• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

gui1999

Corporal
13 Badges
Dec 26, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
Welcome to my first ever AAR! I will do my best to provide an interesting AAR as I try and create a new Asian Order!
As you may have guessed I will be playing as The Empire of Japan with For the Motherland 3.05 and with the Historical Plausibility Project (HPP) mod, version 3.0.0.

Difficulty = Normal
AI Control = None (the Emperor will make sure he is involved in all affairs of the State)
Updates = At least one per weekend and - if I have time - some in the week.
Aim = To become supreme ruler of Asia and/or the Pacific.
Rules = I will not be reloading games, etc. If I am losing - for example against Nationalist China - I will fight until the bitter end. I will also try and make all my decisions historically
plausible but that does not mean that I will be playing a scripted game (in other words: Invade Nationalist China, join Axis, prepare for Pacific Landings, etc)

So without further ado, let us begin!

Content

Prologue
The Emperor's vision - 1st January 1936

Chapter 1: Laying our Foundations! (1936-1937)
A Shift of the Imperial Cabinet
The Means of Production and a Re-Organisation of the Armed Forces
The small matter of a Coup d'état
The New Regime

The Naval Treaties and the Imperialist Alliance

Last edited:
Hey ! Welcome and congrats for your first post starting an AAR !!!

Please, can you increase the fontsize? I think it is unreadable in any monitor not using 640X480 res :p

Please, can you increase the fontsize? I think it is unreadable in any monitor not using 640X480 res :p

+1 to this.

Anyway, good luck with this! I would really like to see what you do with Japan!

Prologue - The Emperor's Vision

12 am, 1st January, 1936
'Emperor Hirohito awoke from a dream. It wasn't ,however, a nightmare. Rather it was the opposite. He had dreamt of a new and glorious Empire of Japan. It was politically stable and independent in the
truest sense. It was free from Western Imperialism and supreme ruler of Asia. From Hawaii to Tehran only one flag could be seen, that was the flag of Japan. The beautiful rising sun waved majestically with
the wind.
The Emperor was a liberator and a hero.

There were, however, many fragments missing.
What ideology was in power? A Democracy or an Autocracy?
Who had helped Japan rise to a position of power? The German Reich or The Allies?

These were the questions that haunted Emperor Hirohito the most.
Could it be that the British go to war with Germany? If so, who would the Emperor support? Would it be his old allies the British? Or had they betrayed him too much?

Now he stood before a world map, with creases where the map had been folded. There stood the Great Powers of the World: The United States of America, The French Republic, The United Kingdom and The
Soviet Union.

How would Japan join them and how would 'The Birth of the Rising Sun' take place.'

dafHn.jpg

461px-Emperor_Showa.jpg
japan___rising_sun_by_instinctarts-d3ct0s3.jpg

Last edited:
I Increased the font size to 4. I hope that you can fully see the text.:)

Last edited:
I Increased the font size to 4. I hope that you can fully see the text.:)
Well, now you have to be a blind man not to see it.

But, It would be fun to see a Allies Japan, as Axis Japan is getting old. To get in the Allies, just don't join anywhere until Germans attack Poland. You have two choice to get allies: To guarantee independence of Poland or to declare war on Germany when the invade Poland.

I won't really object to an Axis Japan that much also.

Hmmm interesting dilemma. Problem is that and allied Japan will be very restricted in its game. What is there to do after NatChi is conquered? Whatever asia minor is puppeted by the axis? Africa? Interesting roleplaying possibilities, but restricting gameplay.

Hmmm interesting dilemma. Problem is that and allied Japan will be very restricted in its game. What is there to do after NatChi is conquered? Whatever asia minor is puppeted by the axis? Africa? Interesting roleplaying possibilities, but restricting gameplay.

I think you're (somehow) able to join the Allies via decision when you're in war with Soviets (border skirmishes?), however I can't be 100% sure if what are the conditions in FtM version.

I think you're (somehow) able to join the Allies via decision when you're in war with Soviets (border skirmishes?), however I can't be 100% sure if what are the conditions in FtM version.
I am fairly sure that this is represented in the Historical Plausibility Project (for FTM) but not in the base FTM. I know that the skirmishes are. But we shall have to see what happens and the decisions that the Emperor will make.:laugh:

Last edited:
Perhaps a Comintern Japan would be nice? Or no faction at all.

I doubt Hirohito would be OK with that :D

Perhaps he should be replaced by Hirohitov then...

(terrible terrible staff I know)

Go Japan! Always one of the most interesting of the major powers to play as!

A Shift of the Imperial Cabinet:
7 am, 1st January, 1936
'Needless to say the Emperor had not slept after his vision. Instead he had called one of his aides and asked him for the grid with the different cabinet positions. Within minutes the aide had bought in an
ingenious invention. It had eighteen grids and eighteen cards, all which could be removed. These cards were used to designate ministerial roles and economic laws. More cards could be added to grids on the
bottom right, these used to designate occupation laws.

The Emperor spent all night assembling this new grid and had, by 7 am, completed the changes to the his Imperial Cabinet.
AQLZ6.jpg

Okada Keisuke - the happy amateur prime minister - had just managed to survive the 'purge'. Okada Keisuke had not been spared because of any personal desire but rather because such a high level sacking
would be sure to result in Civil War.

After much deliberation, the Emperor, decided that Hirota Koki could keep his job as Foreign Minister. He was a perfect model to the nation and a strong supporter of the allies. He was also a master of the art of compromise which will aid Japan in remaining diplomatically trustworthy while it embarked on its invasions of Asia.

Machida Chuji was perfect for the job of Armament Minister as his Laissez-Faire policies would help keep consumer demands low.

Fujie Keisuke inherited his position through friendship as well as skill. A close friend of the Emperor and a merciless 'Prince of Terror', Keisuke was exactly what the Emperor was looking for in a Minister of
Security.

Okamura Yasuji managed to use his political affiliations to gain favour with the Emperor. So when the 'purge' of the cabinet began, he was in a position of a safety.

Prince Kanin Kotohito was seen as having too much power and so the Emperor gave the Chief of Staff office to the liberal thinker Kanaichiro Tashiro. Not only did this help minimise the power of the outspoken Prince Kanin Kotohito but it also helped breath some fresh air into an ancient military.

The Emperor had met Yamamoto Isoroku a few times but considered the officer too fascistic to make a friendship with him. The Prime Minister had soon after appointed him as Head of the Air Force. The Emperor, however, thought that his real forte was in the Admiralty and so Hirohito made him Chief of the Navy.

Not wanting to give Yamamoto Isoruku too much power, the Emperor delegated his secondary role, as Chief of the Air Force to Hata Shunroku, a skilled aviator and army commander who would move the
focus of the Air Force from the sea to the land.

Happy with these changes he sent them to his aide who copied out the grid multiple times. By 8 am the aide had copied the grid nine times and sent them to all of the new cabinet members. Those who
now had no position in the Imperial Cabinet were sent their resignation papers, signed by the Emperor.

The first pillar of the foundation had been set, The Empire now had a new and innovative Cabinet.'

Last edited:
will be watching this as I have my own Empire of Japan HPP AAR :p

will be watching this as I have my own Empire of Japan HPP AAR :p

Cool, it's nice to see that I am not the only one trying to bring Japan to greatness. Also with the Historical Plausibility Project mod which really brings historical flavour into to the game. Will be
watching yours to! :laugh:

Last edited:

The Means of Production and a Re-Organisation of the Armed Forces:

12 am, 1st January, 1936:
Field Marshal Kanichiro Tashiro - our new Chief of Staff - sat at his wooden desk. His desk was full of reports and papers. They ranged from the navy to the army, from production to technology, it could be said
that Marshal Tashiro was a very influential member of the Imperial Court.

He reached a report which was titled 'Production' and just below it Prince Marshal Kanin Kotohito - his predecessor. He opened the report and found a page with the current 'production queue.'
'This is no good' muttered Marshal Tashiro. The production queue was almost entirely filled up by the navy. There were a few new planes for the Air Force - but even these were CAGS. The Army had absolutely no share of the Japan's Industrial Capacity.

Even the naval focus was appalling. The majority of the naval units being produced were battleships. He looked at the production quota provided to him by the Armament's Minister and got to work.

XJL2p.jpg

Barely an hour later he had finished. He had cancelled the construction of one destroyer and two battleships. In their place he had placed an order for four new divisions to be produced.
'Perfect' he said to himself, taking his cup of green tea.

Zkbbv.jpg

2 pm, 1st January, 1936
Prince Marshal Kanin Kotohito was looking outside his window. The view of Tokyo was beautiful. The old wooden houses and huts mingled in with the new governmental buildings. At this time all classes of
Japanese Society could be seen: the workers ready to go back to the factories, the middle class ready to go and work in an office and the rich walking to their friend's house to play bridge or chess. He was
interrupted by three loud knocks on the door:

170px-Ginza_in_1933.JPG

Tokyo

'Enter' said the Prince turning around. He saw that the man in the doorway was his most senior adviser and close friend Hachiro.
'Ah, it is you my friend' he said embracing his friend and gesturing for him to take a seat 'how can I help you?'
'Many within the command chain have been asking for a Re-Organisation of our land forces at Harbin, for our forces in Manchuria, and at Hiroshima, for our troops on the mainland and in the pacific colonies.
Appropriate numbers can be then delegated within the two theatres respectively.'
'Damn the command chain' exclaimed Kotohito 'they are all thieves and scoundrels! It is because of them that I no longer hold my position of Chief of Staff. Instead they delegate it to that imbecile of a man Marshal Tashiro who can barely hold a gun and treats military uniforms as though they are fancy dress!' he scorned slamming his fist on the table.
'Forgive me, your excellency' said Hachiro, overwhelmed by the outburst.
'It is my fault' said Kotohito, realising that Hachiro was not the one who needed a shouting at, 'you have done nothing wrong, you were simply trying to inform me on current events. So where were you?'
'Oh yes' said Hachiro, gaining his train of thought 'not only does this mean that we can create a more efficient command and defense system but it also means that we can show off our prestige with a
massive military parade in both cities and best of all, improve the Emperor's opinion of you.'
'I think that this is a great idea' said Prince Marshal Kotohito, pulling a smile on his face 'can you please go and get all the suitable documents which require signing by me.'
'I have them all with me' replied Hachiro, placing the documents on the desk. Kotohito took them and signed.

220px-IJA_Forces_in_Manchuria.jpg

Harbin

hiroshima_before_02_full.jpg

Hiroshima

Last edited: