• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DBtotalwar

Graf von Minden
7 Badges
Sep 18, 2011
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
Hello,

I released Canada as a dominion of myself (the British Empire), and of course the country was 85% British ethnically through colonial immigration. However, when I released it the "British" culture group was not present under the accepted cultures. I went into the files to see what was up and found this:

Code:
capital = 57
primary_culture = anglo_canadian
#culture = british
culture = french_canadian
religion = protestant

So as you can see the "#" seems to deactivate the British culture group, making Canada's British population second-class, which being 85% of the population, fairly effects gameplay.

Wanted to see if everyone has this problem.

Warm regards,

Heinrich

British people assimilate into being anglo Canadians.

Ah, okay. I was wondering why it was there, but then British was a culture group in Colombia.

Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd ask a quick question here: what's up with British Columbia? I know it joined Confederation a few years late, but does it really deserve to be a separate entity? They never seem to join Canada when Britain releases them and it gets under my skin. It would make more sense to have Newfoundland and Labrador kept separate since they didn't join Canada until 1949.

Can anyone tell me how to mod my game so that either a) Britain never releases Columbia; or b) Columbia is annexed to Canada when the latter is released; and c) Britain keeps Newfoundland when Canada is created?

You could play the POP Demand Mod (it has its own subforum in the mods forum). I don't know about the base game, but this mod at least also has an event chain regarding the British-American conflict over Columbia.

Thanks for the reply, Mark. I was partial to VRRP myself since it didn't bog down my laptop, but I did download PoD so I'll give it a try at some point and maybe take what parts I like for my personal use.

Thanks for the reply, Mark. I was partial to VRRP myself since it didn't bog down my laptop, but I did download PoD so I'll give it a try at some point and maybe take what parts I like for my personal use.

You could delete the cores of Columbia from each province that has them from the game. You could also remove the cores of Canada from Newfoundland so that when it's released they don't go with it.

Also, after I let the POPs assimilate from British culture, more than half of them assimilated to French Canadian culture, which makes sense (perhaps) for places in Quebec, but there were also a lot in the Northwest. Anyway, to make them way more likely or only assimilate to Anglo-Canadian?

You could delete the cores of Columbia from each province that has them from the game. You could also remove the cores of Canada from Newfoundland so that when it's released they don't go with it.
Ah, that's a simple solution, surprised I hadn't thought of that myself.

Also, after I let the POPs assimilate from British culture, more than half of them assimilated to French Canadian culture, which makes sense (perhaps) for places in Quebec, but there were also a lot in the Northwest. Anyway, to make them way more likely or only assimilate to Anglo-Canadian?
Strange, never seen that happen, but I haven't played Canada yet in HoD. When you say Northwest, do you mean Manitoba? There are many francophones in that area, but then they'd be mostly Metis and shouldn't assimilate immigrants. The only suggestion I can think of is to use a NF to attract migrants to a state with a large Anglo-Canadian majority.

The North-West is generally used as a term that originated in the USA to describe their north-western region: Washington/Oregon and some surrounding areas. British Columbia tends to get lumped in to the north-west description now as many Canadian's on the west coast also use it and are referring to the BC/Washington/Oregon area. Yukon and Alaska are considered north.
Basically an American saying that made its way north and was adapted. Even many Americans now in this region now are referring to the whole region, not just the US part when using this.

In some ways it also makes sense that there can be a large Francophone population in BC as a good amount live on Vancouver Island.
Being from said island is also why I know this, lol.

Well in the Canadian context "The Northwest Territories" could refer to Rupert's land or basically anything north and west of Ontario and Quebec depending on the timeframe.

The North-West is generally used as a term that originated in the USA to describe their north-western region: Washington/Oregon and some surrounding areas. British Columbia tends to get lumped in to the north-west description now as many Canadian's on the west coast also use it and are referring to the BC/Washington/Oregon area. Yukon and Alaska are considered north.
Basically an American saying that made its way north and was adapted. Even many Americans now in this region now are referring to the whole region, not just the US part when using this.

In some ways it also makes sense that there can be a large Francophone population in BC as a good amount live on Vancouver Island.
Being from said island is also why I know this, lol.

Yes, I understand but shouldn't that be from French Canadian migration to there? And not necessarily from a British culture assimilating to a French culture? I just think it makes much more sense if they assimilate into the Anglo Canadian culture

So is it in B.C. that you're seeing a lot of Brits assimilating into Franco-Canadians? That's very odd. Did you release Canada in the 1836 or the 1861 bookmark? I've been pondering a Canada game anyway so I'll have to keep an eye out for this.

So is it in B.C. that you're seeing a lot of Brits assimilating into Franco-Canadians? That's very odd. Did you release Canada in the 1836 or the 1861 bookmark? I've been pondering a Canada game anyway so I'll have to keep an eye out for this.

I released it as a dominion in 1910 after it was solidly British culture (nearly 2.1 million of 2.6 million), and had the party focuses.

Yes, I understand but shouldn't that be from French Canadian migration to there? And not necessarily from a British culture assimilating to a French culture? I just think it makes much more sense if they assimilate into the Anglo Canadian culture
Likely this, Franco-Canadian migration there.As far as I know, non-accepted population only assimilates into the primary population.

I hate how they did assimilation in the new world.Europeans should assimilated to European Americans in USA, European Canadians in Canada etc.The same could be done for Asians and those new categories should be Accepted Cultures.After that should they assimilate into the primary population.I hate it when in a year or two almost everyone becomes Yankees/Canadians and forgets their roots.