Why do you love Hearts of Iron & how would you explain it to a friend?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
World War 2 in 1:1 ratio and division level battles on map. Why i grand strategy more than tactical? In tactical it does not matter if you loose million men defending old lamppost, in grand strategy, all matters, and there are SO many ways to fight battle, while in tactical strategy anti tank takes out tanks, infantry takes out infantry and anti tanks, tanks take down everything, artillery is over priced shit and one who spams most tanks wins. And all your decisions matter, but if you do wrong one game is not over in 2 minutes, but like realisticly, mistakes are part of the game.
But then again, i am bad explainer. But i can explain this, quite clearly:
I love you paradox! :)

I'm not certain whether you want to give your uneducated friend an aneurysm or heart attack.

You can be Hitler and not be a douche!

Now this should be the slogan of the game!

Last edited:
Regina,

When Winston Churchill was asked by Roosevelt what World War II should be named, he replied, "The Unnecessary War." He meant that there were a plethora of mistakes that led to the war breaking out; of course, there were also a significant number of mistakes made after the war began.

Hearts of Iron, more so than other Paradox titles, is about rectifying mistakes: political mistakes, diplomatic mistakes, economic mistakes, and mistakes in execution of military operations. Whether you decide to pour German resources into neutralizing the possibility of American intervention into the war, or whether you better prepare the Red Army so that you do not lose millions of soldiers during the initial German invasion, you are fixing the mistakes of your historical counterparts.

That's really the essence of the series.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I like the attention to historical and geographical detail. WW2 is a period that I know relatively more about than other historical periods, so I enjoy seeing the correspondence with history as I play the game. I also enjoy the vast scale of the game and the combined arms - air sea and land battle - aspect. And of course the incredible music which I can listen to hours of.

Whats better than making Germany communist!?

I love Hearts of Iron because it's the richest, most detailed, and most in-depth strategy game I've ever played.

It's like the old Axis & Allies board game my friends and I used to play, but on steroids. Lots of steroids. Like so-many-steroids-not-even-A-Rod-or-Lance-Armstrong-could-keep-up levels of steroids.

That's pretty much how I would explain it...

This all seems so terribly familiar. Haven't I played this thread before?

;)

Not to be rude, but I wouldn't recommend any of the HoI games currently to a friend who has no idea how to play a GsG game, I would rather have him try out CK2 and EU4 first.

I loved HoI2 because it allowed me strategic masterpieces even with countries with limited capabilities, as Canada. I love the era because you have to combine warfare on land, sea and air to succeed. I love the series because you don't have just few single battles as highlights but an ongoing series of combat scenarios.

What I didn't like about HoI3 was that it lost that balance between granting smaller countries small victories and the global scale of war. Never got the same access to the game, never felt as if "I" would shape the fate of the world.

I love HoI because it makes you change your plans by the hour, much like modern warfare actually does.

I would explain it to a friend by saying: "Ever wonder what would happen if France had stopped Germany in 1940? Here's your chance to find out!"

HoI4 is great because it allows you to relive history and make extremely important and far reaching decisions, like whom to ally, what to build and how to prepare. Furthermore as WW2 is so well documented it enables me to imagine what happens in combat quite detailed whereas in other paradox games this might not always be the case. Furthermore what can be cooler than deciding to build massive tank armies and see how they crush your opponent's front line :).

HoI4 is great because it allows you to relive history and make extremely important and far reaching decisions, like whom to ally, what to build and how to prepare. Furthermore as WW2 is so well documented it enables me to imagine what happens in combat quite detailed whereas in other paradox games this might not always be the case. Furthermore what can be cooler than deciding to build massive tank armies and see how they crush your opponent's front line :).

HOI4 is not released yet :)

For being simulator. Simulator which lives on its own and answer for question: "What if". What if Japan didn't declare war on the USA. Would Japan run out of resources? What if Poland would set an alliance with Germany? What the world would be like? I like to make decisions and see the consequences of my choices. It's like a butterfly effect, when a small change at one place can result in large differencies in a later state.

Regarding to what we know about HoI4 so far, with the Paradox philosophy it will be even greater with AI adapting to various situations. I often just like to observe how game is playing on its own. What countries do, how Japan handle conquer Asia or how Germany manage war with Soviet Union.

But there are two key words: choices and their consequences.

Because I am a huge ww2 buff - and have been since my teens back in the good ol' 90's. I get to develop the weaponry and relive all the great campaigns that I love to read about. Its as if this whole bloody series was tailor-made just for me. And every installment has moved ever more in a direction that suits me (chain of command :)). Only gripe I've ever had was the HoI3 launch... lets try to avoid that this time around yea? :eek:o

As for friends I always just show it to them. And they either go: "oooohhh - but how do you 'insert question'?" - or - "yea... you're a freak". Its really a game that sells itself to those who have an interest in strategy and world war 2, but on the other hand its nigh impossible to get others interested. Happily there are many of the former!