. The most countries take such names together (but not Sweden. They count Carl XVI Gustaf and Charles XIV John with the same name)

My biggest pet peeve is that Regnal names cannot be done the way you described. As someone obsessed with high regnal numbers, I would love Wilhelm I Augustus, to be succeeded by Wilhelm II Leo. Just game mechanics.

Reactions:
I would actually suggest not using middle names as they were vanishingly uncommon in the European Middle Ages. Right now I can just think of Anund Jacob, King of Sweden in the 11th century, and John Henry, Margrave of Moravia in the 14th century, as examples of European noblemen with more than just one name.

I would actually suggest not using middle names as they were vanishingly uncommon in the European Middle Ages. Right now I can just think of Anund Jacob, King of Sweden in the 11th century, and John Henry, Margrave of Moravia in the 14th century, as examples of European noblemen with more than just one name.

It was sort of a custom among early Piats. Mieszko Lambert. Wladyslaw Herman. Kazimierz Karol. It seems they were mixing Polish/Slavic and Christian/Germanic names.

No. It was how id worked. Look at the counts of Barcelona:

-Ramon Borrell I
-Berenguer Ramon I
-Ramon Berenguer I
-Ramon Berenguer II
-Berenguer Ramon II

You see Ramon and Ramon Berenguer aen't counted together. The most countries take such names together (but not Sweden. They count Carl XVI Gustaf and Charles XIV John with the same name)

I don't think this was really standardized. Weren't the numbers almost always added post-factum by later historians? I don't think they used them that often before the late middle ages.

I don't think this was really standardized. Weren't the numbers almost always added post-factum by later historians? I don't think they used them that often before the late middle ages.

I don't know about elsewhere, but after the Norman Conquest, the English kings where definitely common given numbers in the Middle Ages by the chroniclers and letter writers- Edward III was referred to as such in practically all sources that I have seen. Edward I was sometimes also referred to as Edward, the first of that name since the Conquest.

My biggest pet peeve is that Regnal names cannot be done the way you described. As someone obsessed with high regnal numbers, I would love Wilhelm I Augustus, to be succeeded by Wilhelm II Leo. Just game mechanics.

Me too. I wish I could reach high regnal numbers without naming all my dynasty the same, usually the ones I give THE name die early. It'd be awesome if I could call them William Louis, William Robert, William Henry, and they ascend as William I, II, and III.

Reactions:
Me too. I wish I could reach high regnal numbers without naming all my dynasty the same, usually the ones I give THE name die early. It'd be awesome if I could call them William Louis, William Robert, William Henry, and they ascend as William I, II, and III.

On the topic of their namesake dying early, I said it'd be awesome if when you succeeded to the throne you got the chance to change your regnal name.

Reactions:
What are other cultures that separate the names?

It's just seperated if it's a douple name. And German for exemple. The Prussiankings (not in CK timeline) have Frederick William, William Frederick, William and Frederick each counted as a own name.

In the Northern March Lothar Udo and Udo were counted as the same... So they use the second name for counting too. I personaly think cultures who would use Henry I Martin and Henry II William simple shouldn't use the second name. The name isn't important there. Second names should only be used if they are important for counting. Like in Germany of Spain. And I'm sure I could found exemples from other cultures.

Messed up numbering is just being historically accurate. Charles II & V, the Popes, everyone had messed up regnal numbers

In my opinion the best option would be to add support for placeholder for the regnal number in the name (for example \R), then only the part before placeholder would be taken in to consideration for determining regnal number. The position of the regnal placeholder should be stored in culture files, by default propably end.

So for kings named (in order):
Wilhelm August \R
Wilhelm Magnus \R
Wilhelm August \R
Wilhelm Magnus \R

You would have:
Wilhelm August
Wilhelm Magnus
Wilhelm August II
Wilhelm Magnus II

And for kings named:
Wilhelm \R August
Wilhelm \R Magnus
Wilhelm \R August
Wilhelm \R Magnus

You would have:
Wilhelm August
Wilhelm II Magnus
Wilhelm III August
Wilhelm IV Magnus

Last edited:

You can name them the same. I once have two Sophies and one Sofie. I guess it's the name for boys.

I believe naming many children with the same name actually happened in history. For example Manuel I Komnenos had 3 sons named Alexios, in order to get the AIMA prophecy fulfilled.

Not only Manuel. Caesar had a sister named Iulia (or Julia), and he was Iulius (or Julius). Usually, fathers named kids with same name, usually as he was named (like Octavius for boys and Octavia for girls), most kids get the same name (even multiple boys and multiple girls), so one kid was Octavius, and forth was Quintus Octavius. And so on and so on.

Reactions:
In my opinion the best option would be to add support for placeholder for the regnal number in the name (for example \R), then only the part before placeholder would be taken in to consideration for determining regnal number. The position of the regnal placeholder should be stored in culture files, by default propably end.

Great idea. But it's not user-friendly and should be used only in code. In the game UI there should be some button that would add regnal number to certain position.

I hardly ever see numbers as my characters always end up with a damn title like the great, the wise, the unready etc... too many

Reactions: