• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sergeant
5 Badges
Oct 4, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
What it says above. The constant out of sync practically destroys multiplayer. Why hasn't Paradox taken the time to fix it? They were able to spend months on an abysmal random new world generator for EU4 that nobody in their right mind would use, but they can't take the time to fix Victoria 2's sync errors? Which basically block off the entire multiplayer side of the game?

What it says above. The constant out of sync practically destroys multiplayer. Why hasn't Paradox taken the time to fix it? They were able to spend months on an abysmal random new world generator for EU4 that nobody in their right mind would use, but they can't take the time to fix Victoria 2's sync errors? Which basically block off the entire multiplayer side of the game?

It's more a problem with your upload speed than the client.

What it says above. The constant out of sync practically destroys multiplayer. Why hasn't Paradox taken the time to fix it? They were able to spend months on an abysmal random new world generator for EU4 that nobody in their right mind would use, but they can't take the time to fix Victoria 2's sync errors?
Victoria 2 has... rather fewer players than EU3 did or EU4 does (to the point that - as I understand it - Paradox had real trouble actually turning a decent profit on V2). Fixing finicky, hard-to-diagnose networking problems in your least profitable title (when those problems are very much not the primary cause of its lack of profitability; V2 is significantly more simulationist than the EU3 franchise, and generally speaking, the higher your level of simulationism, the narrower your market) is not as effective a use of programmer time as implementing new features for your most profitable.

It also seems quite unlikely to me that the Paradox staff member best suited to developing a procedural generator for the New World is the same person as the Paradox staff member best suited to fixing finicky, hard-to-diagnose networking problems; Paradox do not strike me as the kind of company who subscribe to the "interchangeable morons" school of programmer recruitment.

Victoria 2 has... rather fewer players than EU3 did or EU4 does (to the point that - as I understand it - Paradox had real trouble actually turning a decent profit on V2). Fixing finicky, hard-to-diagnose networking problems in your least profitable title (when those problems are very much not the primary cause of its lack of profitability; V2 is significantly more simulationist than the EU3 franchise, and generally speaking, the higher your level of simulationism, the narrower your market) is not as effective a use of programmer time as implementing new features for your most profitable.

I didn't know that. Vic2 really is the most hardcore simulation Paradox has? I don't know the other titles...

Why do you think that fixing sync errors is something they haven't thought about? You think it's so easy right?
I think he paid for the product and he expects it to work, as simple as that.

Reactions:
I think he paid for the product and he expects it to work, as simple as that.

No, i get annoyed as hell, because this guy came in with a jerky attitude. I could understand his stupid comment, if developers ignored this problematic incident and pretended that it's all right.

I'm also frustrated, that multiplayer doesn't work sometimes, but usually does, don't get me wrong, but unnecessary hostility DESERVES unnecessary reaction. At least from me. If he wrote it in a normal fashion, I wouldn't even bother replying, so i'll give him a 7/10 troll attempt. He DID get me quite mad.

Sync errors never were limied to Victoria 2, anyway. With EUIV being your only other registered game this must probably come as a shock to you, but once upon a time PDS' games used to be somewhat half baked products.

Whatever is wrong with the current build will not be fixed. That is just how it is. Bring on Victoria 3.

No, i get annoyed as hell, because this guy came in with a jerky attitude. I could understand his stupid comment, if developers ignored this problematic incident and pretended that it's all right.

I'm also frustrated, that multiplayer doesn't work sometimes, but usually does, don't get me wrong, but unnecessary hostility DESERVES unnecessary reaction. At least from me. If he wrote it in a normal fashion, I wouldn't even bother replying, so i'll give him a 7/10 troll attempt. He DID get me quite mad.

How do you define "usually does"? As in you usually don't play more than 15 minutes so you usually don't play long enough for the sync errors that inevitably do happen? I'm glad you're mad, by the way, because someone who so mindlessly defends the entire multiplayer segment of a supposedly professionally made game being unusable deserves to be upset.

How do you define "usually does"? As in you usually don't play more than 15 minutes so you usually don't play long enough for the sync errors that inevitably do happen? I'm glad you're mad, by the way, because someone who so mindlessly defends the entire multiplayer segment of a supposedly professionally made game being unusable deserves to be upset.

15 minutes? More like 40 hours of MP. Not anything outstanding, but long enough, to have a good sence of what to expect from MP games.
This is also a reason why I know that in specific situations, sync errors do occur, and they have happened to me. I'm using steam, so i can only give you my experience with that. Usually when another party used a pirated or a non-steam copy of Victoria 2, sync errors are a possibility. Hamachi/other virtual LAN supporters is also a hit/miss. It can work or it sometimes doesn't.

But what I'm certain is, that if two steam users or more connect in-game through internet IP connection and without Hamachi and stuff like that, it works all the time, and i've tested this with multiple different people.

Well, since you feel YOUR unnecessarily hostile responses warrant some fired back, at you, I will.

You were the first person to respond to this thread, and the first with a "jerky attitude." Like Felix said, he probably expects the product to work as designed (and by Paradox's own description..) Face it, the game's been out what - 4 years? I can understand it not working correctly for a few months, but at this point - 2 expansions and how many patches later, it's clear PI has no intention of fixing a day 1 selling point - multiplayer. (Pretty sure that's 'false advertising' so he has every right to be angry, like the rest of us customers, ..meanwhile, in Sweden..)

He carried no hostility. Possibly frustration (the same frustration 3 of us were sharing last night, because we couldn't get 5 minutes into a game without sync errors.) Don't tell me it's "upload speed of the client", because A. the person in question has a 1mb/s upload speed and B. we were playing on a whopping lvl 2 speed. I'm certain a game designed back in the 00's isn't going to need more than that. You were the only person getting hostile. Perhaps you should channel that hostility into something useful, and help us convince Paradox that what's wrong needs being made right, then we can go forward. I mean, at this point, I have no desire or need for HoD, since it carries the same problems AHD does. There's three HoD sales just from our group gone down the drain, and won't help V3 come out any faster or with fewer gamebreaking bugs like this one. People wanting V3 (like myself, if MP wasn't a problem) should wish and pray for a fix, since more sales of the expansions = more money towards V3.

15 minutes? More like 40 hours of MP. Not anything outstanding, but long enough, to have a good sence of what to expect from MP games.
This is also a reason why I know that in specific situations, sync errors do occur, and they have happened to me. I'm using steam, so i can only give you my experience with that. Usually when another party used a pirated or a non-steam copy of Victoria 2, sync errors are a possibility. Hamachi/other virtual LAN supporters is also a hit/miss. It can work or it sometimes doesn't.

But what I'm certain is, that if two steam users or more connect in-game through internet IP connection and without Hamachi and stuff like that, it works all the time, and i've tested this with multiple different people.

I have yet to see a session between 3 people last longer than 2 hours. 2 people? We game all night. (We're using _separately purchased_ copies d/l'd from Amazon's client. Which is a bloody brilliant client, btw, it's nice not to need background tasks running just to play a game.) It doesn't matter in the end which version it is - the game files are identical, or we wouldn't be able to play MP anyway.

Please stop using 'pirated copies' as an 'out.' An 'excuse.' We're not and never would - I haven't pirated even so much as a song since the glory days of Napster.

Anyone *sensible* or from Paradox that is reading this - how do we enable LAN? We're all using W7 64 bit, and were all behind the same router. Yet, it's greyed out. I'd like to try it before I give up on MP altogether. Do I need to set up the router in a specific way? The game is already permitted thru the firewall of all 3 machines (two desktops and one lappy.) but I know nothing about router settings.

Well, since you feel YOUR unnecessarily hostile responses warrant some fired back, at you, I will.

You were the first person to respond to this thread, and the first with a "jerky attitude." Like Felix said, he probably expects the product to work as designed (and by Paradox's own description..) Face it, the game's been out what - 4 years? I can understand it not working correctly for a few months, but at this point - 2 expansions and how many patches later, it's clear PI has no intention of fixing a day 1 selling point - multiplayer. (Pretty sure that's 'false advertising' so he has every right to be angry, like the rest of us customers, ..meanwhile, in Sweden..)

Hey dude, i was following his attitude man, it's nothing wrong to be a jerk, but it's wrong to expect others being always tolerant to you if you act like one. As I said (or haven't, whatever), if he wrote it simple and clear: Paradox, i want you to fix my sync issues, because to me it's unacceptable that MP hasn't worked for me so far, I would understand his shit and even try to help him a bit.

He carried no hostility. Possibly frustration (the same frustration 3 of us were sharing last night, because we couldn't get 5 minutes into a game without sync errors.) Don't tell me it's "upload speed of the client", because A. the person in question has a 1mb/s upload speed and B. we were playing on a whopping lvl 2 speed. I'm certain a game designed back in the 00's isn't going to need more than that. You were the only person getting hostile. Perhaps you should channel that hostility into something useful, and help us convince Paradox that what's wrong needs being made right, then we can go forward. I mean, at this point, I have no desire or need for HoD, since it carries the same problems AHD does. There's three HoD sales just from our group gone down the drain, and won't help V3 come out any faster or with fewer gamebreaking bugs like this one. People wanting V3 (like myself, if MP wasn't a problem) should wish and pray for a fix, since more sales of the expansions = more money towards V3.

He carried no hostility? Dude, can't you read? Read at least what he replied to my post. As I said, he didn't bother explaining his situation more, so how the fuck can we help him. I gave him a general advice, even though he acted like a total bummer, because that advice usually works, because I actually want to help that dude.
Am I the only one that actually tries to help the OP? It's hard, if all info you give is some random insults at forum members and paradox. I'm not saying that I disapprove of his complaints here. All I want is him to express his concern in a way, that we can help him. I'm not so sure, that I would be able to give him the correct advice, to minimise his issues with multiplayer, but I sure would like to try, and I hope others would too.
As i said, I have also encountered many out-of-sync problems in Victoria, and on games like Age of empires, civilization (4 and 5) and other strategy games, (I won't lie, most likely though in paradox games),so i'm more than aware of this problem.

In the end, yes, it is totally fine to be upset with any issues you have, i wholeheartedly support that freedom, but present them in a civilised manner, and additionally, if you want others to try and solve his problem here on these forums, it might be a good idea, to provide various info you can get, of your situation. This is ofcourse, if you want to actually fix your problem yourself, rather than just moan to the devs about it.

All I can help is from my MP experience. But it's hard to be calm, when somebody finds it in a correct manner, to insult somebody with "well you must've played MP for 15 minutes, because i will not listen to your side of the story, because I will not believe it."